Brink Previews

wow that guy has like 20 apps open and still running the game smoothly while streaming

Lifted from the BrinkAddict forums:

JammyDodger said:
Here's the 1st wave of Brink reviews that have emerged, apart from some negative reviewers who judged the game on their single player experience, the majority of the reviews are giving a big thumbs up overall.

--- Eurogamer - 8/10
"...an exceptional team shooter, smart, supremely well balanced and with a unique, exciting art style"
--- Official Xbox Magazine UK (June issue) - 4 Stars
"A meticulously designed Live shooter"
--- Front Towards Gamer - 9.0 ("Amazing")
"...a brilliant departure from the run of the mill shooters out there."
--- Xbox 360 Achievements - 8/10 ("Great")
"...it hits the ground running and then beats you in the face with awesomeness every step of the way."
--- The Sixth Axis - 9/10
"Brink has massive potential."
--- MSN - 8/10
"...there's a lot to love about Brink."
--- IncGamers - 8.8
"A refreshing and detailed experience that rewards intelligence and team work."
--- Videogamer.com - 8/10
"Splash Damage achieves the impossible: a game that feels fresh in the stalest of genres."
--- Gamona - 87 - (Gold Award, Design Award, Multiplayer Award)
"If you even have the faintest interest in team-based shooters, you can't get past this one"
--- The Guardian - 4 stars
"Brink deserves to be ranked among the finest co-op games available."
--- spieletipps - 88
"This is what the genre needs."
--- Gamers Global - 9.0
"The surprisingly smart AI is probably the best in the shooter genre."
--- The Gamers Paradise - 10/10
"An immensely fun and fast-paced action FPS"
--- NowGamer - 8.3
"unique, compelling and intelligently designed"
--- Computer & Video Games - 8/10
"...you'll become hopelessly addicted to its brand of co-operative, class-based multiplayer action."
--- GamersNet - 8.9
"a wonderful shooter that makes cooperation fun"
Stay tuned for more reviews are they come, please post any reviews you find here.

yea i'm glad to hear some people do still enjoy it but i'll wait until i've finished LA Noire after my exams and then see what the consensus is like

25% rating from 1UP, 40% from Joystiq, 60% from IGN. I'm gonna check it out anyway but the review scores are all over the board on this one.

Well... I guess this will be a game I won't buy until it drops to cheap.

ffs letters have you spent even a single minute playing Brink? it's not TF2 it's rtcw: ET.

It's ****ing team-based shooter aka THE SAME MOTHER****ING GENRE... why the **** would I bother one second with this heap?

It's funny, because I think the comparison is pretty far-fetched even using the far more glaring and obvious similarities, which you're completely ignoring for some reason. "COMPANY OF HEROES AND STARCRAFT ARE BOTH REALTIME STRATEGY GAMES SO THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY ****ING INDISTINGUISHABLE."

It's ****ing team-based shooter aka THE SAME MOTHER****ING GENRE... why the **** would I bother one second with this heap?

Why bother with Half Life when there is Call of Duty? I mean they are both shooters and in pretty much the same genre so why not choose Call of Duty that at least has a multiplayer?*
*No I don't think CoD is on par with Half Life or even comparable.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this game. Some swear it is terrible and some swear it is a hell of a lot of fun that really stresses teamwork. In the end it probably boils down a lot to what type of player you are, clans and teams will probably love it because it stresses teamwork but the CoD fans won't because it doesn't seem like you can run and gun and top the scoreboard.

Seems like COD. Also I like how it's another game on the consoles but still has minimum specs on the PC as being much higher.

It's funny, because I think the comparison is pretty far-fetched even using the far more glaring and obvious similarities, which you're completely ignoring for some reason. "COMPANY OF HEROES AND STARCRAFT ARE BOTH REALTIME STRATEGY GAMES SO THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY ****ING INDISTINGUISHABLE."

If you dont like one you wont like the other, unit building or no. If you like SOME of one genre, its invalid. But Ive seen people ignore entire genres and hate every single game I tell them to try of that genre, no matter how different. I for one dont touch any MMO

TF2 was a cluster**** for the first two weeks of its release, and that turned out pretty alright.

