Breaking Bad Discussion [spoilers]

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
reg_1024.breakingbad2.mh.071612.jpg

To take a full-measure, I've created a spoiler thread to discuss Breaking Bad - the best television program to air on a cable network. Hell, to me it's just my favorite show--end of story.

So let's talk about how those beautiful sepia shots of ABQ and the amazing cooking montages. And how Todd murders a child in cold blood!

Do discuss to your heart's content. Talk about things like Walt killing Mike, Jesse's tear-soaked face as he blasts off Gale's charming befuddled whimpering face, and the great Heisenberg blowing Fring in half. No need for tags in here. Just raw discussion. Exciting times. 2013 will surely be even more hair-raising and feature twice the breakfast scenes with an increasingly displeased Walt Jr.

ONE rule bitches.

Absolutely no script leaks or key information about episodes that haven't aired.

That and you don't have to worry about people who aren't caught up with spoiler tags or ambiguity. I was just waiting for some sass from Vegeta. It also doesn't say Season 5, for the record. SO NOW YOU MAY FREELY DISCUSS THE PAST! Yeah, no, but like I said:

The point is to speak openly about the program, while allowing folks who haven't caught up to discuss on the prior thread.

I'm anxious as hell about Sunday. I'm sitting here just pondering how the hell Walt will clean up after himself. Probably just Call Saul and get some meatheads to do the work. Also wondering how he's going to bullshit Jesse, if that's even necessary.

That entire scene was just beautiful. I loved the "Shut up and let me die in peace, Walter" as he gazes off into the softly flowing stream with his usual nonchalance. Sucks that the mid-season finale is coming so soon. I will genuinely miss Mike being a part of the show. Just like I genuinely miss Fring.

This thread is pointless. There's like, one person who comes to these threads without having watched the show. Frankly, in this section there should only be specific [NON SPOILER] tags on threads, and all others should be assumed to be spoiler threads. That way most people, who are up to date on the show, can talk, while other threads people can create for asking for opinions on a show before watching or whatever. The number of people viewing threads while not current is too small for there to be a spoiler and non spoiler thread for every show. The non spoiler threads will just die after a few posts.

Anyways, do you guys think we'll see another flash forward this episode?

I doubt it, Vince fully intended to air the entire season this year and wrote it that way. AMC wouldn't greenlight without the year break to milk it for DVD/Ray cash, merch, etc. Though I'm sure we'll see the beginning of Walt's so called "Empire." It's really an arbitrary break. Absolutely nothing can stop Heisenberg now. Lydia being able to tie down Fring's shadow and Jesse for snap-think ideas and crash course in chem. Todd is also very, very loyal. The continued contention of Todd/Jesse is going to be fascinating and awkward.

Glad Mike died. Hated that prick. Such an uninteresting and one-dimensional character. Had hoped they would have explored his backstory before he kicked the bucket to give him some depth, but as it stands he's one of the worst written characters in the show.

Glad Mike died. Hated that prick. Such an uninteresting and one-dimensional character. Had hoped they would have explored his backstory before he kicked the bucket to give him some depth, but as it stands he's one of the worst written characters in the show.

Uhh, hello... are you forgetting about the brothers grimm?

Uhh, hello... are you forgetting about the brothers grimm?

I let it slide under the "one of" clause he included, even though I disagree with every bone in my body. Mike is an amazingly written character. The Mexican Death Bros were definitely the most poorly written characters.

That being said: I think Mike is meant to have a clouded, ambiguous past. Don't forget that the show has a way of developing deceased characters. He was the reason, the experience and the wisdom of the operation. He was smug and to me, hilarious.

His spectrum of emotion is intentionally and comically nuanced and jaded, but wonderfully emotive for those who pay close attention.

The scene where he uses the balloons to short the power at the Chinese chemical depot and throws the shoe. His smug badassery won me over right away. Not to mention the car rides with Jesse.

He'd seen it all and the only thing that put a smile on his face was that niece of his. Now that money will probably never make it to her. I mean come on, his lecturing Walt on Half-Measures is a beautifully written monologue. I don't understand how Mike cannot be appreciated.

