Check out this guy's Halloween Costume

I dunno if it's just me, but that distinctly appears Photoshopped in my opinion.

AgentXen said:
This seems intresting. Something arrived in my e-mail today.
Apperently this guy is ready to go trick or treating, Or maybe possibly rob a bank or something
He made his own Halloween Costume

Here:

http://img227.echo.cx/img227/3962/combinehalloweencostume7ch.jpg

He appears to be a professional clothes designer. It seems like he spent the last 6 months working on this.
Where exactly did you get the image from? Did you know it was Photoshopped?

all photoshopped, and even if it IS a costume its too real looking.

Looks cool!

But thats a photoshop job if i've ever seen one for sure.

-Andee

AgentXen said:
It recevied this from some one registred at the site from whitch we dont speak of...

He also told me he is working on a full sized version robot of Dog. Apperently the cops arrested him because his robot smached a car

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/383/dogbot0se.jpg
THAT is Photoshopped without a doubt.

Great work on the Combine one though.

You could tell if you looked around the head.
It would be sweet if that was true though, interesting about HDR

They arent photoshopped at all :LOL: They are just great looking renders with HDR and lighting from the background's enviroment. Or something. :)

I believe that they posed the models, then rendered with HDR Lighting and all settings up etc... Then they placed them into a real world photo.

Of a room, or a street, etc.

He extracted the combine model using gcfscape, imported it into 3d studio max, rendered it using a third party plugin renderer using HDR, making sure the light source on the model matched the lighting in the room. He then added the combine into the picture of the bed using photoshop. This is a few days old, I read about this on another forum - and it's rather cool. Supposedly it's for a short movie he and some friends are making.

A few points: It is a render, not the product of a fancy video card, it is not a life-size combine costume, it does not use the Source engine in any way, it does not use bloom, it does not use the Source engine's version of HDR. The backgrounds are not 3d models, they are photos.

Also I don't remember for sure but I think the creator subdivided a few faces on the model to smooth it out, he definately did for the one he did of the vortigaunt.

Its still very amazing, just look at the first picture of the strider, I cant wait for games to become like that

Man needs to be given a warning since I saw this at the Garry's Mod forums a few days ago. Don't try to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

One day, we -will- have costumes like these for holloween.

holy crap. photoshop or no photoshop, that takes some skill right there.

lol I love the wa you guys think that photoshop can do everything including HDRI rendering :p

brisck1 said:
lol I love the wa you guys think that photoshop can do everything including HDRI rendering :p
Photoshop can do HDR i think.

From the thread in question he definitely smoothed out the models a bunch. I've got one of his pics as my desktop background at work right now. The thread is definitely worth a read, especially if you want to see the other renders he's done so far. Some of them look pretty real, IMHO. And for all of you whose 'Shop-dar (Photoshop radar) is going off, he does say that he uses PS to combine the net result.

/me snickers at the concept of photoshop doing HDR

i dont get why valve didnt make the game look as good as those pics

gabriel said:
i dont get why valve didnt make the game look as good as those pics

Because it would have taken many years to make, and take about 10 minutes to render each frame even on the highest spec PCs, that's why.

FictiousWill said:
You think wrongly. Photoshop is merely an image editing suite.

www.cnet.com said:
Adobe Photoshop CS2 is a serious image-editing package, with advanced features beyond what the casual user will want or need. For example, in this release, Adobe introduces features targeted toward professional photographers moving to an all-digital work flow, such as support for 32-bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) images, allowing you to merge multiple exposures of a single image into one composite image.

I win.

he hardly used photoshop, most of the work was done with other stuff, if you go to the next page at gmod forums he posts how he did it:
Blimey, thanks for all the great feedback... I think this thread has gone off course now!

Anyway, much appreciated. I've posted a few images to sort of explain how things are done.

1. The background photo is taken.

2. The light probe is photographed at multiple exposures to capture all the levels of light in the area.

3. It's then tranformed into a panorama, which is later wrapped around the 3D scene as a global light source (using the multiple levels of light which are stored into a HDR file.)

4. A photo is taken of the probe with the same angle of the final shot, which you later use in the 3D software to line the reflective sphere up with a digital one (effectively rotating the lighting into place)

5. Different layers are posed/prepared in the 3D software before the final rendering is done.

6. Each layer is rendered using the lighting captured with the reflective sphere, and then composited in Photoshop.
photoshop is the last and least step

Back