bush wins whit 51% of the total votes?

yep, and there are about 50 million pissed americans right now

Damn right. Revolution! War! Bloodshed! The religious zealots afraid of social change and the truth of science must die!!! Or maybe something else. I dunno yet.

The sad thing is most people I know voted on one issue. "Dem gays dey be scurry. Den dey be wantin my guns so dey can ger our all volunteer army to blindly betray their morals and humanity and systematically kill their family and friends for rich government officials to take over and enslave us."

Death.Trap said:
And 59 million happy ones.
Exactly :cheers:

The sad thing is most people I know voted on one issue. "Dem gays dey be scurry. Den dey be wantin my guns so dey can ger our all volunteer army to blindly betray their morals and humanity and systematically kill their family and friends for rich government officials to take over and enslave us."

And all the people I know voted on this issue "Dem Wepublicans are soooo evil. My son and daughter will be drafted! Bush created a mind control device over everyone Ahhhhh. Lets go hug a tree friends, then we can all sing songs an paint rainbows"

:rolleyes:

Yep.

Bush - 51% - 59,417,374 votes
Kerry - 48% - 55,892,789 votes
Third Parties - 1%

Actually not nearly as close as I thought it would be.. and for elections in general it's not even that close, both electoral and popular. Bush surpassed even Reagan on winning outright vote.

RakuraiTenjin said:
Yep.

Bush - 51% - 59,417,374 votes
Kerry - 48% - 55,892,789 votes
Third Parties - 1%

Actually not nearly as close as I thought it would be.. and for elections in general it's not even that close, both electoral and popular. Bush surpassed even Reagan on winning outright vote.

Clinton won with 49% in 1996. And then 43.3% in 1992. There were much larger 3rd party turnouts in those elections. Still the 51% is the highest in at least a decade.

If Bush does something really unpopular (where more than 2/3 of the country is pissed off) we can always impeach him. That would happen in the 90s. Now we can't do anything. They bow to us for 3-8 months then leave us alone for 4 years. I feel so used. ;(

If Bush does something really unpopular (where more than 2/3 of the country is pissed off) we can always impeach him. That would happen in the 90s. Now we can't do anything. They bow to us for 3-8 months then leave us alone for 4 years. I feel so used.
Republicans control both the Senate and the House. Wont happen unless it is something wildly drastic.

seinfeldrules said:
Clinton won with 49% in 1996. And then 43.3% in 1992. There were much larger 3rd party turnouts in those elections. Still the 51% is the highest in at least a decade.

True. Though it's not that significant when compared to the opposing 48%.

seinfeldrules said:

A decade is only 2 elections, no big deal. :hmph:

What I find funny is the voter turn out.

Here was what was expected going into the election.

- A substantially larger amount of people voting this year
- If voting exceeds 110 million votes, it will benefit Kerry
- 18-24 age group was going to make a big splash this election

Results?

Only 115 million people voted. That means only 60% of all people over the age of 18 voted. I find that disgusting.

The long held belief that larger voter turnouts benefits democrats was disproven.

People from 18-24 were absolutely pathetic. There was no change in voter participation from this category. Also, more people supported Bush than was expected (roughly 55% Kerry, Bush 45%) for this age group.

Yep, and it was the largest turnout in the history of the United States.

I think the reason behind what happened was that this election was a battle of a couple of social issues with a touch of fear thrown in for good measure.

Bush won because the poorer people hated gays and abortion more than they hated being in their current economic state (or occupying Iraq)... and they think the G-Dub is more religious. I just have one question regarding that. Why would a Christian hastily start a war against a country that hasn't actually attacked us in... oh... I don't know... probably, ever... based on shaky intelligence, give to the rich, heavily guard oil fields while leaving more important targets relatively unprotected, severely cut back on (or just cut, period) environmental improvement initiatives, prefer money from oil lobbyists over pushing for more energy efficient cars (or cars that run on something else entirely), promotes intolerance, wants to ban something that affects no one in a bad way because he thinks it's wrong based on his personal beliefs, etc. I don't see how you can call yourself Christian by saying "I don't like abortion" while having a record like that. Those things go against everything taught in the Bible. Let's see... it says greed is bad, it promotes tolerance, it says not to judge people, it says to be kind to others, etc. Christianity sounds peaceful if you just read the book... but if you look at history it doesn't show. People have said "I think Jesus would vote for George Bush"... but I think he would just be sad about the current state of affairs as a whole... and all the crap done in his name. I wouldn't be suprised (well, if you ignore the suprise of him coming back from the dead again and becoming an American citizen to vote in an election) if he voted for someone like Nader who really cares about the issues.

Oh, yeah, the fear part! Somehow, Bush made the people in the Midwest and the South deathly afraid of terrorism that only he could stop while the only place in the past decade to have a major terrorist attack on US soil (and every place that actually has a chance of being attacked in the foreseeable future) voted against him. Watch out! Them terrerests are gunna get our grain silos!

Something else that interested me is that just about all of the major cities in almost every state went blue instead of red. It seems like the places that are typically thought to be more intelligent and informed (and tend to get payed more) on a district-to-district basis, not by state, went Democrat while the rural areas stereotypically associated with ignorant rednecks went Republican. If you look at the economic and environmental policies of the two parties it seems like they got their votes backwards. In a country where religion and law are supposed to be separated it seems to play an almost unhealthy role in the voting process... especially if you think about how "important" not having gay people getting "married" is compared to the other issues (ie: insignificant).

Back