TF2 was a cluster**** at first, but I clearly remember having a lot of fun with it even on day 1, in spite of all of the stupidly overpowered Demoman grenade launchers, worthless Pyros, friendly fire that was never supposed to be enabled, and actually playing Hydro. I have no desire to go anywhere near Brink right now.

Metacritic user scores are the worst things on the planet only short of Youtube comments. Here's the jist of any of them from any game gracefully translated into actual words:

10: This game is best game. As soon as I played it, I knew it was best because of the explosions.

5: Explosions in this game are great. Not the best though. Crashed on my six year old computer.

0: This game is WORST. Never got it to work on my 10 year old computer.

Probably 10% of the scores are actual reviews with legitimate scores. I don't even bother looking at them anymore. Reviewer scores are usually pretty accurate though. However, the PC version has like two reviewers on it right now. I guess we'll have to wait.

I just played two rounds as a Light Medic with a scoped longrifle and a machine pistol, and... I think this might be the best game of the year. It may not be perfect, but it's exactly what the FPS genre has needed since Enemy Territory fell off the radar. I can't get over how smooth the parkour is. Pay no attention to people who say otherwise - the maps are absolutely designed to take advantage of this movement model, and open up a wide variety of tactical and acrobatic options in nearly every encounter. The playerbase's sense of strategy is starting to normalise, and the general style of play that I've seen is beginning to be very tight and territorial. Rounds are less chaotic and far more intense. All it needs is a patch or two to smooth out technical and UI issues, and I have a feeling a lot of you will come back around to it.

Woah woah woah... are you saying COH ISN'T a sequal to Starcraft? WTF. Next you'll tell me Starcraft 2 isn't even a sequal to Rise of Nations!

Also, you're acting like people can't dislike a genre. I'm essentially in the same boat as Letters, I don't generally like team based MP shooters. Its a very expansive genre, but it has core elements that don't appeal to me. I've come to realize that I just don't like these games in general anymore. COD, Brink, TF2 (even vanilla), Battlefield, or anything even remotely similar, I probably wont enjoy at least, not for long. The only game in this genre that I think might be an exception is the new Red Orchestra, which is because it changes those core elements to an extreme.

The only difference between me and Letters is that I didn't presume that everyone else shared my dislike of the genre.

So I've played about 6 hours of this and I've enjoyed it so far, it reminds me of how bad I want a mirror's edge sequel. My biggest complaint is the lack of maps and whats there isn't really all that varied, all of them are either rusty or futuristic. They kind of painted themselves into a corner with putting in story elements based around one location, so chances are we won't be seeing dlc featured in any other locations than the arc.

I've got this preordered and hopefully any problems will be fixed by the time I've finished my exams.

So I've played about 6 hours of this and I've enjoyed it so far, it reminds me of how bad I want a mirror's edge sequel. My biggest complaint is the lack of maps and whats there isn't really all that varied, all of them are either rusty or futuristic. They kind of painted themselves into a corner with putting in story elements based around one location, so chances are we won't be seeing dlc featured in any other locations than the arc.

ya I was hoping for more open outdoor areas with vegetation but I guess that's the point of the setting; there is no vegetation.

the game is pretty fun although so far I've only played solo (challenges to unlock stuff). there's afew annoying bugs and the sound seems be mixed badly (guns way too loud) but other than that it's fun so long as you stick with it as it's pretty complex

The only difference between me and Letters is that I didn't presume that everyone else shared my dislike of the genre.

Which is a huge difference and why I have a problem with him and not you. Plus, he is not acknowledging any subjective aspect of it all. If he said he despised team based shooters and assumed he would hate Brink based on that, that would be totally reasonable. But he clearly is basing his opinion on some perceived objective shittiness inherent to TF2 and Brink based on this similarity. And that's not considering the fact that genre hate may have nothing to do with this at all. If he cited more games than just TF2, I could probably overlook that, but no: He's not claiming it's bad because it's a team based shooter, he's claiming it's bad because it's a team based shooter and that's what TF2 is. It's like TF2. Egad. Which is fine, if you provide more reasoning than such a broad genre linking them.

Yes, the singleplayer AI is horrendous. Mainly the friendly AI. I didn't make it past the 2nd mission of the Security campaign because of the useless AI. Splash Damage should have scrapped it altogether and focused on the multiplayer.

