concept for possible model I am going to start.

I will get all the views down before I start. Also I am going to make it one of my projects in class, so I will have some guidance by my teacher.

If you pull that one off, it will be very good. Apart from the standard walking, running, turning, standing, what are you thinking of animation wise?

Also what are you planning to use? For that matter what is everyone planning to use to model for HL2? I mean apart from IXS (where's the fun in paying?) 3D studio Max had a hefty price tag, and I've been told it was, frankly, crap for HL1. But I have to say that I'm not totally convinced Milkshape is up to the challange of HL2.

Originally posted by Andy
If you pull that one off, it will be very good. Apart from the standard walking, running, turning, standing, what are you thinking of animation wise?

Also what are you planning to use? For that matter what is everyone planning to use to model for HL2? I mean apart from IXS (where's the fun in paying?) 3D studio Max had a hefty price tag, and I've been told it was, frankly, crap for HL1. But I have to say that I'm not totally convinced Milkshape is up to the challange of HL2.

Well at school I will be using 3d max 5 and I will use a friends copy until I can get my company to pay for my own(wont take long).

Well the character is a alien/ human cross breed. So all of those basic animations will be greatly inhanced. But I really want to incorperate some stealth kills too. Not to mention his Ability to manipulate energy and move objects with his mind( kinda like the force in Jedi outcast but more controlled).

This is a third person prodject so I will need to code a new cammera.

Its more or less a portfolio piece.

It will also give a me a chance at animating sword play, wich I intend to use on another project that I might work on.

Originally posted by Yakuza
...all of those basic animations will be greatly inhanced. But I really want to incorperate some stealth kills too. Not to mention his Ability to manipulate energy and move objects with his mind( kinda like the force in Jedi outcast but more controlled).

This is a third person prodject so I will need to code a new cammera.

Fair play mate, but Christ ... good luck.

I'm currently using a few different programs, depending on what task I'm doing. I've been using 3DS Max v4 for real high polycount stuff that I've been trying to optimize the polycounts down to a game friendly level with minimal distortion (usualy still requires alot of manual vertex work though). I've been using milkshape alot when working with individual vertex manipulation.
In the case of milkshape the main benefit I get is that it runs ALOT faster than Max on My system. When I'm changing views, rotating and scaling things, and selecting,moving, snapping together, and welding vertexes together. It lets me select and hide groups quickly, etc... Some of milkshapes problems that bug me are in the 3D window. It distorts the object somewhat. Also I wish there were better deformation tools(nurbs would be great).

Of course this is just for meshbuilding, animation is an unknown right now, as is texturing. I figure XSI is what I'll probably be using to skin and animate all the models. If thats what valve is using then thats probably going to be the first one to have the right plugins(unless HL2 uses native XSI models, which would be awesome!). Right now I'm not using XSI on My system since I have WIN98-SE. I plan to do a motherboard/ram/video card upgrade in september then I'll install XP and XSI.

The Punisher

Back