Combine Scout Towers

V

Viscid

Just noticed an interesting thing about the combine scout towers; when they notice you, they shoot a flare up into the sky. This should look neat during night scenes.

I think this flare alerts those flying machine gun things, as one appears just after this fires its flare.

So, in the game, don't alert the scout towers, or you'll have a massive bug on your ass. Snipe them first, then take on the guys below.

http://www.viscidity.com/stuffs/ohneat.avi

sweet, really good find man. at first i thought you somehow edited that and added it in, cause when you pointed it out it seemed so obvious. but i watched the video i have an saw it for myself. should be pretty cool to see in game.

God that is a nice feature Realy well spotted.Viscid

Imagine dodging the enimy at night with flairs going off and hyding in the shadows :)

yes it's funny how easy it is to notice in that small clip...never noticed it in the vid I have myself...and as you might now I've analyzed that one pretty much....most have seen it hundreds of time to spot small details like this one...but somehow missed it. again good find! ;)

nice find, Viscid. I would've never noticed that. I guess the smart thing to do is first snipe the scout :sniper:

Acctualy if you remember the vid the player came from behind the wall and took a couple of pot shots at the soldier on the look out post, Then turned his attention to the combine closer to the wall.

cool, beats frame per frame scanning :p

it looked really obvious to me in that short movie too, dunno how i didn't see it either...

just wached the full movie again and yea the combie scout sees you and he lets the flair off, you acctualy here the ignition of the flair then it shoots up into the sky, Then not long after a Manitee appears :)
This must be obviousley some sort of signal from the ship to appear and more troops to come.

It should be really easy to notice once we get our hands on the direct feed movie. :bounce: We might even notice other new things. :cheese:

Jager
Prowler

It should be really easy to notice once we get our hands on the direct feed movie. We might even notice other new things.

Yea your right m8, We must be missing lots of stuff with the poor quality weve had. So lets hope the new stuff comes when they say it will :)

i don't know what movies you guys got, but i got a 600MB + .mov from gamespy, and the quality is very good, no cam...

Originally posted by simon
i don't know what movies you guys got, but i got a 600MB + .mov from gamespy, and the quality is very good, no cam...

if you can hear Gabe and the audience...then it's cam....it's cam no matter what anyways since they haven't released the direct feeds yet...

lol stupid me, offcourse it's a cam, because i can hear them...

oops :)

sorry

Looks like you're gonna have to take out scout towers from a concealed position, since in the video, the second Gordon stepped out into the open, the flare went up, even before he took those shots at the tower.

shot were acctualy fired first ..and what about the fire fight before they got round the corner.?

hmmm The combine on duty on the tower must have been dooing something else.?
he was very slow in releasing the flair IMO..

he prolly only shot it up when he thought it was necesary...after the freedom fighters breached the combine defense-line.

No question the players attention was on the tower when they got through the doorway and up to the first barrier, The player looked up and then turned to fire to his right hand side to engage the Combine on the ramp. By then though the Flair had obviousley been disscharged and the Manitee was on the way.

ffs read what I'm saying people...I'm getting seriously tired of people twisting my words...

I was talking about the friggin combine in the scout tower!

I'm getting seriously tired of people twisting my words...

i calm the hell down m8.
No question the players attention was on the tower when they got through the doorway .

Surely the commentary on the cam video is useful to explain what's going on in the demo. Without the commentary, it would just be a series of video clips.
I dont really have o point, so dont ask me what my point is.
The quality is very good on my version, so how much better will the new videos be?

Does anyone know when more news is likely to be released? I am dying to find out more about the weapons and new enemies etc.

Originally posted by [sl@yer]
Surely the commentary on the cam video is useful to explain what's going on in the demo. Without the commentary, it would just be a series of video clips.
I dont really have o point, so dont ask me what my point is.
The quality is very good on my version, so how much better will the new videos be?

Does anyone know when more news is likely to be released? I am dying to find out more about the weapons and new enemies etc.

The point of the direct feed is that it will be in total focus at all times, no blurring with great sound.

I think in the released vids, some of the sound was slightly off, i think the lip syncing is actually alot better than we saw due to the sound being slightly of (about 0.1/0.2 seconds out of phase with the video) sync.

From a direct feed we will be able to fully appreciate the detail put into the game, right now, although the quality is good, compared to a direct feed, its nothing

SD

Yeah good point. In the video reactions seemed to happen early, eg some planks of bood boarding up a door broke before gordon hit them with the crowbar. According to Gabe this has nothing to do with errors in the actual game, but just the poor synching on this cam video. maybe they could have still kept the commentary. dont know.

but just the poor synching on this cam video.

it's more than that, though I agree that the talking is lagged with the lips. It's actually an artifact of demo playback, as well as the fact that they've only just put the crowbar in the game.

I noticed it last night but i didn't want to get a rumor as a spammer :/

Also to do with the crowbar. In the gameplay video, gordon hits a zombie on a bridge with the crowbar, but the "spalt" or blood effects look really poor and 2d, similar to the blood in the first game. Do you think that these effects were temporary for the demonstration or will they stay like that. It seems unlikely that valve would slack on something like that, so i'm guessing that they are temporary. Does anyone else know anything about this???

I'm pretty sure those blood sprites are placeholders from the first game... notice that the blood is green, though in the spinning blade sequences when he cuts the zombies in half the blood is red and far more finished.

Good point. What a relief. Although i suspected that this was the case.

The cool thing with the zombie blood effects is that if you hit the headcrab you get yellow blood, hit the human host and you get red blood, it's a nice touch.

And sprite effect when the zombie gets crowbarred is the exact same sprite as from HL1, so Valve were using it as a placeholder, all the other blood effects were cool blood puffs in the air.

Ok, i finally got the movie with the Hydras/Buzzsaw things.

And gordon shoots at the soldiers... with what looks like flares! They look pretty much identical to the ones from the movie at the start of this thread.

But why would he use flares as a weapon? It explains why they go up in flames so well, but the last game to use flares as a weapon was Blood, as far as i can remember.

You think there's a chance one of them will pull a Homer Simpson and nail the manatee flying thing with a flare by mistake?

the aliengunship IS part of the combine. I remember that even gabe confirmed it in some e-mail.

the strider and the aliengunship are both part of the combine

and the flare looks alot like the flare that is shot of in SOF2 when you capture a flag :)

I remember reading that the striders were not part of the combine.

The flare gun was actually spotted a while back...but kudos for rediscovering it :). It is a very cool feature and should add a little more strategy and sneaking/sniping to the game.

The crowbar and blood effects were said to be just "placeholder effects" for the E3 showing.

BTW gamevoodoo, it seems to be common speculation that the alien gunship ("manatee") and perhaps even the strider are combine vehicles or robots. I seem to recall Gabe confirming this for the alien gunship (but not the strider).

no! the strider has to be alien! HAS TO BE

no shoddy robots or anything. id hate to go "ahahah die strider DIE" and when it comes crashing to the ground with a barrel sticking in its head, i dont want to see a robotic panel etc... thatd suck so bad.

Back