Canadians release their suppressed, pent-up rage in Vancouver hockey riot

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Specifically I wanted to show these two videos. The first one there is a dude who valiantly stands up for his city and tries to stop people from further destroying a car (featuring a couple of fagg0t-ass tough guy skateboarders that I would pay literally $20 just to be able to punch one of them in the face) - go to about 2:00 in the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWLqLeRv5sw

The second video is much worse. Same situation (move to about 1:45) where a guy is trying to stop people from looting a store... and a dozen people in the crowd get sucked into groupthink and actually start beating the shit out of him just because he's the only one of them with enough balls to try and stop people from doing wrong things. This video is absolutely disgusting... if I was in a riot I guess I'd get my ass beat into the ground because if I had been there I would have leapt straight into the melee to try and defend this guy.

http://www.realradio.fm/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=425022&article=8715092

I guess all these years of being so laid back and easygoing has left a lot of simmering pent-up anger beneath the surface of your average Canadian that boils over from time to time....

That's cool, they got healthcare.

No, but this is pretty bad, and shouldn't happen. It's just something that happens to people in crowds, if alot of people do one thing the crowd will follow. Survival instinct I guess. I hope they're okay :(

In America you get shot in the face.

As somebody from a suburb near-ish Vancouver, I'm appalled and disgusted that ****ing bridge-kids (people from over the bridge in places like Surrey) came and wrecked the city.

Its things like this that proves to me that there really are two classes of people. There are the free thinkers and then there is the herd.

If this isn't a first world problem, I have no clue what is.

Absolutely shameful. The canucks fanbase isn't the first Canadian fanbase to do this either (looking at you, Montreal). People get all tough when they are part of a crowd, and do things they wouldnt even dare thinking of doing on their own. I dont even understand why you would want to wreck parts of your own city.

ukSF1.jpg

Priorities. Have them.

Well, that sucks.

Don't have much else to say...

The football hooliganism in my country annoys me enough as it is. Now this? Damn it, Canada!

If this isn't a first world problem, I have no clue what is.
Luckily just about all of us on this here forum live in a first-world situation ;) also I'd submit that there are far more "first-world" problems than this, like how your town doesn't rate a McDonalds or Wendys, just a crappy ol' Burger King. Rioting over hockey is definitely a first world problem but mob psychology is relevant everywhere!
I'm not sure. I didn't see anybody in the video clarify that.
Bwahahahahaha

this pic is pretty awesome. dude defends his truck from rioters

32.jpg

Goddamn. Flashbang in the nuts. I bet that guy thought that would be his last moment on earth. I can't even imagine.

this pic is pretty awesome. dude defends his truck from rioters

32.jpg

God damn that is a punch.

Bunch of idiots. Yeah OK, I guess there's the rush of "taking over" the city and of being "invincible" as a crowd, but shit, why destroy some random peoples' property? Theyre not even destroying stuff belonging to someone they hate, in which case it would make some sense. If those skater bois were caught and put in front of the owner of that vehicle they smashed up and were asked by him "why did you destroy my car?", they would not know where to look.

Regarding the second video: it was good to see that there were still some people that had the sense to stop that beating of the guy. I wonder if everyone dispersed right after as to not be associated with the act or perhaps they sobered up a little after seeing what it has come to.

http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/

Never fear, Captain Vancouver is here to publicly shame the rioters.

That is pretty awesome, actually. Will wipe the smirks off of some of those rioters' faces.

the Police said Anarchists are ones that did the vandalism and some of the looting....very sad the same people always cause trouble at he G6/G8/G20 summits

one thing I noticed here in spain and europe is that whole thing of messing whitt he police=cool,maybe this first world countryes should allow corrupt cops more often so that doesnt hapen cuz it works in countrys like mine

Haha, this is great. One of those douchebags smashing a car up, in the first video posted by Ennui, gets justice after withdrawing from a fight with the good guy from that same video. It was cheap, but ****er deserved it.

That guy just got knocked the **** out.

I liked how he was on the phone when he delivered the punch. Y'know, just casually knockin' dudes out.

Hahaha excellent. There was a little catharsis watching that video. Too bad it wasn't that ****er with the 40oz shirt on in the first video though.

What a beast. God damn it makes me absolutely furious to watch the mob mentality unfold though. It's pathetic seeing all these grown-ass people acting like a bunch of violent children. I would say it causes me to lose respect for Canadians but honestly it's humans in general that are shitheads.

here's an article about that guy: http://www.theprovince.com/news/hero+among+rotten+rioting+pack/4967422/story.html

What a goddamn baller. Holy shit. This guy works as a photographer, security guard, and care worker for severely disabled people. He's a pro-weed activist and was watching the game in a cannabis "lounge" downtown when he saw the rioting start and stepped in to try and convince people not to be idiots. I can't even describe how much respect I have for people that have the principles and courage to stand up for what's right in situations like this where you can get beaten to death for doing so.

Also, I love this website: http://publicshamingeternus.wordpress.com/

Its intention is to identify and call out people who were photographed or filmed looting or breaking things. Obviously it could backfire if it implicates someone unfairly or inaccurately, but for the most part the people identified are clearly recording doing illegal shit and IMO they deserve every bit of retribution (losing scholarships, jobs, etc). It went viral a few days ago so it's been getting a lot of attention.

I don't like the tone of that blog. It is so self-righteous, disgusting. This going viral is basically another variant of the mob mentality at work in Vancouver a couple of days ago. People like to see stuff get broken, whether it is cars and shop fronts or careers and lives.

ukSF1.jpg

Priorities. Have them.
Professional photographer. Staged photo.

Whose city is it?
Mine.

Only reason this happened is because idiots wanted to relive 1994. Numerous anarchists came prepared with bandanas, molotovs, and fire extinguishers to bash windows in. Same thing as G8. Morons going as far as to claim the police incited the incident. Opposite is true: wasn't nearly enough police presence. I mean when your downtown looks like this:

MGAel.jpg

and there's one officer per 400 drunken people, and your team could lose for the second time in 17 years... don't you think you should put more guys on duty?

Many of the rioters identified on Facebook were from Surrey and other suburbs. I have no respect for ****s from those areas, and neither does most of Vancouver.

Professional photographer. Staged photo.

You're staged :p They were knocked down to the ground, she was injured and he was comforting her. He's kissing her on the cheek. Watch this: http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/06/18/nr.riot.kiss.explainer.cnn?hpt=hp_mid

I don't know. Does the dude have clean hands himself?

No idea. If he doesn't, then he should not be taking a moral highground, but his manner aside - identifying some of those responsible for some of that pointless damage seems a good thing to me. Maybe it'll make some people think twice in the future, knowing that all those mobile devices everyone is waving around may catch their faces and lead to IDing them. Perhaps it will not change their mentality, but if that means reducing the unnecessary damage, because people will be afraid of getting caught afterwards and will restrain themselves, then I support that.

No idea. If he doesn't, then he should not be taking a moral highground, but his manner aside - identifying some of those responsible for some of that pointless damage seems a good thing to me. Maybe it'll make some people think twice in the future, knowing that all those mobile devices everyone is waving around may catch their faces and lead to IDing them. Perhaps it will not change their mentality, but if that means reducing the unnecessary damage, because people will be afraid of getting caught afterwards and will restrain themselves, then I support that.

I am not against naming and shaming but I prefer it to be done by law enforcement in stead of internet 'heroes' like this dude. I bet he has skeletons in his own closet.

Back