Competetive Community (long read)

Hudson

Reaction score
Thought I'd let you guys know about the competitive DoD community, if you don't all ready. First my names Hudson and I've been reading and posting since early last summer when I first found out about halflife2 and the halflife2.net forums. I've been playing DoD since 1.3, and playing competitive DoD in CAL since 3.1b.

For those that don't know, DoD matches are scrims are played 6v6, with class limits. The most popular clan maps are dod_anzio, dod_harrington, dod_railroad, and dod_railroad2_b2, because these tend to be thought of as maps that can accurately show the teams skill, and now how much they camp and bait each other. More info about the competitive DoD community can be found at www.caleague.com and www.gotfrag.com

The community is mostly forum and IRC based, although there have been several DoD LANs in SoCAL, NY, and Atlanta, these have been small and run by the community. DoD just recently got a spot in the BYOC at the CPL (www.thecpl.com) where there will be a $10,000 tournament. If we can field 24 teams, we get a spot in the main area in the summer, and a $50,000 dollar tournament. Even if you are just a casual player, if you want to make the effort I suggest you and a few friends make a LAN team and sign up for the CPL, we need all the teams we can get.

Anyway, at www.gotfrag.com/dod , you can find articles and predictions about the week’s upcoming CAL matches (www.caleague.com) and at www.dodsource.com you can find an alternative to GotFrag that covers more leagues, but is less official. Most importantly at gotfrag, there is the forums. Forums have been the heart of the DoD community for as long as it has existed (dodmod.com, sta forums, 1911, and now gotfrag). This is where the North American DoD community converges to discuss pretty much everything (the European community is located at www.twrgaming.co.uk). Here are some of the best players in the game, and have usually been playing the game the longest. There have been several threads as of late about the recent DoD:Source screenshots, and predictions about what will happen to DoD.

If you are a huge Valve fanboy, you probably shouldn’t get too worked up while reading the forums, because you will find a lot of flames. This is mostly because the community at large feels that the 1.0 valve release of DoD was the worst change possible for the game. When 1.0 was released, most of the CAL-Invite teams disbanded and a good number of the players left DoD, because they didn't like the direction the game was taking. The game in my opinion is good enough now, although there are still some major registration issues, and hopefully these will be fixed (along with the MP44, which is inferior to the BAR in 1.3) with the release of DoD source.

Well, that was my giant rambling post. Maybe this will get a few of you more interested in DoD. Come support your game :)

1.3? Which version with that? I can't remember what version I used to play but I do remember playing it when it was still beta and there was the map snowtown. MmmmMMmmmM snowtown.

1.3 is the one we all love adore and play now, am i correct?

DoD BETA 1.3 is the version with snowtown, from years ago :eek:

The current version i guess you could call retail 1.3

Hudson said:
DoD BETA 1.3 is the version with snowtown, from years ago :eek:

The current version i guess you could call retail 1.3
I miss snowtown! I loved that map, it was allways raining grenades.

1.3b, where the men were seperated from the boys by how fast you could instaprone :D

LOL ;D

I loved hill.. Just being in that invincable gun turret made me feel...sooo....uber.

Back