Breaking Bad Discussion [spoilers]

Of course they are. Who would be a closer friend to Walt? And to Hank? (Maybe the Latino he works with, I guess, but I'd say Walt is number two)
I can see where MFL is coming from. Certainly I'd say Jesse is a bigger friend to Walt than Hank. There's also the thing where Hank has to force himself into listening to Walt's problems when Walt came into his office.

That could be just because Hank isn't comfortable with that sort of thing, but he certainly seemed more eager to find an excuse to escape the conversations than he was in actually listening to Walt. Like MFL said, at that point he was more just going through the motions of what a friend should do, not because he wants to, but because thats whats expected. I would say that they consider(ed) each other friends though, because they seemed to get along well most of the time, but they never really "clicked".

Reactions: MFL
I can see where MFL is coming from. Certainly I'd say Jesse is a bigger friend to Walt than Hank. There's also the thing where Hank has to force himself into listening to Walt's problems when Walt came into his office.

That could be just because Hank isn't comfortable with that sort of thing, but he certainly seemed more eager to find an excuse to escape the conversations than he was in actually listening to Walt. Like MFL said, at that point he was more just going through the motions of what a friend should do, not because he wants to, but because thats whats expected. I would say that they consider(ed) each other friends though, because they seemed to get along well most of the time, but they never really "clicked".

That's because Hank has a real "manly" opinion of himself and how a guy should act. This is why he's always put on a show for the other guys, even when he's been suffering panic attacks. This is why he shows uneasiness when listening to Walt while walt is being emotional. This is why he comments sexually to Marie in his garage when he wants her to leave and not show his feelings of being overwhelmed.

Hank is very caught up in how he should act, as a man, to counter any doubts or suspicions from others who might otherwise think he's not as tough as he says he is. This is also kind of evidenced in the talking pillow episode, where he thinks that walt might want to "die like a man".

I think he genuinely cares about walt and the problems he's going through... but gets carried away.

I wonder how this will compare to Dexter.
Dexter spoilers:
Since Dexter just got himself caught by a family member as well. I'm ****in' stoked for this next year or so of TV. Dexter starts up again this month, and should get me through the better part of the wait for the Breaking Bad finale. Sucks that both of these awesome shows are ending at the same time.

That's because Hank has a real "manly" opinion of himself and how a guy should act. This is why he's always put on a show for the other guys, even when he's been suffering panic attacks. This is why he shows uneasiness when listening to Walt while walt is being emotional. This is why he comments sexually to Marie in his garage when he wants her to leave and not show his feelings of being overwhelmed.

Hank is very caught up in how he should act, as a man, to counter any doubts or suspicions from others who might otherwise think he's not as tough as he says he is. This is also kind of evidenced in the talking pillow episode, where he thinks that walt might want to "die like a man".

I think he genuinely cares about walt and the problems he's going through... but gets carried away.
We had a discussion some previous time that this "manly" behaviour is due to him compensating for his infertility. It seems pretty likely that it's not Hank and Marie's own choice to be childless. Both are shown to get along great with children, and the size of their house suggests they had planned to have children when they bought it. Just speculation, but it adds an interesting dimension to Hank's character.

We had a discussion some previous time that this "manly" behaviour is due to him compensating for his infertility. It seems pretty likely that it's not Hank and Marie's own choice to be childless. Both are shown to get along great with children, and the size of their house suggests they had planned to have children when they bought it. Just speculation, but it adds an interesting dimension to Hank's character.

I really like that idea. I also really like that it's implied, but never said.

Yeah, I remember reading that discussion, and I agree with it too.

Back