"You're gonna wanna get your car fixed."

I loved Mike. Dammit.

I also loved Mike and I'm totally not happy he got shot. Haters gonna hate.
Still an epic ending though... "Shut the f*ck up and let me die in peace."

We haven't seen the last of Mike. Not by a long shot. His role and backstory will very likely still expand post-mortem.

Can't see how y'all can stand that smug douchebag.

Anywho, is anyone else annoyed that they actually censor the word 'fuck' on this show? I mean, they can show a child getting murdered, but they have to blur a note spelling out the most common word in the English language...

'mericuh. That's actually just the law.

Gotta love the FCC. It's disgusting. Violence galore, implied rape, child murder but GOD forbid 'curse' words or breasts be exposed to adults!

'mericuh. That's actually just the law.

Gotta love the FCC. It's disgusting. Violence galore, implied rape, child murder but GOD forbid 'curse' words or breasts be exposed to adults!
They did show a pair of tits once though. I think it was in the pilot, when Hank raided some meth lab and Jesse escaped. The girl he was fucking helped him through the window, and you could see her tits.

Yeah there's a limited amount of time you can show breasts but only after a certain hour and only on movie-style channels.

Once again blown away... they really head ****ed us here. Is the cancer back? Walt outed to Hank, pretty much. I'm so invested in the characters at this point it's ridiculous. The prison massacre montage was just ****ing fantastic.

The shot with Walt Fipping from talking with hank to the cooking suit.

Walter lying about being out of the business, Jesse's status totally ambiguous. Definitely going to have to watch this episode 3/4 more times.

Skyler no longer laundering, so that op is over. Basically they shattered everything. Why must we wait another year. whyyyy. **** AMC.

Wow.

I just sat in my chair making giggly, high pitches "hoh hoh hoh" sounds for a couple minutes.

Ehrmehgeeerrdddd!

Dat ending.

Although it seems unfair to have to wait so long for the last 8 episodes, it'll make it so much more rewarding when it comes. Worth it.

Holy shit this is the end. Oh jesus god.

Also, 2 amazing montages. That shanking one was easily the most horrifying thing of the series.

Once again blown away... they really head ****ed us here. Is the cancer back? Walt outed to Hank, pretty much. I'm so invested in the characters at this point it's ridiculous. The prison massacre montage was just ****ing fantastic.

The shot with Walt Fipping from talking with hank to the cooking suit.

Walter lying about being out of the business, Jesse's status totally ambiguous. Definitely going to have to watch this episode 3/4 more times.

Skyler no longer laundering, so that op is over. Basically they shattered everything. Why must we wait another year. whyyyy. **** AMC.

Wow.
What makes you think Walt was lying about being out of the business?

Great episode, Hank is gonna be in a bit of a dilemma.

Why is there a new thread? I liked the old one. :(

-

WOW. After a shaky start to this season, Breaking Bad has reached the point (maybe even beyond) of being 'back.' This episode was so good.

As Vegeta said, prison montage was easily the most horrifying scene in Breaking Bad ever. Dennis going up in flames like that. Jesus.

The montage time-lapse worked really quite well, but Holly seems to have grown extraordinarily for 3 months time... hmm.

3 months seems quite significant in the world of BB. "3 million dollars, for 3 months of your time." Interestingly enough.

That pile of money, dayum. Skyler and Walter are actually finally happy it seems, I like. This is the first time since about the end of season 2 that Skyler is a likable character again IMO.

Holy shit the tension and awkwardness between Walt and Jesse, I was convinced Walt was going to kill him then, 'tying up loose ends', 'had to be done'... I realise now that that's illogical, in that Vince would never write that poorly, but it makes the heart beat fast never-the-less.

So Hank knows, that was nice little clue-in, bringing Gale and the whole Walt Whitman : Walter White : W.W. thing back again. Hank's face too.

The story about "marking trees"? Someone tell me what that meant to you?

