Chell's age in relation to the Portal storyline

Reaction score
Okay so in the Final Hours of Portal 2 we learned that the first Portal game takes place some time during 2010, and that is helpful for finding out her age. But the problem is finding out her age during the Neurotoxin Massacre and Portal 2 itself. Aperture Science's Bring Your Daughter to Work day took place sometime in the same year as the Black Mesa incident of Half-Life... That sure helps a lot doesn't it? 200x... What is x...? Well in Half-Life there is a calender which page is on December, the date on the calender shows that the year was 2002 or 2007 since the Sundays of the 8th 15th 21st 27th only occurred in 2002 and 2007 we can assume this calender is outdated making the dates 2003 and 2008 either way 2002 and 2003 are much, much more likely because I highly doubt Chell is a toddler when we are playing her in Portal... Let's say 2003 because it's much more likely that Black Mesa just never switched out the calendars for some reason then they get the month wrong, an explanation being during the rivalry with Aperture, Breen chose to re-use calendars to save money, dumber things have happened in that universe... Chell in Portal LOOKS to be in her early twenties or late teens.... It would make sense that during Aperture's BYDTWD she was around ten or eleven. Meaning she is in Portal 1 most likely 17 or 18... In Portal 2 Chell was awoken after 9999999 years... It's much more likely the damn thing broke. She was in stasis for years, but how many years? Portal 2 takes place after the Combine have been defeated, and 2010 was 7 years into the occupation. Obviously 7 years isn't enough for nature to reclaim Aperture Science as it's own... In the show Life After People towns started to be covered by plants in a similar fashion to the way Aperture was starting to get after around twenty years, assuming that the AI's had helped at all to stop the spread of plant life, we could say it would be about thirty or forty years... So Chell is somewhere between 47 and 58... And for the record, Gordon in Half-Life 2 is about 47...

Is your signature a reference to the times when if you were going to get raped a woman would yell fire instead of rape because they for the most part didn't care about rape? Or am I over thinking it?

It is also a link... Hint...

Gordon didn't actually get older from HL1 to HL2 because G-Man froze him in time, or at least that's what i think...

eli mentions how gordon hasn't changed one iota

It's implied he was put into stasis and that stopped his aging. I suppose he might be like 20 minutes older though.

Technically if he hasn't change one iota then you're wrong. And I'd trust a scientist over you.

To reiterate... I was speaking in relation to time not time on Earth, if we went by the time in stasis then in that case astronauts don't age because they are not on earth but we flip it in this case, in Earth years Gordon is 47, in stasis there is no measurable age so he would be 27 forever. Can you pick up what I am putting down Domingo?

To reiterate... I was speaking in relation to time not time on Earth, if we went by the time in stasis then in that case astronauts don't age because they are not on earth but we flip it in this case, in Earth years Gordon is 47, in stasis there is no measurable age so he would be 27 forever. Can you pick up what I am putting down Domingo?
But Age is simply a unit of measurement that is use to measure time in relation to the subject discussed. If a 30 year old man travels back in time 20 years, he is still 30 years old, not ten. For gordon, time was stopped for him (the definition of stasis), ergo he has not aged. He may have existed for longer than his age, but age is the measurement of a specific thing.

I think people are just misunderstanding each other. Time is relative, and all plz is saying that relative to earth time, Gordon WOULD be 47, if he wasn't in stasis, Relative to himself, he is just 27. Why are we even arguing this? this topic is about Chell's age.

The chamber/bedroom thing that we found Chell in in the beginning of Portal 2, what if that was stasis too, and during the time asleep in there, she didn't age?

I think people are just misunderstanding each other. Time is relative, and all plz is saying that relative to earth time, Gordon WOULD be 47, if he wasn't in stasis, Relative to himself, he is just 27. Why are we even arguing this? this topic is about Chell's age.

The chamber/bedroom thing that we found Chell in in the beginning of Portal 2, what if that was stasis too, and during the time asleep in there, she didn't age?

^ Thank you

I wonder if there's any good way to relate the Portal and HL universes to each other in Episode 3/Halflife 3. The tone of the two games are nothing like each other. Plus I barely remember all the plot points from Portal 2 and Episode 2 now... methinks it's time for another playthrough.

I wonder if there's any good way to relate the Portal and HL universes to each other in Episode 3/Halflife 3. The tone of the two games are nothing like each other. Plus I barely remember all the plot points from Portal 2 and Episode 2 now... methinks it's time for another playthrough.

What if Gordon passes Chell's stasis chamber during a Portal strom like... thingy?

Half-Life 3 will have Coop mode. One player is Gordon Freeman with Gravity Gun, the other is Chell with Portal Gun.

Half-Life 3 will have Coop mode. One player is Gordon Freeman with Gravity Gun, the other is Chell with Portal Gun.

"shoehorning in characters from portal is a good idea"

Okay so in the Final Hours of Portal 2 we learned that the first Portal game takes place some time during 2010, and that is helpful for finding out her age.

It said that Portal occurred around 2010, we don't know the exact year.

But the problem is finding out her age during the Neurotoxin Massacre and Portal 2 itself. Aperture Science's Bring Your Daughter to Work day took place sometime in the same year as the Black Mesa incident of Half-Life...

