confusion!?

M

Mr.SqueeZ

I am a n00b when it about prosessors, motherboards and stuff, so i need some help :bounce: i have a asus a7v333 motherboard, a amd athlon 1800+ prosessor, gforce ti 4600 pro and 512ddr ram. i was thinking to upgrade my motherboard and prosessor. do i need 2 upgrade more of my pc? And another problem, hvat the hell is all these sockets? socket a, socket 775? i dont know what the differense is! :rolling: but i think my prosessor and my motherboard is socket A. if i have a socket A prosessor, can i then have a another socket on my motherboard? im confused!! its the first time i upgrade, so i am a little n00b:p I must have a good computer 2 play cs:s and HL2 :cheese: :thumbs: (and sorry for my poor english :E )

Processor and mobo would prolly be the best right now.

Basically, as long as the cpu and mobo have the same socket you'll be fine. The socket is just how the pins on the cpu interface with the motherboard.

Your next upgrade should be more ram and eventually a new video card.

Hope I was of some help. :D

What if he wants to talk in english? jk

The socket must match on both the CPU and Motherboard.
A square brick can't fit in a triangle hole. ;)

The simplest update would be to update the CPU to another Socket A CPU. You would have to check what your board is compatible up to. Link
Up to a Athlon XP 2400+ (Thoroughbred) with board revision 1.01.
Athlon XP 3000+ with revision 2 and a current bios (1016). May need to update the bios for that.
Otherwise you would have to replace the board and CPU, if your board didn't support that high of a Socket A (Athlon XP) CPU or you wanted a different CPU.

If you have PC2700 then you can afford to reuse the memory unless you want top performance. This is for if you have PC2100, which you probably have. If you simply update to a midrange Athlon XP, it won't make a huge difference. If you update to a faster Athlon XP or a different CPU/Socket then you will want to update the memory to PC3200 as money allows.
At least 512MB is highly recommended. 1GB is a bonus which does help in newer games.
I would aim for at least a 2.5GHz/2500+ CPU to be a worth while upgrade. After that, the gaming experience will be dependant apon your graphics card to pull your system through the games.

Back