Brink Previews

There is a lot there to read.. Whats the general thought? People enjoying it or seeing some issues with gameplay etc?

Yeah everyone seems to be loving it TBH, it was also named best shooter of the PAX event.

1108NeedAmmo.jpg

I am looking forward to this game so hard.

The texture on that gun looks really low res, hope they fix it up a dat to match the res of characters/env.

another generic overhyped shooter from bethesda

You mean from Splash Damage ;)

I'm looking forward to Brink because it looks the opposite - in a world of CoD and CoD clones something class and objective based makes for a very welcome change. My only gripe is the use of iron sights. Arcade shooters shouldn't have iron sights! Something else we can thank CoD for. **** you CoD.

splash damage is under bethesda's management, so yes, it's a bethesda game.

Splash Damage are independently owned and are not under Bethesda management. Other than that you are completely correct.

" ...in a world of CoD and CoD clones something class and objective based makes for a very welcome change .."

I heard this with the Announcer's voice in mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kqqMXWEFs

looking forward to brink but will wait till after release to get it

Splash Damage are independently owned and are not under Bethesda management. Other than that you are completely correct.

just like headfirst, right? bethesda has the rights to make any change on the game.

just like headfirst, right? bethesda has the rights to make any change on the game.

We'll see. If it's Mirror's Edge with GOOD shooting, I'll be all over it. I personally like Bethesda's games.

Being an old ET man I thought you'd be all over this? Or still bitter over Quake Wars?!

not bitter. crushed more like it. I really wanted that game to succeed/live up to my expectations. I dont want to be disappointed again. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised :)

I'm looking forward to it very much, not sure what platform to get it for though.

Sure, PC will have superior controls, but also people using hacks/aimbots etc.

Consoles have shoddier controls, but don't have the same problem with regards to cheating, exception being people exploiting glitches etc.

I have a feeling the SMART system will be a lot more fun to use on consoles. Gamepads are so much better for platforming it's not even funny and/or up for debate.

That's true, Stig.

Analog sticks certainly give you far better control of movement than keyboards do.

I remember in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory where one had to use the mouse-wheel to control speed of movement.:LOL:

Seems like they used to always botch the gamepad setup on PC games, but so far, my experience with Games for Windows/Xbox 360 gamepad has been perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGrvSWuMRM
(old video)

Seems you just hold down the smart button while looking at the obstacle and moving and it does it automatically - so a gamepad won't offer any benefit. I will be sticking with the precision of my mouse. For looking and aiming, it's just perfect.

Gamepad will offer the benefit of more precise movement with a analog stick, you can't deny that, I don't play any FPSes where all I ever do is run straight at where I'm looking.

It's a shame there isn't a decent analogue peripheral to use on the PC, or fps that would use it. It'd be great to have precise mouse aiming with improved movement.

Gamepad will offer the benefit of more precise movement with a analog stick, you can't deny that, I don't play any FPSes where all I ever do is run straight at where I'm looking.
So don't run. :p

Honestly, the only game where I've ever felt at a disadvantage was Oblivion. Mostly because - end game - your character was blazing fast - yet the default walk speed was so slow that it was useless for combat (this was part of the gameplay that penalized your fatigue for running. This worked well on consoles, I'd imagine). That's a fault of the game. The walk speed was too slow, and the run speed could be made too fast (way faster than horses).

I started to master holding run to sort of jump in and out of attack range while fighting, but it was a bit of a finger twister.

This game looks very fast, so I guess it could be a problem if the walk (or jog) speed is too slow.

It's a shame there isn't a decent analogue peripheral to use on the PC, or fps that would use it. It'd be great to have precise mouse aiming with improved movement.
Indeed. We've been discussing this since I joined, Warbie. I have an idea of how to make something, but I just haven't yet.

Get to it! Anything that involves sneaking around and/or footsteps giving away your position would benefit.

Basically, you will use the right hand for the mouse, and the left hand for an analog stick and lots of buttons.I usually start to get somewhere in my head with it and find a roadblock.

I had thought about merging together a USB Numpad (for the jump/flashlight/cast - those type of buttons) and the analog stick from a game controller, but well, this is an investment that involves destroying things, and perhaps meeting failure as well because of the problem of being melded to PCBs (circuit boards).

