Castro dying, gives up power

homosexuality isnt illegal in cuba ..not since 1979 ..sure there were imprisonments in the past but most of the world back then had tough anti-gay legislation. Things since then have changed:

wiki said:
gay author Ian Lumsden claims that since 1986 there is "little evidence to support the contention that the persecution of homosexuals remains a matter of state policy".[2] However, the state's treatment of homosexuals remains a subject of controversy, and like other subjects relating to Cuba, the accounts of supporters of the Castro government are often quite different to those of its opponents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Cuba

even fidel himself has changed his tune:

wiki said:
Fidel Castro stated that homosexuality is a “natural aspect and tendency of human beings”

homosexuality isnt illegal in cuba ..not since 1979 ..sure there were imprisonments in the past but most of the world back then had tough anti-gay legislation. Things since then have changed:

Just because everybody else did it doesnt make it any less wrong. And the fact that it happened in the first place still makes me think that Castro was a bit of a shit.

But yes indeed, you are correct in saying that LGBT rights have improved recently. And religious freedom has improved too - Castro now describes the country as 'Secular' as opposed to 'Atheist' and the persecution of catholics has stopped.

But even so - the lack of freedom of speech and democracy is still inexcusable.

of course it is ..enough for us to intervene? there's plenty worse in this world

sanctions?

No, that will harm the people more than it does the government.

Im not sure what to do. I dont like that people in places like Cuba, North Korea and Iran are suffering and being oppressed, but how do we help them without making the situation worse for everyone?

man the congo is in far far more dire need ..as is somalia, Sudan and there's recent rumblings in ethiopia ..people are being slaughtered yet no one seems to care about their plight, there'll be no calvary charge, no "coalition of the willing" to save the day

How many people leave Cuba by 'rowboat' each year? How many of them are political dissidents who don't agree with the system, versus refugees leaving the country for quality of life reasons?

Judging this whole thing is not simple. You can say Castro is a tyrant who oppresses his people, but what about the US prison population? There are a LOT of factors at play in both nations, and breaking it down to system of government alone is a bad idea.

man the congo is in far far more dire need ..as is somalia, Sudan and there's recent rumblings in ethiopia ..people are being slaughtered yet no one seems to care about their plight, there'll be no calvary charge, no "coalition of the willing" to save the day

This is a strong indicator of how strongly propaganda works.

Cuba and Iran and Korea and Iraq are talked about constantly, but you rarely hear a thing about smaller nations with far more suffering.

Next time somebody complains about Cuba, or Korea, I'll ask them about one of these countries. if they don't know about the situation, then I'll be pretty sure they're basing their complaints on propaganda, or political differences, instead of actual compassion for humanity.

(and the rest not directed at CptStern)

Something I'd add is that most of the world has NOT been under 'democracy' for very long. Democracy is not a natural state. Totalitarianism, monarchies, dictatorships, etc, are closer to the 'natural state'. In most nations, the process of conversion to democracy was long and difficult. In the US things were sped up because the British were already close to democracy, but even in the US you had a revolution and a bloody civil war trying to sort things out.

Keep that in mind when you complain that a nation isn't democratic yet.

I think the reason you don't see more people taking action on helping to fix some of those places in africa is because the problems over there seem so massive and rampant that no one knows where to even start. You've got AIDs everywhere, tons of of uneducated ignorant folk doing things the wrong way, ak47s being handed out to kids, warring warlords, widespread goverment corruption, just to name a few.

Something does need to happen, but the amount of capital and manpower it would take would be enormous. While the returns would be almost nonexistant. Thus causing most governments to balk at doing anything, leaving it up to smaller organizations to help in minor ways.

This is a strong indicator of how strongly propaganda works.

Cuba and Iran and Korea and Iraq are talked about constantly, but you rarely hear a thing about smaller nations with far more suffering.

Next time somebody complains about Cuba, or Korea, I'll ask them about one of these countries. if they don't know about the situation, then I'll be pretty sure they're basing their complaints on propaganda, or political differences, instead of actual compassion for humanity.

(and the rest not directed at CptStern)

Something I'd add is that most of the world has NOT been under 'democracy' for very long. Democracy is not a natural state. Totalitarianism, monarchies, dictatorships, etc, are closer to the 'natural state'. In most nations, the process of conversion to democracy was long and difficult. In the US things were sped up because the British were already close to democracy, but even in the US you had a revolution and a bloody civil war trying to sort things out.

Keep that in mind when you complain that a nation isn't democratic yet.

It doesnt matter, its not fair. But democracy must come from the inside. The people have to want it badly enough to make one.

why people here say castro is great?
just someone telling me "I think chavez is great"
why seriously why?
they should go the country to feel the stuff for them self
sure all they had done was reading "official goverments reports"

I'd say invade them, throw him out of power, along with his family, establish a democratic goverment there, and let capitalism prevail.

But that might not work.....

sure if castro dies nothing will change
his brother or any other of his asskissers will keep the same goverment

I don't think you're aware of how abysmal our current forced democracy is working...

Worst case scenario is that the old fart becomes a martyr like the commie poster boy Che. However since he doesn't have the youthful looks and his last days are likely to be remembered as him falling asleep at mics, falling into chairs, or bleeding from his ass, that is unlikely.

Since Raul is taking up the reigns, only time can tell if can keep his shitty communist governent afloat, or if it crumbles around him allowing democarcy to get in.

When you think about it... it's wierd that he's still around. He and Kennedy are of the same era and Kennedy is long gone. Just wierd.

Most likely he will die, someone else will take his place, and nothing will change..

Back