Brink Previews

Agreed. I have a 5850 clocked higher than a 5870 and am getting terrible performance with everything at low. It isn't an ATI friendly game at the moment.

I decided to update to the 11.5a hotfix drivers and now the game is unplayable on my HD4870. Getting huge stuttering and freezes :/

I decided to update to the 11.5a hotfix drivers and now the game is unplayable on my HD4870. Getting huge stuttering and freezes :/

I've heard some people say that 11.2 makes the game playable. Haven't tried it myself.

I think that's more placebo than anything. Much depends on the map, the server, and how many people are playing etc. I haven't noticed much difference between 11.2, 115.a rc1 & 2.

For all these negatives it's worth mentioning what Brink does well, which is objective and teambased play. It does this much better than BC2 and CoD. It also plays and feels unlike anything else - a bit of rtcw, cod, some mirror's edge (the pakour elements are really growing on me) and some bits all of its own. It's nothing like TF2 :p I just had a few hours of crash and lag free play on a 6 vs 6 clan server and it was excellent - the most fun i've had in a fps for quite a while. If drivers/patches can fix the technical side of things Brink will be a cracking game.

Glad I went for a nVidia GPU after hearing about all the trouble people with ATI cards seem to have.:p

Downgraded from 11.5a to 11.2 and the game is now smooth as butter.

A few patches later and Brink is a different beast. I'm now getting between 40-80 fps rather than 20-40 which obviously makes quite a difference to gameplay. There are still things that need looking at, but already it's shaping up to be my favourite current online shooter. Teamplay wise nothing else gets close.

I've also seen some pretty big performance improvements on my Nvidia card. My average FPS has risen from 55 to 80 since release day. I'm glad to see you sticking with this game, Warbie :D

Yeah my FPS has improved considerably as well.

My only beef now is there are way too few good servers, and on the good servers there are way too few good players.:p

Stigman, we need to play more!

ya the amount of servers is almost half of what it was at launch and most of those are empty. the game is fun but the setting and gameplay just doesnt have the mass appeal of a game like CoD or BF

I've yet to try out the new patch to see if my fps improved and I don't know as to when I'll be able to play but my Steam is noescsape and my Xfire is 3sc4p3 if anyone would fancy a game sometime in the future.

What annoys me is trying to connect to servers. There are very few I can connect to, and when I do I don't even think anyone human is playing, despite it saying so. Is there a sure way to tell?

What annoys me is trying to connect to servers. There are very few I can connect to, and when I do I don't even think anyone human is playing, despite it saying so. Is there a sure way to tell?

When you look at the scoreboard, if they have a green ping bar then it means they are human players. I think there's a way to exclude bots from the custom match options in the Brink menu. We have a UK server up and running called BrinkAddict.com - UK Server. your more than welcome to come have a game with us, its full most nights.
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.236.101.3:27515/

Those new abilities sound pretty serious-

UAV – This stealthy and lethal device allows Operatives to automatically mark nearby enemies on their radar. For more explosive fun, they can even take direct control of the UAV and detonate it near unsuspecting foes.
Napalm Grenade – Soldiers can use this new grenade to cover an area in a sea of deadly flames.
Pyro Mine – Engineers can plant these mines and leave enemies in the epicenter of a massive napalm explosion.
Field Regen Unit – Medics can deploy these units to increase the health regeneration of any nearby teammates.
Tactical Scanner – This universal ability allows players to reveal the active buffs of their opponents, allowing them to pick off enemies more strategically.

I wonder how much impact on gameplay these new additions will have. I only wish that they would rebalance the weapons. Right now, they all feel pretty much the same to me.

I still can't get over ~30 fps and often below during firefights on a q6600 4gbddr / radeon 5850(rev2 toxic)

...so, until they get their shit together I don't think I'll reinstall

I still can't get over ~30 fps and often below during firefights on a q6600 4gbddr / radeon 5850(rev2 toxic)

...so, until they get their shit together I don't think I'll reinstall

Blame ATI, not Splash Damage. ATI never had a good track record when it comes to their drivers. It's why i stopped purchasing their cards several years go. They'll never get their shit together at this pace.

It's up to them to optimize it though. If the majority of games run well on my ATI card.. but Brink doesn't.. is that ATI's fault or SD's?

The outlier here is OpenGL. Id Tech is all written using OGL, and it seems like ATI has neglected support of the platform for years.

Free weekend on Steam. It is in your uninstalled games list. If not, restart Steam. Downloading the game now.

I'll probably be playing tonight if anyone else is.

I'll probably be playing tonight if anyone else is.

I would have joined you, but I don't like the feel of the game at all. It is so sluggish, like playing in molasses. I would have expected a game so centered around movement to at least feel right in that department. Not uninstalling just yet, but I doubt if this is a game for me.

I'm downloading this out of curiosity. I passed it up a long time ago, but might as well give it a try now.

Yeeeaah, I downloaded it and played for 10 minutes. It's not a game for me.

Unfortunately I didnt really like it either. Played for about 2 hours then said forget it.

Back