Black Mesa Jeep

Wow this is a really impressive project. Great job, what other plans do you have? Wobbling hula girl on the dash?

1) I'm currently wiring up an fuse box from a junkyard car to run all my relays and fuses for lights and switches.
2)Roof rack, with shovel, axe, and crowbar.
3)Brush guard, and run cables from the corner of the brush guard to the roof rack as limb risers.

Get one of these too

black_mesa2.jpg

Get one of these too

black_mesa2.jpg

Got one, though they are kind of crappily made. Trying to rube the bubbles out will rub off the orange. I'm going to email valve and ask for a new one, because I paid $20 after shipping for this sticker and it's unacceptable that simply applying it messes it up.
4.jpg

I also took a fusebox from a junkyard car and made it my accessories box. Lights and switches involving relays run though it.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Love it! I want a Jeep now. Any more progress?

A small visual amount, but plenty of work. Over the summer it got 2 new(used) axles, new control arms off a Grand Cherokee narrowed to fit, and new beefier lower control arm mounts welded onto the front axle. Also a new Harbor Freight air horn. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. Also got new shock mounts welded to the rear.

Flexing in the fall, the swaybar is connected, so the front don't flex really at all in these, and if it was disconnected it would drive higher up the hill wile staying leveler:
newjeep012.jpg

These make the ground look deceptively flat, the whole trail is as a decent angle and the right front tire is about 30" up the berm.
newjeep013.jpg

newjeep014.jpg

newjeep015.jpg

newjeep019.jpg

New Horn:
newjeep020.jpg

New used front axle painted up and installed, all new steering links too:
newjeep021.jpg

Grand Cherokee control arms and HD axle mount:
newjeep022.jpg

Rear axle with new homemade shock mounts welded on, you can see the old mounts, they haven't been cut off yet. In order to install this axle I had to weld new spring perches on it at the correct angle:
newjeep024.jpg

These last three show how Michigan winters make rust explode on the side of your car:
newjeep025.jpg

newjeep026.jpg

newjeep027.jpg

Unfortunately I've started toying around with the idea of selling the Jeep and getting a grocery getter because I'm getting married this summer and will have to support both of us for 2 years while she finishes her degree.

You are so ****ing awesome. If you sell it you better sell it to someone who isn't gonna paint over all the HL stuff. If I had more than a few grand I would buy it :(

I only want about $3000 now that it's got new axles under it. It can fit 33" tires easily right now and have the proper gearing for them, but I only have 31's. If anyone seriously wants to buy it (which I'm not 100% on selling it yet) I'll give them a list of pro's and cons and what parts have been replaced.

Also, I'm in Michigan. Near the Mackinaw Bridge.

Grocery getter? You could carry plenty of groceries in that thing!

Mileage isn't a problem now, but when i'm pinching pennies to support both of us while she finishes her degree, 15-19 mpg will suddenly seem much worse than before. If I keep the Jeep it'll probably be parked semi-permanently after moving, we'll just share her Toyota Camry. ;(

Damn you grew into a old man over night! She's making you give up your precious jeep so you can buy and cook her food. How could you let us down like this!?

Damn you grew into a old man over night! She's making you give up your precious jeep so you can buy and cook her food. How could you let us down like this!?

She lets me buy all the guns I want though, as long as the bills are paid. Besides after she graduates I get to start the fun of building it all over again, except it'll come out of her paychecks, hehe, and the base Jeep will be newer and the lift nicer.

I'm buying a Savage 10FP soon, then i'll be getting any 2 of the following before summer, AK-74 (no not 47), SPAS 12, Saiga 12, another AR-15 + .22LR conversion. I also have to spend a few dollars on finnaly getting my CCW.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that some of the steering links i replaced the old ones with were for other vehicles to replace the hollow tie rod with a larger diameter solid one. I just have fun tinkering with stuff, my next small project is duracoating my AR-15.

If you sell this so that you can spend money on guns instead of gas, you had better get to work on modding all of your guns to recreate Half-Life weaponry :D good luck with the hive hand

Well if I buy a SPAS 12 the job is already done. Hehe. This is the go-to shotgun for games and movies because it's just plain bad ass.
shotgun5wu.jpg

spas12.JPG

Mileage isn't a problem now, but when i'm pinching pennies to support both of us while she finishes her degree, 15-19 mpg will suddenly seem much worse than before. If I keep the Jeep it'll probably be parked semi-permanently after moving, we'll just share her Toyota Camry. ;(

Just impress her with all the miles you can save by taking shortcuts offroad instead of being restricted to the streets like her wimpy Camry...

Back