Oh, and the absolute best part: Walt seeing the paper towel dispenser all smashed up from when he got the good news last time. Pretty much, he is out of remission.

Next year is going to be a riot. I cannot wait.

Aye, I was also worried that Walt would kill Jesse, my heart rate was through the roof.

Am I the only one thinking it was unnecessary of Walt to kill all those prison inmates? I mean, did they were meet him or knew who he was? Seems like the only person they could bring down was Mike, and he's dead now.

Guys, if you've watched the episode, watch this.
It makes it more apparent about Walt quitting the business and certain aspects of the last ep. Straight from the mouth of Vince Gilligan and the cast themselves:

Am I the only one thinking it was unnecessary of Walt to kill all those prison inmates? I mean, did they were meet him or knew who he was? Seems like the only person they could bring down was Mike, and he's dead now.
Mike's death was exactly why he needed to kill them. He was paying them off to keep quiet. Mike's death signified the end of his 9 guys and his lawyer having any reason not to spill everything they knew about Fring's meth empire in exchange for reduced sentencing, charge dropping or whatever else they could get out of it. There was even a whole scene dedicated to one of Mike's men saying he would talk if he got a good deal out of it.

That information would then very likely give the DEA leads that eventually went back to Walt. Then Walt would be screwed. So he took the action he thought would be the only one to stop that from happening which was to have all 10 people who might talk silenced forever. He was even going to kill Lydia (as evidenced by the Ricin capsule making another appearance) so that then there would only really be Walt, Jesse and Todd who were in the know, all of whom would be screwed themselves if they ever said anything and are unlikely to want to draw any attention to what they've done as they've never been caught.

Vince would never right that poorly

Hehehe.

Also... does anybody else think that the beginning with Walt looking at the fly, and later with all the tons of houses being tented... that he decided to infest neighborhoods somehow to increase the number of houses per week he could cook at?

Mike's death was exactly why he needed to kill them. He was paying them off to keep quiet. Mike's death signified the end of his 9 guys and his lawyer having any reason not to spill everything they knew about Fring's meth empire in exchange for reduced sentencing, charge dropping or whatever else they could get out of it. There was even a whole scene dedicated to one of Mike's men saying he would talk if he got a good deal out of it.

That information would then very likely give the DEA leads that eventually went back to Walt. Then Walt would be screwed. So he took the action he thought would be the only one to stop that from happening which was to have all 10 people who might talk silenced forever. He was even going to kill Lydia (as evidenced by the Ricin capsule making another appearance) so that then there would only really be Walt, Jesse and Todd who were in the know, all of whom would be screwed themselves if they ever said anything and are unlikely to want to draw any attention to what they've done as they've never been caught.
I know all that, I just thought that the different parts of Gus' operation were so separated that they had no information about eachother, and thus they couldn't have told the Feds the details of the manufacturing process or who ran it.
Hehehe.

Also... does anybody else think that the beginning with Walt looking at the fly, and later with all the tons of houses being tented... that he decided to infest neighborhoods somehow to increase the number of houses per week he could cook at?
My theory is that the role of the fly in this episode is to serve as a reminder to the role the fly played in the season 3 episode "Fly".

There, a seemingly insignificant thing, a fly, threatened the whole manufacturing operation (in Walt's mind).

In this episode a seemingly insignificant thing, a Walt Whitman book, threatens Walt's whole criminal career.

I know all that, I just thought that the different parts of Gus' operation were so separated that they had no information about eachother, and thus they couldn't have told the Feds the details of the manufacturing process or who ran it.
I suppose they would have been fairly segregated but any information they had could potentially be tied back to Walt. I mean, he's the infamous Heisenberg. The cook of the purest product Fring and his staff had ever had made and distributed. Given how close to Walt Mike was in the whole operation, it makes sense to me that they would have at least been aware of Heisenberg and his "Blue Sky."

