Brass Players

PorkPi

Spy
Reaction score
Hey guys. The music/musicians section isn't the most active, but I thought I'd see if there's any other brass instrumentalists here. If so, I'd like to ask about equipment.

So yeah. I'm a highschool trumpet player thinking about a new instrument. Wondering what'd be good for me to check out. I play lead in jazz band(s) and that's probably what I do most of. I wouldn't just want something geared towards that since I also have to do symphonic stuff.

Aside from just a horn that'd be good for me, I'm also wondering about different attributes of the instrument and why different features would make a horn better for certain things. Just for my own knowledge. Examples being bore size, lacquer, etc. How does it affect sound?

This thread will probably get glanced over by most of ya'll but maybe there's a single brass enthusiast here who'll see it.

Edit: Oh, right now I have a Getzen 700. Perfectly good horn, but it's aging a little. And I'd like to get something a little nicer (except I probably won't cos it'd be expensive as all balls).

Trumpet for 12ish years reporting in.

For jazz, stick with trumpet, maybe check out a flugelhorn if you want a more mellow sound for different songs.

For more classical stuff, and a completely different instrument, check out the baritone/euphonium. Sounds like a cornet mated with a trombone. Also, the fingerings transfer straight over if you grab the treble clef version of whatever music you might be playing.

Anyway, beer is being had, no more time to type.

I have access to flugels when I need em and I've played euphonium a little. But I guess I should've been more clear, by new instrument I meant a new trumpet. I've already had a little practice with different instruments like trombone, euph., and a little tuba, but I started on trumpet and am best at that.

They're damn nice, I've gotten to play on a few of them. Personally, I have a 10 year old King Silver Flair (King 2055T), and I love the shit out of it.

Back