Computer Upgrades - Your advice/tips.

Reaction score
My computer currently:
GeForce4 MX 440 Graphics Card (on a PCI bus, don't know if there is an AGP)
254 MB RAM
Intel Premium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz

Upgrades:
184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-2100(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-173&depa=1)

Jaton nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express(http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-139-170&depa=0)

Do you all think these upgrades are good, will they last me, and are they compatible?
How hard is it to install these yourself if you have no experience with computers?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm a hardware n00b and I really don't want to get ripped off by sending my computer to a shop.

The ram is compatible, but the video card is not since it is PCI-X.

As they said, its not compatible - PCI express is the next level up from PCI. You will need a new motherboard for that, which also means a new processor.

where the geforce card is it placed in a brown slot or white than that will solve ur problem

Ok, one last (stupid) question. Would the same card (6600 GT) made by a different manufacturer sound quiter, be more durable, etc. Is there an advantage over say the Jaton card be any worse/better than the Chain tech card?

Hey let us know how it goes ok . ohh IBUYPOWER.COM is a real good place to buy i ordered my pc from them and they were great!

BaconIsGood4You said:
Ok, one last (stupid) question. Would the same card (6600 GT) made by a different manufacturer sound quiter, be more durable, etc. Is there an advantage over say the Jaton card be any worse/better than the Chain tech card?
Not really, card specs are generally very similar, expensive brands often have
-more warranty
-more cables/games
-slightly better performance (very slight)

Brands like asus will have cards that are clocked lower than standard though. These cards are both for the most part the same, chaintech one has more cables - HDTV Cable, Power Cable and looks like it has the game Painkiller over some nascar game for Jaton. Not sure about warranty.

Personally I would buy chaintech for $5 extra.

Btw, you said you will be getting PC2100 RAM, but that is kind of slow. I'm not sure about your mother board or anything, so maybe that's all it can handle, but I would recommend something like PC3200, if that would be compatible. I assume you are upgrading in order to play games like half-life2. In that case you should also probably get 1GB of RAM. You could start with just 512MB if you like, and just get second module later on, perhaps

Alan Freeman said:
Hey let us know how it goes ok . ohh IBUYPOWER.COM is a real good place to buy i ordered my pc from them and they were great!

Will do! And I'm just upgrading now, but when I get a new computer I'll check it out (and not get Gateway again >.<)

nutcrackr said:
Not really, card specs are generally very similar, expensive brands often have
-more warranty
-more cables/games
-slightly better performance (very slight)

Brands like asus will have cards that are clocked lower than standard though. These cards are both for the most part the same, chaintech one has more cables - HDTV Cable, Power Cable and looks like it has the game Painkiller over some nascar game for Jaton. Not sure about warranty.

Personally I would buy chaintech for $5 extra.

Ah, I see. Thanks for answering my question, and I'm gonna' go with the chaintech.

Muhahahaha said:
Btw, you said you will be getting PC2100 RAM, but that is kind of slow. I'm not sure about your mother board or anything, so maybe that's all it can handle, but I would recommend something like PC3200, if that would be compatible. I assume you are upgrading in order to play games like half-life2. In that case you should also probably get 1GB of RAM. You could start with just 512MB if you like, and just get second module later on, perhaps

Thanks for warning me, but my computer can only have PC2100, and I am a limited budget (although I know 1GB is a better deal). Thanks for responding.

Back