I may have a breakthrough one day, but for now the perfect idea eludes me.

Would have preferred to see a mission in a new environment.

Same. Although I think they're keeping them under wraps for a big reveal?!!?! Maybe.

<broken record>

Nobody else bothered by the iron sights then? Charging into combat, adrenaline rushing, explosions everywhere, and .... slow right down and spam bullets like a paintball gun. It's not the sights themselves that bug me, just how much they slow down combat. Compared to rtcw/et the fighting in that preview looks very slooooowwww .... zzzzz.

TF3 - now with iron sights!

</broken record>

Still excited tho :p

What bugged me the most in the trailer was really the whole "golden glowing guns" when buffed.

Just feels like such a cheap and uninspired way to inform the player of his guns status.

Ironsights reduce lolspray and are fun, Warbie. Having to slow down or stop to accurately shoot someone is a good idea and paces things--not to mention it looks less retarded.

I think the one thing iron sights are missing, as a gameplay function, is an accuracy decrease while transitioning into and out of ironsights. Otherwise, what BHC said is true.

Or just don't let you shoot at all while transitioning. ****ing no-scopers.

I think the popularity of iron sights can be attributed to one thing: they work extremely well for controllers. It lets you keep high sensitivity for movement/turning and yet have more precision when actually aiming. The problem is the sights themselves are often very obtrusive, which kind of nullifies their benefit. Same thing could be done with a simple zooming/tightening of the crosshairs while the gun remains static, but I guess that just looks dated or something. WHO KNOWS. In any case this game is pretty big on having TONS OF REAL WORLD CUSTOMIZABLE WEAPONS CHECK IT OUT so I mean, iron sights are kind of obligatory as deemed by the conventions of modern shooters.

Ironsights reduce lolspray

Reduce lolspray? That's something we'll never agree on. If CoD or BC2 are anything to go by, the opposite is true.

Iron sights introduce a degree of randomness and slow encounters down to a crawl, encouraging camping as a result. By taking away precision and speed you reduce the skill required in aiming and movement (before CoD, movement was a skill required in fps ;)) and lessen your options. Imagine playing a Scout in TF2 with iron sights. All the skill required to play what is arguably the most demanding class in clan matches would be washed away. This is what iron sights do to differing degrees to every arcady fps that employs them!

I think the popularity of iron sights can be attributed to one thing: they work extremely well for controllers.

Agreed.

It's a shame there isn't a decent analogue peripheral to use on the PC, or fps that would use it.

I know I already commented on this, but I realized I didn't address the issue of the game compatibility itself.

I know that Oblivion allows keyboard/mouse/gamepad to be enabled simultaneously (which would allow this to work), so I expect that Fallout 3 + would also allow it. As for other FPS, well, I have no idea.

I suppose the ideal controller would be something like mouse + nunchuk - but ideally, the nunchuk should have more buttons on the bottom. Don't forget you can use a mouse wheel to change weapons, so you don't need lots of buttons (EDIT: unfortunately, you can't change spells with the mousewheel in Oblivion, meaning, you need lots of buttons). In addition, gaming mice often have extra mouse buttons that can be assigned.

Note that the Wii controller is able to be used on a PC with a bluetooth adapter (and setup software) - something to consider.

I'm so god damn sick of iron sights. They don't belong in anything except realistic shooting games, like ARMA II or Red Orchestra. For fast paced games, I hate them.

Also, the animation of the gun when running is awful. So floaty and nobody in the world would be able to move their arms like that while sprinting.

Iron sights introduce a degree of randomness and slow encounters down to a crawl, encouraging camping as a result.
Agree with everything but this. There has always and will always be campers, regardless of control input. ;)

I really don't mind iron sights if the shoe fits, but yeah there are certainly games that are just riding the wave now that could do without them. Actually, I wouldn't have minded at all if Brink were in third person instead.

There may always be campers, but in something like TF, or Wolf, or anything relatively speedy and twitch aimy, they get minced like the cowering dogs they are. It only becomes a valid tactic when ppl are stopping to aim all the time.

I'd like a decent 3rd person team game too. Not a fan of the socoms of this world but something arcady and class based would be nice. Maybe with some Oni style fisticuffs.

Back