Commentary is awesome

tehsolace

Reaction score
I just played EP1 with commentary's enabled, and its really awesome because it really made me notice and appreciate how much playtesting and refining they do. Most of the time they talked about how many changes they made after playtesting so that the final product would be most enjoyable.

I suggest everybody plays EP1 a second time with commentary's enabled if they haven't done so already :D

I agree. You really don't know how much work was put into the game.

Yeah, I liked it too. They put so much thought into their games. What did it say on the Steam results? Like, 17% had played with the commentary or something? That's a shame.

Welcome to approximately a month ago today. :hmph:

But yeah, I never thought I could play a whole game like that, but I managed it. And it was awesome. XD

Reginald said:
Welcome to approximately a month ago today. :hmph:

But yeah, I never thought I could play a whole game like that, but I managed it. And it was awesome. XD

I would of had done it a month ago, but I had recently upgraded my vid card and decided to replay HL2 first, then Lost coast, and finally EP1... and I paced myself nicely so it took about 2-3 weeks.

I turned on the Commentary just because there is such a function. I deem that it is a loss of money if I don't make use of it, even though I don't fully understand the content of it. :p

It really goes to show the incredible ammount of consideration and production value that went into Episode One, even for simple things like witnessing small scripted events.

Really insightful too.

I too recomend you play through with the commentary on. I picked up a few game play tips from the speech's. I'm not actualy sure I heard each one and am thinking about having another run through. Problem is my video card fried 2 weeks back and I am still waiting for news on my RMA request. I don't think I could replay the game with this old video card, the game just would'nt be the same.

17%? FOR SHAME! FOR SHAME! :p

I play it once without commentary just so nothing is ruined, then I play again with commentary just cause I find it really interesting. I really like the way the do it, it's clever.

On my second play through, that elevator scene is too hectic for the commentary. While getting through there I mainly used the commentaries as god mode so I could just get through the game (to listen to all the commentary). The only problem is that I am constantly fighting things so I don't have time to hear the commentary. I might turn of the AI later on tonight so I can listen to the commentary in peace.

On the second playthrough, I went out of my way to listen to the commentary.
Anyone who doesnt listen to the commentary is missing out on some very interesting stuff. I suggest you put subtitles on while listening to the commentary, so if the battle noises get too loud for you to hear the commentary, you can just read it of the screen instead.

Not only does commentary add replayability, it grants interesting insight into the creation of EP1, there's two advantages :)

if you liked the commentaries(haven't bought EP1 yet myself...but know how they work from Lost coast) I'm sure you'd appreciate picking up Half-life 2: Raising the bar. it's an excellent book with a lot of interesting info.

You should hear the commentary mode in Chronicles of Riddick, that is what i call a commentary.. must be over 3 hours spoken lines there some parts they talk over 15min about the game.. kinda cool you get to hear alot of stuff about how it goes to develope a game.

hell yes i love the riddick game and the commentary is better. it is not as scripted as it is in episode one.

yea i loved thous thing to really cool and now know more shit about the .. shit

Back