Computer

CookieCuttah

Reaction score
Hello, I have an idea what computer I am going to buy... But I need your opinions on what.
My budget is 2000$ ((Monitor included))
So if you could reccomend me the best build for gaming ((Video cards, ram brand etc etc..)) I would be very glad.

you got 2 grand? you don't need any advice- just go on a newegg shopping spree.

but i highly recommend a geforce 6800gt vid card

lol, you could easily waste 2 grand if you had no clue what you're doing.

Anyways, look at the sticky threads (hardware and software)

Well, if you have 2000$ and don't want to build your own (Although buying the components seperately and building it yourself is often quite cheaper) there's always a nice Alienware rig to buy.

I reccomend the x800xt as opposed to nvidia, only because I've heard lots of complaints about the 6800gt not being compatible with HL2 (Don't know the extent of what that is though).

RAM, just get a gig of it. Make sure it's DDR.
Proccessor, make sure it's at least above 2 ghz

If you are buying the components seperately, MAKE SURE THEY ARE COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER!!!

Im resummoning this thread because. Anyhow, I have a 17 inch CRT sony multiscan. It's quite old but it can go up to 87 hz at 1200x1600 and 106 at 1280x1080 ((Pretty good?)). So maybe I shouldn't buy a new monitor? ((I am not gonna bother with an alienware, I want to get the experience of building my own)). Though one more thing, could I say buy one of those PCI-E mobos and put in 2 XT800's? Reccomendations?

I'm about to build a computer soon too, but I really have no idea how many components i need and how to make sure they're compatible with each other, oh and I have little experience building computers, so im kinda stomped in that area too. Are there any websites which would inform me on how to do these tasks? I'm only 15 =/

if i had 2 grand (£s but pretent its also $s) this is what i would consider:
go for AMD 64bit 90nm or Intel P4 Extreme
some ASUS with i875 chipset, hear good things about them
Corsair memory, 1 gig of it. i hear 2 gigs can reduce performance on hl2
something like the XMS3200XL range

Radeon X800XT 256
Pesmerga said:
I reccomend the x800xt as opposed to nvidia, only because I've heard lots of complaints about the 6800gt not being compatible with HL2 (Don't know the extent of what that is though).
yeah i think thats cuz to render water or something, hl2 wants 24bit something, i dont quite get it and nVidia only got 16max atm or something, i dont really understand.
where was i, oh yes
WATERCOOLING! but start with a nice HS/F to begin with, coolermaster or so, or even start with the retail fan, the specs ul get wont want overclocking just yet

im thinking AGP still btw, might wanna look into pci-express to help futureproof

a Western Digital Raptor, they are really fast, though not very big in storage, so u might also/instead get a Maxtor diamandmax 10 or so (S-ATA of course)

a decent case of course, with good airflow, saw in PCZone mag some decent thermaltake case.

not really too much for a CD-RW drive and DVD-ROM, just get them OEM, personally spendin too much on them is not too muc hwroth it, i got a Sony CD-R and Samsung DVD (read only)

i think im blabbing on now
im still gonna stick with CRT with high refresh and res, 17" min. i no they take more room but they are alot cheaper, so theres still alot of funds for other things, like Logitech mouse and keyboard, decent speakers /headphones (currently i got hte Medusa Speedlinks 5.1 with mic)

im just yappin on pointlessly, and its probably not worth reading the above. but before anyone flames this is what i would buy with 2 grand.

do they still do non-DDR RAM? must be gettin rare

and if u got a list of components in your shoppin basket and got doubts, just post them and well see if they are compatible and give our advice

For 2000 US$ I'd get a:
Motherboard: Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
RAM: 1 gig of Corsair TWINX
Videocard: Ati X850 XT (or twin X800's if you can afford it)

I have no experience with TFT-monitors so I can't help you with that.

CookieCuttah said:
So what would be better, twin 800's or an XT850?

I just found out that you can't put two Ati-cards in a computer yet. There are no motherboards available for that. So I just edited that option out. An Ati X850 XT it is then (if you'd ask me).

Syn^opsIs said:
I'm about to build a computer soon too, but I really have no idea how many components i need and how to make sure they're compatible with each other, oh and I have little experience building computers, so im kinda stomped in that area too. Are there any websites which would inform me on how to do these tasks? I'm only 15 =/

I don't know about any sites but keep this in mind:
- The processor should be compatible with the motherboard. Don't buy a Pentium motherboard if you're planning on buying an AMD Athlon 64
- RAM should be compatible to your motherboard too.
- Think hard about if you want PCI Express or AGP. Especially if you're planning on upgrading your rig down the line.

Asus A8N motherboards are used alot by quite a few players & are very reliable. I have a Dragon Soyo KT400 motherboard, & it works well too, but I wouldn't exactly recommend to everyone I know.

Alright- Here is my list of things. Tell me if they are compatible, and what else do I need.

Thermaltake SHARK Black ATX Full Tower Case, Model "VA7000BWA" -RETAIL

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black, Model ND-3520A BK, OEM

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only

CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Heat Spreader, Model TWINX1024-3200XL - Retail

GIGABYTE "GA-K8NU-SLI" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3800+, Socket 939, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - OEM

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM

XT850 Platinum ((Will be avalible Febuary 18 so I am waiting for that))

What ya think?

Pesmerga said:
Well, if you have 2000$ and don't want to build your own (Although buying the components seperately and building it yourself is often quite cheaper) there's always a nice Alienware rig to buy.

RAM, just get a gig of it. Make sure it's DDR.
Proccessor, make sure it's at least above 2 ghz

If you are buying the components seperately, MAKE SURE THEY ARE COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER!!!

You're not getting even remotely worth your money with Alienware. A semi-decent system at best.

Why the SLI mobo? It's useless for you.
Secondly, get yourself a good power supply. Antec, Vantec, Enermax, Zalman, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling.

I would really get a nvidia card they are way better then ati in many ways

You can check out my thread.

I had about the same budget, and it cost about $1400 for the tower.

You would have to get a DVD player, monitor, floppy drive, keyboard mouse and speakers. With $600 extra it could easily be done.

I went with the NF4 mobo because it will support SATA 300 when they start making those hard drives, so I think an SLI board with an ATI card would be worth it for the time being.

I also read reviews about the X800 XL, it's performance is somwhere between the X800 pro and the X800 XT. It seems that the difference between the X800 XL and the X850 isn't visible. If you're a number guy, thats cool too I guess.

In most reviews the X800 XL outperforms the 6800 gt in many games, HL2 being one, the 6800gt won in Doom 3, but who plays that anymore?

I would rather buy a ATI, every Nvidia card I had eventually didn't work on some game I really liked. ((Never happened with a Radeon)). Ah, and I will look into the X800 XL. Though I might instead buy a XT.

Back