The multiplayer is great though. Very team oriented and rewarding. My kind of game. Like most games it's a bit buggy at the moment but it's nothing major though. Things like missing sounds in certain maps and alt tab crashes. Things like this can be fixed with a patch or two. It's a cross between Mirror's Edge and Enemy Territory. The gun play is faster than ET though and it's very close combat oriented. There are no Sniper Rifles, after all. So, if you are a big fan of sniping, this game may not be for you. The game definitely isn't aimed at the COD crowd even though i see at least one of these knuckleheads every time i join a game. Lonewolf's that charge straight ahead into battle and do nothing but sponge up bullets. Then they go on the Steam forums and trash the game because of their inability to comprehend the game's mechanics. The less these kind of people play this game, the better.

ya I was hoping for more open outdoor areas with vegetation but I guess that's the point of the setting; there is no vegetation.
Yea I guess so, but hopefully when they release dlc it won't all be in the same setting. I haven't watched most of the cutscenes but I do remember one mentioning that some of the resistance made it out of the ark...so maybe thats a hint of things to come. Anyway this game is tons of fun as a light body type and its great that body types aren't tied to specific classes like in tf2. Medic ninjas are great. It sucks though that so many people will get the wrong impression about this game based on the shitty code the console reviewers got.

Played it for only about 40 mins so far but I really hope they better the performance, feels like I am getting 20 fps on low settings. My laptop isn't the greatest but it should be able to handle the game on low (i5 2.4ghz, 4GB DDR3, Mobility 5650.) I installed the ATI hotfix before I played the game.

So is this worth $30?
I am always looking for something strongly team-based, but the reviews on this are everywhere, so I am uncertain.

It's hard to say. There's elements I like - the few things left over from rtcw - and those I don't - namely the CoD influence. Brink's a hybrid of the two. My main problem is performance. My PC can handle BC2 maxed and rarely drop below 60 fps. In Brink i'm lucky to maintain 30 fps in a firefight and things aren't far from unplayable at times. This is with everything turned down low.

Those experiencing performance issues are mainly ATI users. I have a GTX 470 and have no framerate problems whatsoever. What COD influences are you referring to?
The fast movement and the unlockables? Those things existed long before COD started incorporating them. The worst thing about COD are the Killstreaks, nade spamming and the horrible spawn system. This game suffers from neither one of those.

I have a GTX 460 and I run it maxed at 45+fps.

I don't know if this game directly compares to COD in particular. I'd say it's more like Mirror's Edge had a baby with Rainbow Six Vegas, only to divorce and marry TF2, who raised it to be a class-based objective game.

I know my laptop isn't the greatest (i5 540m 2.4ghz, 4GB DDR3, Mobility Radeon 5650) but shouldn't I at least be getting better than 15 fps? I've turned everything to the absolute lowest they can go, disabled shadows, set the threadedrenderer to 2, disabled motion blur, disabled hbao, disabled triple buffering, yet nothing seems to help. I really hope they sort this out.

Does anyone know if they will be patching and/or adding content?

Does anyone know if they will be patching and/or adding content?

Nope, nothing. There was a video of the CEO going to bahamas with a bag of money screaming "**** U WHAALEEEEE"

Picked this up for PC yesterday, sadly won't run at all on my GPU, so I'll have to wait until next week to play it.

Having more fun after new ATI driver/hotfix. Doing tutorial shit and unlocks and dedicated servers makes a huge difference.

ZT and I think we should do a HL2.net night of this. Who's in?

ZT and I think we should do a HL2.net night of this. Who's in?

I hope you'll be willing to do another the week after the coming one, then I'll definitely be in.

Assuming my ping isn't too shit with you guys.:p

What COD influences are you referring to?

Mostly ironsights. I know firing from the hip up close is effective with certain weapons, but ironsights have slowed the game right down. Gone is the speedy, fluid in your face gameplay of rtcw and in its place is something rather cagey and standoffy at the bottlenecks.

There's your answer.

I can play BC2 and TF2 on medium-high settings with a solid framerate so there is no reason I can't play this game with everything at the absolute lowest settings the game can go at and not manage 20 fps even standing in spawn. There are people with better graphics cards than what I have who are still getting the same terrible performance, people with 5850's and even the higher end 69xx series are only managing 20-30 fps, so something is clearly wrong with how Brink handles ATI cards.

Back