Can't play original Half-Life without installing more Steam software???

T

teh roxxors

OK, now Newell has finally pissed me off with his spyware.

I didn't mind letting Steam download patches for me. I didn't have a fit when it wanted to send "client information" to God-knows-who.

But now I can't even play the original Half-Life I've owned for years, because every time I try, Steam Tools wants me to download and install some goddamn Source Dedicated Server software.

I want to play a video game I bought years ago, but now I can't unless I let Newell install more Steam/Source software on my computer?

It's bullshit. I don't want Valve controlling how or when I play games I bought five and six years ago, when there was none of this "Gabe Newell Owns Your Computer With Steam" crap.

It's not spyware, it's a program that allows you to start your own dedicated server. Just download HL and the tool, then get rid of the tool. It's at least worth a shot.

Huh? Really shouldn't be doing that. If it is downloading, right-click on it, go to properties, delete local game content. It then won't download unless you explicitly install it.

i my half-life game keeps crashing every time i can't even enjoy it and its been that way for a while too

If you don't want to go through the trouble, just install it with your original CD and patch it up manually if need be. Jeez.

And good god, you're paranoid. Spyware? I doubt Valve have any sort of malicious intent.

also... you can still play HL without steam if you have the CD. You just can't play online.

^ Im with ghost on that...But other than the problem with memory eating it's great software.

steam is only eating 4.5MB Ram on my PC.... :weird:

Back