It goes back to the Half Measure / Full Measure thing. Walt took a Full Measure to eliminate any potential chance of having the DEA trailing their way back to him. Mike begun to take Half Measures (ironic given that he gave Walt the speech about the 'Measures') and look what happened to him. He paid the price for giving Walt too much slack. Walt is far too intelligent and tactically aggressive to let any small chance of having loose-cannons that could give info linking back to him exist.

Thus, it was murder time.

I dont know how we're going to get to the Flash Forward. Clearly Hank doesnt just arrest arrest Walt right then and there. He must try to build a case on Walt, and then Walt catches wind? I mean, you'd think Hank would bring the entire DEA down on Walt, have him watched at all times, etc.

I dont know how we're going to get to the Flash Forward. Clearly Hank doesnt just arrest arrest Walt right then and there. He must try to build a case on Walt, and then Walt catches wind? I mean, you'd think Hank would bring the entire DEA down on Walt, have him watched at all times, etc.

Well, it's obvious that he's going to be super conflicted. His brother(and maybe his sister in law, he doesn't know that yet) is a criminal. Heisenberg is the guy that he has dreamt of capturing for so long, but now that it is Walt... he's going to be super conflicted.

I imagine he's going to test the waters with walt... push him a little bit, see what kind of information he can glean. Maybe do a little bit of snooping around. His love and respect of his brother in law is going to be tested, and ultimately wear down. It's not going to be a case of "I found Heisenberg, let's throw him in jail! Yeah!". It's going to be a drawn out process of mental pain and anguish and revelation.

There're a number of issues that arise if Hank was to go after Walt. Not only would he lose one of his best friends and his wife's sister, the kids would also lose their parents. Hank would probably also lose his job, especially when it's discovered that his rehabilitation treatment after the gunshot was financed with drug money.

I think Walt could worm his way out of it by claiming he has stopped cooking, and that all the murders (Tuco, Gale, Gus and the prison inmates (am I forgetting someone?)) were committed by someone else (like Mike). He could say he wanted to leave the business very early, but was forced by Gus to remain, and kept cooking out of fear for his and his family's lives. That could possible convince Hank not to pursue the lead.

Hank would probably also lose his job, especially when it's discovered that his rehabilitation treatment after the gunshot was financed with drug money.
What. Why on earth would he be punished for accepting money from his brother in law, when he had no idea it was drug money, and also if he was the one who found out that it was drug money to begin with?

What makes you think Walt was lying about being out of the business?

Simply because we didn't see him actually sever any ties. We didn't see him dispose of Todd, we didn't see him tell Lydia it's over. He also told Jesse he wasn't selling out, and even if he did spend that three months cooking 100 pounds a week, he certainly still has some more methlamine. He's not out of the business.

(As an aside, Jesse having dinner with Walt and Skylar was one of the most hilariously awkward things I've ever seen ever.)

What. Why on earth would he be punished for accepting money from his brother in law, when he had no idea it was drug money, and also if he was the one who found out that it was drug money to begin with?

Because it's not a matter of what's true, it's a matter of public opinion. Hank's boss lost his job for not noticing Fring. What do you honestly think would happen to Hank even if he did bring Walter in? After this long, this many deaths? Catching Heisenberg is one thing, but realizing you've been that close to him all along? People would question Hank's judgment, because in the eyes of the public, police officers should be better than that. They expect them to be super human.

Hank and Walt are most certainly not friends.
Of course they are. Who would be a closer friend to Walt? And to Hank? (Maybe the Latino he works with, I guess, but I'd say Walt is number two)

The closest thing Walt has to a friend in the series is Jesse.

If their wives weren't sisters, Walt and Hank would not ever associate with each other under normal circumstances.

The undertone to their whole dynamic in the show has been that they don't really want to talk to each other, but they have to make nice because of their wives.

I'm not sure it's that they don't want to talk to each other, or that they don't like each other, so much as it is that they don't have much in common.

Though to some level, I also think that Hank sees Walt as what he's afraid of his life becoming. He and Marie never had kids, but I bet if they did he would have had to take it easier, go for a desk job, and I think he'd feel weak and ineffectual as he perceives Walt to be.

Back