Center speaker and Sub not working

SpuD

Reaction score
I have a Asus a7n8x-x mobo and a nice set of phillips 5.1 speakers.

I used NVSwap to get them all set right, and they all make sound when they are supposed to. But, when I listen to music, using WinAmp or Windows Media Player only the front and surrounds work, no sub.

Why? I know its hooked up right, because they work in NVSwap, but thats it

You're still alive :D

As for the problem, music usually is stereo. What do you use to make it surround? Do you have any option like 'bass redirection'? I have that with my Creative SB audigy LS. The bass is handled by the subwoofer then. I'm not sure how to get your center working. Is everything set to 5.1? not quadraphonic or something?

goto control pannel, sounds and audio devices and goto the advanced tab on speaker settings.

Yeah I havent posted in months.

It is set to 5.1 in my control panel. I tried using the 5.1 audio out plugin for winamp, but the sub still wouldnt work.

You have to tick the LFE box (to create the lfe channel) in NV settings.

If you want the center speaker to work, you have to edit the registry to change a 0 to a 1 ... just google that part.

Actually, just open regedit, search for createcenter and change it to 1 - then reboot and you should have a center channel.

The LFE doodah is under 'Surround Settings' on the second tab of the nv mixer panel. Just tick the 'LFE Crossover Frequency' box, and set the slider to 64. This takes the bass from the other channels and devotes it entirely to the subwoofer - the way it's meant to be. 64 is a default value of the frequency range of where the bass is in the audio spectrum, and shouldn't really be changed.

God knows why nVidia have made it so hard to get all the channels working properly, I guess they figure 99% of their customers use stereo speakers or headphones.

Oh, and hi SpuD

Back