Buying games from Steam

I recommend it,you need fast Internet do download the big games though.
I have the orange box on account with CSS and Stalker and on another account I have the Silver Pack.

Unless you want to physically have something in your hands for the money you give, I see no reason not to. Simple, fast, no worse than buying it retail. :/

Ok...but if you do that then you have to not tie it to a Steam account. So if you want to do that then you have to sell your Steam account too. :|

I don't think you can sell the games or the account they are attributed to. You'd have to read the agreements.

Steam is great at what it does i.e. Fast online digital distribution with updates installed as they are made available.

From a consumers point of view, Steam should be treated as just another source for games. Shop around and find the best prices. For example, until recently Prey was still $50 despite being available at play.com for ?5 (that's 5 Pounds not 5 questions). It's now $24.99 which is still more than twice the price Play are asking. On the flip side, when Defcon was released it was cheaper to buy it through Steam than it was directly from Introversion, strange but true.

Didn't Defcon when purchased from Introversion come with a CD in the mail?

Whoops, snapped my retail CD, now I need to buy a new copy. Oh wait, I don't have a CD, I have steam. Can't snap steam.

I recommend purchasing it via retail. It's cheaper. At least, most of the time, and certainly in England.

Whoops, snapped my retail CD, now I need to buy a new copy. Oh wait, I don't have a CD, I have steam. Can't snap steam.

Once you register your CD copy on steam you can just download it next time you need to install it, so it doesnt matter.

You can't register Bioshock, apparently. A bit disappointed. Although I did get manual and case, which I like :D.
It's a good feeling having the actual CD/case in your hands...

Really hoping they allow for registration of all non-Valve games on Steam. I believe you can register PREY.

Back