PC will not turn on, turns off after 1 sec HELP :(

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Now my computer wont even turn on, jeez what a shitty week and a half. Oh well... I tweaked some bios / video card settings and now my computer does absolutely nothing when I press the power button. Godamnit, I even tried resetting cmos and everything. The PSU is new the hardware was in good shape. Now it wont stay on for more than .5 seconds without shutting itself off. I'm at school posting this wishing I was home trying to fix my pc. Argh.

amd 3500+
socket 939 abit agp mobo
2x 74gb raptors in sata raid0
6800LE

I was useing rivatune to unlock the extra pixel pipelines in my 6800LE, upon restarting I realized system instability and windows was no longer loading. I figured i'd just start in safe mode and tweak some bios settings and i'd be up and running again.. bad mistake. After restoring bios defaults for fear of further messing up my system I realized the computer would no longer boot regaurdless, even after several restarts. I waited for awhile as it attempted booting to see if windows would finally start after a delay but the computer began to beep loudly and the power LED's blinked on and off. The comp had completely crashed and was failing to respond. I turned it off by holding down the power button on my case. Now to my horror the computer will no longer turn on at all, when I change around the cmos I can get the computer to stay on for a matter of .5 seconds before it simply shuts down by itself.

Again I highly doubt it's my PSU, it's brand new 500+ watt that i've hardly stressed at all, and I can get momentary power after resetting cmos (for about 1 second) not enough for the monitor to display anything. But I can no longer use my home pc. Any suggestions? Anything to try that I haven't already tried?

Check to make sure you have both power cords plugged into the mobo.

After that un plug everything you can to make sure nothing is interfering with it booting up. Oh also check the volt selecter on the back of oyur PSU and make sure it is correct.

Glirk Dient said:
Check to make sure you have both power cords plugged into the mobo.

After that un plug everything you can to make sure nothing is interfering with it booting up. Oh also check the volt selecter on the back of oyur PSU and make sure it is correct.

I plan to unplug everything and replug it when I get home, but I know the PSU settings are ok I triple checked them. The LED display on my mobo does look slightly different, but i'm not sure what it reads when it's healthy and my parents threw away the manual.

SATA has given me trouble in the past as my mobo's bios does not have the drivers for it by default, I have to slipstream them through a floppy disk.

I must have totally f'd someting up in bios or with rivatune...

sounds like what My comp did when my mobo got fried. It would turn on for at count of 1...2....3...then turn off. Could never get it further then that...then I got a new mobo, but then it didn't ground right and blew my psu, and the next one I got until I figured out something was messing up the flow of electricity. Got it right on my 3rd psu purchase...i'm a dumbass! lol

Could be HD failure or maybe your power supply is busted. This used to happen to my comp, so I changed both and it sorted the problem. I thought it was my graphics card at first, but that seems ok now.

HD won't be busted...comp would boot past BIOS and say disk read error.

You might have fried something or something came loose...could be many things but be as sure as you can that something is fried before you go and buy. Nothing sucks worse than buying a part, waiting a few weeks only to find out that wasnn't the problem

Perhaps your video card is overheating? Try taking it out and booting up.

babyheadcrab said:
Now my computer wont even turn on, jeez what a shitty week and a half. Oh well... I tweaked some bios / video card settings and now my computer does absolutely nothing when I press the power button. Godamnit, I even tried resetting cmos and everything. The PSU is new the hardware was in good shape. Now it wont stay on for more than .5 seconds without shutting itself off. I'm at school posting this wishing I was home trying to fix my pc. Argh.

amd 3500+
socket 939 abit agp mobo
2x 74gb raptors in sata raid0
6800LE

I was useing rivatune to unlock the extra pixel pipelines in my 6800LE, upon restarting I realized system instability and windows was no longer loading. I figured i'd just start in safe mode and tweak some bios settings and i'd be up and running again.. bad mistake. After restoring bios defaults for fear of further messing up my system I realized the computer would no longer boot regaurdless, even after several restarts. I waited for awhile as it attempted booting to see if windows would finally start after a delay but the computer began to beep loudly and the power LED's blinked on and off. The comp had completely crashed and was failing to respond. I turned it off by holding down the power button on my case. Now to my horror the computer will no longer turn on at all, when I change around the cmos I can get the computer to stay on for a matter of .5 seconds before it simply shuts down by itself.

Again I highly doubt it's my PSU, it's brand new 500+ watt that i've hardly stressed at all, and I can get momentary power after resetting cmos (for about 1 second) not enough for the monitor to display anything. But I can no longer use my home pc. Any suggestions? Anything to try that I haven't already tried?

OK. Get the Motherboard manual. Look for the error beeps in the Manual. Find out what's wrong and post it here.

Take the graphics card out and see if it starts up.(You wont see anything obviously)

Take out the power cable from the back of your PSU and hold down the power button on the front of your case for 30 seconds. Nothing will happen, but reconnect the power cable and see if it now turns on normally.

Take out your CMOS battery and leave it out and unplugged for over an hour to see if it makes a difference.

Do you have on-board graphics on your motherboard? If so, take out your AGP card and try your monitor plugged into the on-board and then let us know if you see anything at all in this 5 seconds.

Try new RAM or try your RAM in different slots if possible.

Do you have any damage to any front USB ports that may be causing a short circuit? The damage may not even be visible, but try disconnecting the front ports anyway to see if this helps.

Disconnect absolutely everything from your motherboard. Only reconnect the power to the motherboard, the power switch (and LEDs might help), the CPU fan, RAM, CPU and reset the CMOS again for good measure. This will also mean disconnecting even the most trivial things like your PCI wi-fi card or front audio ports from the motherboard. Don't even connect any drives. Just have a very core system. (If you don't have on board graphics, you may need to have your AGP card connected). If it boots up, one component at a time reconnect things back up and test it after each one. Keep doing this until you find the component/s that are causing you trouble.

If it still doesn't boot up, by process of elimination you're first of all looking at testing the system with a cheap power supply to see if you can get past POST, and therefore fix it with a new PSU, or an entirely new motherboard.

Back