Bodies in Xen

I believe he thought he won't need it. Plus, we can see Gina moving one of those Xen crystals withouth her helmet, so I suppose the helmet is designed only for exteme situations. Of course, if Gordon knew what was going to happen ... :cheese:

And I do think Gordon had his helmet on while he was to Xen. I don't see how he will breathe the air there (I'm preety sure it wasn't suitable for humans). If you ask "When and where did he get it ?" well, I think it comes with the long jump module ;)

Calhoun was fine as much as i remember tbh.

When it comes to Calhoun, nothing explodes in his face. Instead it falls on his head from above. Else he wouldn't be alive, except he had a law enforcement face shield out of plexiglass, that would explain some stuff.

The idea that the bodies are Fallen Freemans (lol) is pretty interesting, but its not really practical. The bodies are just scientists from BM who went in to collect samples. A scientist mentions that after a while, the scientists in zen started being collected themselves.
As for the helmet thing, Gordon dosent need oxygen in Zen. He's Gordon Freeman damnit.

Sending scientists to their almost certain death into strange, parallel worlds. Created their underground lair with walkways, walls and general infrastructure with cheap materials easier to break than tinfoil and architecturally designed to incorporate seemingly endless voids of space superfluously made but wouldn't fail to triple the cost of excavation and materials. And the questionable maintenance staff working around the clock in a facility this large only to overlook certain major flaws, for example the poor containment of hazardous materials, and failing satisfactory upkeep of certain emergency exits, lifts and doors that are designed to withstand a slight murmur of an earthquake. All in all working under fund, I mean, you can't profit from a scheme this sinister. And for an entire Military action to be taken after the fear of the leak of information about what monstrosity was being cooked up beneath the surface of Mexico. How do they keep a lid on this!? This is interplanetary study and shakey execution of it at best. I can highly doubt that whatever funded the company can openingly discuss all that what happens beneath, in this obvious deathtrap.

How can these people love working there?! People DIE in there. Who gives a **** about your tie, JOHNNY WAS MURDERED LAST SUNDAY BY A CONTROLLER!

Gman and his Employers' plan to destroy the Earth?

being cooked up beneath the surface of Mexico

You mean New Mexico? There is a difference you know.

Sending scientists to their almost certain death into strange parallel worlds.

I beleive they sent in MALPs to estimate the quality of the atmosphere on the other side before they even sent humans.

Gman and his Employers' plan to destroy the Earth?

And yet Gman sends Gordon upon the combine. He's not there to destroy the earth, more than likely to eliminate the combine and liberate the earth. Most of his intentions are still blanketed by the unrevealed storyline.

I beleive they sent in MALPs to estimate the quality of the atmosphere on the other side before they even sent humans.

They still sent humans. Sending live people to retrieve rock samples is redundant seeing that they are capable of programming robots to do just that. (This is basing off the theory that the bodies have been there prior to the Resonance Cascade, for thereafter the bodies may have been caused by members of the science team finding a way into Xen in attempt to find an answer for the invasion.)

And yet Gman sends Gordon upon the combine. He's not there to destroy the earth, more than likely to eliminate the combine and liberate the earth. Most of his intentions are still blanketed by the unrevealed storyline.

So far we know that the Gman is responsible for the cascade in some part - he's the one that brought the crystal sample in the first place in exchange with the more stable, but less purer one. I don't know who his employers are, but I think they have something to do with Black Mesa - the corporation that built and was funding the BM research facility.

They still sent humans. Sending live people to retrieve rock samples is redundant seeing that they are capable of programming robots to do just that. (This is basing off the theory that the bodies have been there prior to the Resonance Cascade

Maybe the first time they sent in a robot they did not have the chance to make contact with the resident plant and wild life or couldn't make an accurate decission based only on video transmission. They probably wanted to investigate further, and as they discovered the air was breathable and gravity was strong enought to let them walk there. And then there comes the problem - almost all fauna and flora was carnivorous. Also note that the MALP could easilly get stuck or if it got teleported to a small rock, there would be no way for it to continue without human assistance.

for thereafter the bodies may have been caused by members of the science team finding a way into Xen in attempt to find an answer for the invasion.

This is also a true desperate reaction. They definetelly knew there is a powerfull being that is holding the rift open, as one of the scientists in the Lambda complex told Gordon.

== There is also something that buggs me - if the MALP was stuck on a floating rock, why didn't they send UAVs? I mean, it does fly after all.

There's a Xen biodome complex, people. Something tells me they've been doing this stuff for a WHILE.

Ok, so the bodies are either dead scientists that have built a research outpost like Black Mesa on Xen, or they are again dead scientists that were sent to hunt down and kill Nihilanth (my god, I really hoped they knew who Nihilanth was and what kind of being he is). The Biodome Complex is built for the sake of studying speciments brought back to Earth and It probably dates back to the time when BM staff first discovered the Borderworld. I think this is the most rational explanation I can think of, untill there are any plot revelations in the future.

No, no and no. They were not sent there to hunt down Nihilanth. What makes you think that? I don't think Nihilanth was known before the resonance cascade, the science team barely know anything about him, and his agenda.

Have I said anything about them knowing who Nihilanth is? No. The scientists have somehow managed to figure out that some powerful being is holding the rift open between Earth's dimension and Xen's dimension. I did not want to say they knew him by name or what he actually is, all I say is they knew whats going on, they sent in reconnaissance teams to find and, eventually kill it if they must. Hell, even Gordon didn't know Nihilanth by name, he knew as much as the other scientists. But Gordon was lucky to reach the Lambda Complex in time, before it was nuked with the rest of the god damn facility. The two scientists managed to explain to him as much as they knew and as there was no one else clalified to go on Xen, they sent him in. Why? Because they have been tracking him from enought time to figure out he's the best hope they'll get. Sadly, those two probably didn't manage to live to see it.

Back