Wasn't it Bring Your Cat to Work Day that the neurotoxin incident took place?

It said that Portal occurred around 2010, we don't know the exact year.​
Wasn't it Bring Your Cat to Work Day that the neurotoxin incident took place?​

... No...? It was daughter... I highly doubt there was a cat named Chell who made a potato battery...

... No...? It was daughter... I highly doubt there was a cat named Chell who made a potato battery...

Well, of course BYDTWD happened, but in a time of dot matrix paper (look at the BDTWD banner), discontinued in 1995. Also, I doubt that an 11-year-old girl would spell observations as "odservations." At the most, I'd guess she could be about 8, which puts her year of birth at around 1985.
Here's my timeline (with estimated dates):
1985 - Chell Johnson is born.
1990-1995 - GLaDOS is activated on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. According to Wheatley, it did not end well.
Later - GLaDOS is fitted with a morality core, and Chell gets a part time job at Aperture.
200X - Chell, in her twenties, attends Aperture's BYCTWD, and GLaDOS uses neurotoxin to kill all of those that do not opt into the testing program.

Well, of course BYDTWD happened, but in a time of dot matrix paper (look at the BDTWD banner), discontinued in 1995. Also, I doubt that an 11-year-old girl would spell observations as "odservations." At the most, I'd guess she could be about 8, which puts her year of birth at around 1985.
Here's my timeline (with estimated dates):
1985 - Chell Johnson is born.
1990-1995 - GLaDOS is activated on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. According to Wheatley, it did not end well.
Later - GLaDOS is fitted with a morality core, and Chell gets a part time job at Aperture.
200X - Chell, in her twenties, attends Aperture's BYCTWD, and GLaDOS uses neurotoxin to kill all of those that do not opt into the testing program.

Where did you get a BYCTWD... That is not in the game(s).

She did say that on BYDTWD she wanted to show them an experiment using Cats and Boxes... But there is no mention of a Cat to work day...

Nothing about a cat to work day in the official storyline either. I think you made an error of some kind friend.

Dot matrix paper may have been "discontinued" but it's Aperture... It's one of those stereotypical companies Valves makes fun of, they didn't want to waste paper so they used that. Also in Half-Life 2 Issac has a dot matrix printer. Also you can still buy Dot Matrix printers for Twenty bucks in the stores.

Also if Aperture's BYDTWD happened in 1995 and the scientist lived through the first disaster... Wouldn't they oh I don't know... Clean it up? Toss the potatoes into the trash? I mean you have to get rid of evidence there was children or Aperture could be in a lot of trouble for child endangerment. I mean the Daycare center was in between the Neurotoxin tanks and the turret lines!

But it never happened... Because of the massacre...

OK, even though by now I'm pretty sure that you're correct, Chell certainly doesn't look like a teen in Portal, or in Portal 2, in which she was only 50 days older (biologically. Yeah, Gordon's chronological age is 47, his biological age 27. Thought I'd just clear that up.), and doesn't GLaDOS say that she had her morality core installed after she flooded the enrichment center? 'Cause in Lab Rat GLaDOS has a morality core when talking about BYCTWD. Anyway, here are some Steam forums about the topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117788 and http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854081.

OK, even though by now I'm pretty sure that you're correct, Chell certainly doesn't look like a teen in Portal, or in Portal 2, in which she was only 50 days older (biologically. Yeah, Gordon's chronological age is 47, his biological age 27. Thought I'd just clear that up.), and doesn't GLaDOS say that she had her morality core installed after she flooded the enrichment center? 'Cause in Lab Rat GLaDOS has a morality core when talking about BYCTWD. Anyway, here are some Steam forums about the topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2117788 and http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854081.

I'm a Portal fan boy.

You say "the combine have been defeated". How do you know? Unless I missed some key information. Bear in mind I am poisoned by moon rocks.

Black Mesa Incident happened in 200X (presumed to be 2003 due to Raising the Bar), which happened several weeks after the Rise of GLaDOS, which was the same day as Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. Chell was evidently there during that day due to her project being on display. Based on her writing style, the dialect of words used in the project, we can assume she was 10-ish. 7 years later, she wakes up in an unfamiliar, older body that has passed through puberty and looks older than she really is due to the lack of nutritions of doing nothing but sleeping, frozen in space and time (She now being 17 years old).

100 - 200 years later (based on the presumed size of the modern Aperture Science facilities [a small - medium city] and how long it would take for it to decay) Chell rises in a much younger-looking fit body, due to the cryochamber technology being better than that of a simple "cryo-bed" (biological age = 17. Actual age = Anywhere around 117 - 217)

Last edited by a moderator:
[I hate my old laptop, this post will be soon completed :p ]

Here's some info about that topic from the Collector's guide from P2 ;

2000- ????
"The GLaDOS AI is activated for the first time as one of the planned activ-ities on Aperture's first annual BYDTWD (...) With the Morality core in place, GLaDOS turs her attention back to facility and begins testing. Days later, the Black Mesa Incident occurs which leads to the Combine taking over the world, and all survivors within Aperture Science are forgotten."

(... )

Last edited:
Back