Black Mesa? =O/

Reaction score
Over the past 4.5 years, I have been playing Half-Life and Half-Life mods. I have spent more hours doing so than in any other game, by far. I have beaten the Half-Life single player a good 4 time total, and also have beaten Opossing Force several times, and of course Blueshift once. If you add all those up, thats a LOT of hours in the Black Mesa Research Facility. I have grown to love the place...

But what is to become of the place? I really hope you get to see the good old BMRF a least once in HL2. Either that, or make an expansion pack set at least partially in Black Mesa.

How about you guys? Anybody not too keen on this whole City 17 thing?

City 17 looks and sounds awesome. However, I share your feelings. Black Mesa is like my home.:) Which is why im doing a return to black mesa mod.

We really can't tell much about the city17 thing and whether it's good until we learn about the story. Supposedly, we learn about why we are in City17 during the course of the game, so it's really part of the mystery. I'm sure BM and the events there will be at LEAST mentioned a couple times during the game (indeed, even Barney mentions it in the vids).

I kinda wish barney looked more like the old barney... He looks completely different.

He seems to have lost some weight. But, i dunno: he has sort of the same eyes. It's kinda hard to make him look exactly the same without giving him a square head. :)

I gotta tell you I LOVED Mesa, but I also think is time for gordon to move on. The greatest feature in HL2 will not be its ultra-beautiful grafics though, no it will be the AI and the ability to block doors and passages...

Everything that was in the Gameplay Video was very cool...

I do however not doubt that gordon will return to black mesa..

Cheers :cheers:

yeh i think ur right there, he does look completely different. But i would still rather have him than the old barny low poly so who cares right? ;)

Well, I just wish they had kept the sharper features of his face. His face looks almost pudgy now.

Originally posted by Apos
We really can't tell much about the city17 thing and whether it's good until we learn about the story.
Yup, it's all about the story.

Speaking of pudgy, compared to the renders, Alyx ingame has a round fat face, in the renders shes hot. :)

Compared to what renders? All we've ever seen of Alyx, as far as I know, has been in game shots. There are no "renders" in HL2: no cinematics and such.

I think he talks about screenshots. She does look different on wallpaper, than in game.

She's a fine lil dime on the wallpapers. But in game shes like a fat pudgy-faced dumbass.

The wallpapers are just taken from screenshots...

Ok I'm too tired to go find quotes for this, I'm going to bed as soon as this is posted :dozey:

Well it's been said that HL1 has already been recreated using source (possibly done by a 3rd party team) and will no doubt be available post-launch.

And somebody somewhere (the most likely on this forum) recieved an email stating that "there will be some areas in HL2 that will feel VERY familiar"

Well it's known that HL2 won't contain any off-world activities - so that rules out Xen, so what does that leave us? :) ...

</speculation>

-Kornflake™

gabe did say that gordon will not be returning to black mesa..

if you've played through op4 you'd remember it being nuked at the end.

Well, its reassuring that they said that there will be locals in hl2 that will be very familiar... I think I read that somewhere (probably from PCG). Thanks for reminding me though. =O)

Oh ands its also cool that you can go through the hl single player in the HL2 engine. I started playing the orignial half life about 10 minutes ago because I got bored. The graphics are killing me though. =O/

Originally posted by DuncanIdahoTPF
Well, its reassuring that they said that there will be locals in hl2 that will be very familiar... I think I read that somewhere (probably from PCG). Thanks for reminding me though. =O)

Oh ands its also cool that you can go through the hl single player in the HL2 engine. I started playing the orignial half life about 10 minutes ago because I got bored. The graphics are killing me though. =O/
it's not confirmed that you will be able to play through the hl singleplayer in hl2's engine.. gabe did say they tried to make transferring things from hl1 to hl2 as easy as possible.. but that doesn't mean that you will just be able to play through the entire game in a new engine.

i agree with everyone else, i loved the black mesa facility. But at the same time hated it, im the person that likes open spaces. I think being in a city where its not as confined will kickass

Maybe G-man takes him back to BMF once in the game, just like he 'took' gordon to places at the end of halflife 1.

Or maybe Gordon will have flashbacks about the black mesa facility

Originally posted by Eternity
Guinny, what?

There are a concept art pic of alyx and gordon, shes being a wrench... holding a wrench and he holding a crowbar

Back