Bulgarian 'assassination attempt'

A longer sword will give you range but in real close proximity the shorter blade will give you maneuverability.

This. There's a reason for the Roman Gladius being so short and heavy versus the Scottish Claymore which was for open battlefields and often used from horseback. Katanas were for mounted warriors to slice up peasants, Wakizashi was for getting down and dirty. My grandfather actually had a Daisho that he somehow got in WWII, but he gave it away a few years ago.

lol at yolo.

It does seem really weird. Why was there NO reaction as the guy ran up like that? I mean, you have to assume he ran up. And there wasn't a peep or any of the security moving until a second after he tried to fire.
Could have been an elaborate plan to get the guy press seats or something, maybe wasn't just some crazy guy with a gun. I mean they're assassinating a pretty important person, after all.

I had no idea Raziaar.

Is speed relevant too?

I had no idea Raziaar.

Is speed relevant too?

Then why would you say what you said, if you knew it to be the case.

Distance is paramount in combat, and weapon length and maneuverability make a world of difference. It's entirely the reason why knights who wielded longer reaching weapons such as swords and long-swords also carried a dagger. It's far better to protect yourself with when you're in a "closer quarters combat".

So when he said "preferable for closer quarters" in relation to sword fights, it's entirely valid. So I don't understand why the sarcasm.

The Katana itself was designed for even closer quarters combat, when the Samurai found a need for it. They the tachi before that.

You don't want to be wielding a ****ing claymore when you're chest to chest with your attacker.

Distance is paramount in combat, and weapon length and maneuverability make a world of difference. It's entirely the reason why knights who wielded longer reaching weapons such as swords and long-swords also carried a dagger. It's far better to protect yourself with when you're in a "closer quarters combat".

So when he said "preferable for closer quarters" in relation to sword fights, it's entirely valid. So I don't understand why the sarcasm.

The Katana itself was designed for even closer quarters combat, when the Samurai found a need for it. They the tachi before that.

You don't want to be wielding a ****ing claymore when you're chest to chest with your attacker.
jokes

Yeah pretty much this. It's the difference between an M9 pistol and an M1014 shotgun. They're both for close quarters, but their purposes are not identical.

In what situation is a gunblade useful?

src:

Final-Fantasy-VIII-Gunblade.jpg

Back