Buying Portal and concerned about graphics card

Reaction score
I'm not sure where exactly to put this, seeing as there are so many computer related areas in the forum, but:

For the Holidays my parents got me an HP Pavilion DV9700 Notebook. It has a GeForce 7150M / nForce 630m graphics card, and 3838MB ram. I have the latest version of DriectX(10).

I've been thinking about purchasing Portal(don't flame me for not have playing it yet please) and I've finished the demo multiple times. However, the demo has some decent lag and don't look very good, and you probably don't want lag on a game like Portal. I've tried with all of the quality settings at there lowest(Portal depth, Nvidia Control panel Etc.) and it still seems laggy.

I want to know if my graphics card/system is just crummy, or if I have some software problem. If I have a crummy system, then I'll just give up on Portal and stick with the Flash Version, Portii and Still Alive Wii to entertain me.

Thanks!

It should run well on high settings(not very high). You won't lose too much of the fancy graphics.

Have you entered the 'graphics' settings tab? it allows for much more important settings than portal depth only. When there, click Advanced.

First setting to change: make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off, it's a performance killer for low-end cards. Then press OK and try if it runs smoother.
If it still doesn't work smooth, set the HDR setting to 'bloom' and lower some other settings.

It should run well on high settings(not very high). You won't lose too much of the fancy graphics.

Have you entered the 'graphics' settings tab? it allows for much more important settings than portal depth only. When there, click Advanced.

First setting to change: make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off, it's a performance killer for low-end cards. Then press OK and try if it runs smoother.
If it still doesn't work smooth, set the HDR setting to 'bloom' and lower some other settings.

Thank you very much! Anti-Aliasing was already turned off, but after setting HDR to bloom and lowering some of the other settings, the game ran much better! Definately buying portal now!

Back