Comp wont turn on! :(

CowPunk

Reaction score
q6600 2.4ghz OC'd to 3.0ghz
MSI p43-C51 MoBo
4GB DDR3 G. Skill ram
550 watt PSU
MSI 560ti Twin Frozr

So, I'm playing BFBC2 when my comp just shut off. I waited a min for it to cool down, but when I hit the power switch the lights came on for about a half a sec then shut back off. I took the side off, nothing really smelled burned, the vid card was pretty warm, but nothing else seemed out there. Did I fry the PSU or the MoBo? If it is the Mobo, does that fry the processor too? I don't know how to tell if something is fried or not, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

I hope so. It's kind of an old one, and I've been putting off getting a new one cause this one has been fine. Is there anyway to check for sure?

Best way to tell is by swapping parts with another computer(s) if you have any available.

If it is the Mobo, does that fry the processor too?

Its possible. Its also possible that your ram could be boned too. Best thing to do is swap one thing at a time, starting with the most likely issue, the PSU as others have said.

power supply I bet

This ^

Happened to me last year, blew the power supply, same thing was happening. Be sure to check or get someone to check the rest of your components, my incident has ****ed up my ram.

last time my PSU blew it fried both my HDD's I hope this didn't happen in your case cow.

ah man, this makes me more depressed. I have access to another PSU that i'm gonna try out tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it. I don't have the money to replace a bunch of parts right now

If it came back on for a moment and then died again you might want to check your fan. Make sure it's not just a simple case of the internal fan being clogged full of shit / broken and your comp shutting down in fail-safe to avoid overheating before you go replacing any parts.

Not being funny here and I know it sounds facepalm worthy but you wouldn't believe the amount of times I've "fixed" people's laptops and PCs by simply cleaning their insides out because they've gone straight into looking at more complex technical faults and failures.

ah man, this makes me more depressed. I have access to another PSU that i'm gonna try out tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it. I don't have the money to replace a bunch of parts right now

If that'll make you feel better, I've had two PSUs die and neither damaged anything else.

If it came back on for a moment and then died again you might want to check your fan. Make sure it's not just a simple case of the internal fan being clogged full of shit / broken and your comp shutting down in fail-safe to avoid overheating before you go replacing any parts.

Not being funny here and I know it sounds facepalm worthy but you wouldn't believe the amount of times I've "fixed" people's laptops and PCs by simply cleaning their insides out because they've gone straight into looking at more complex technical faults and failures.

Yeah, I tried that. No power is coming thru, it doesn't do anything.

If that'll make you feel better, I've had two PSUs die and neither damaged anything else.

That does help haha. I'm hoping with all hope that that is the case.

Haha, power supply then. I've had 2 die on me. :|

Haha k. I'm gonna try my buddies today, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully nothing else got fried *crosses fingers*

Awesome, awesome! So I hooked up my buddies PSU and everything works like a champ! So far, it doesn't look like I have any problems.

So, as for a new PSU, I'm thinking I want to get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Is 650w enough for what I have? Or should I go up to something more like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=Corsair-_-17-139-006-_-Product

I have heard that 650w is generally plenty, but as I have my processor OC'd to 3.0ghz would I need more?

I have that 650. It roxorsoxorz. I use it on almost the same exact system as you except for a Phenom 2 X4 CPU and obviously a different mobo.

Awesome. Yeah, I've heard really good things about that PSU, and for the price, I can't really complain either.

Back