CPU or GPU possibly crapping out...

Reaction score
So here's my issue: Just recently (about 2 months ago) my system started acting up. The most noticeable thing being that when I re-size windows by dragging the corner it's annoyingly laggy. Rather than "flowingly" re-sizing, it definitely "jumps" around more than it should in such a basic operation. Also my fps in games, even HL2: Lost Coast, are pathetic in certain instances where they drop down to 30fps (1680x1050 4xAA 8xAF) Am I wrong to think that shouldn't happen with my specs?
What I've done so far: Cleaned out previous video card driver by uninstalling then using driver sweeper, then installed the previous driver released. I then updated my Mobo Bios to the most current one. Also tried Defraging previously. All with no desirable results. I reformatted my HDD about a week ago; however it was happening before the reformat too.
I called EVGA my graphics card brand and got some technical support but there's nothing they told me that I didn't already do. And my issue is I don't want to send in my card under warranty unless I'm positive that's the problem and it's not my CPU. So currently I'm going to be running a 3dmark06 test to see if my results are comparable to others with the same specs as me and hopefully see where the problem lies.
What in your peoples experience have you found to be the cause of these sort of issue's because if all else fails I'm just going to be sending in my components one by one maybe unnecessarily if it's something as simple as a software issue. Thanks.
:cheers:

A simple command like dragging a windows to fit desktop is usually pretty minor for a VC, and that doesn't necessarily mean that your VC is going bad; you can usually tell VC is going bad by random game and system crashes, unusual noises and appearance.
I would throw in my two cent opinion and say: Check your system resource, clean system by way of hardware and software, check for Virus, Trojan, Malware and Spyware.

Good Luck.

My first thought would be that something else is running that is taking away system time. Like Barney suggested by checking system resources etc.
The next thing I would check probably is my hard drive since a delayed response from that to (background) program can make the CPU wait or system lag like that.

You are not running FAH anymore right? The GPU client might be able to do that lag even if they have improved it a lot. I know the first generation did if you didn't have enough memory on your video card (128).

A simple command like dragging a windows to fit desktop is usually pretty minor for a VC, and that doesn't necessarily mean that your VC is going bad; you can usually tell VC is going bad by random game and system crashes, unusual noises and appearance.
I would throw in my two cent opinion and say: Check your system resource, clean system by way of hardware and software, check for Virus, Trojan, Malware and Spyware.

Good Luck.

Good suggestions Barney Fife.

I'd also advise you to of course make sure that you don't have any dust bunnies living inside your tower, as you are well aware that excessive heat buildup can kill your performance dang near instantly. What are your system temps? Silly to mention I know, but make sure the fan on both the CPU's & GPU's heatsink is spinning. Have you checked your RAM? Perhaps a strip is bad. Either run a test or remove each strip & test that way.

-MRG

Thanks for all the suggestions. So I finished running the 3dmark06 and vantage tests, this is what I got; 3dmark06 score:11151 SM2:5234 SM3:5513 CPU:2273 Vantage: Score: P7020 CPU Score: 25437 GPU Score: 5655
So according to my comparisons to Toms Hardware benchmarks I'm in the acceptable range as far as 3dmark06 goes, but my vantage stats for some reason seems really messed up. I'm going to retest to see if there's a mistake.
But overall I'm pretty convinced you guys were right in thinking it's not a hardware problem but rather something to do with software, I'm going to run spybot and adaware and hopefully get the issue resolved. Thanks again for the suggestions.
*Also just to let you all know I'm running vista ultimate 64bit, has vista been known to cause issue's of slowdown? I just hope I didn't drop 3 Benjamins for problems...*

Update: One thing I forgot to mention is that when dragging the corner of a window and when I monitor the cpu usage in task manager I see about 65% cpu usage while constantly dragging.

Good suggestions Barney Fife.

I'd also advise you to of course make sure that you don't have any dust bunnies living inside your tower, as you are well aware that excessive heat buildup can kill your performance dang near instantly.-MRG

does dust really kill your performance like that? i havent dusted in years :|

does dust really kill your performance like that? i havent dusted in years :|

Absolutely, dust conducts heat and restricts airflow. and an overheated chip will under-perform. You should always clean your system periodically.

Update: One thing I forgot to mention is that when dragging the corner of a window and when I monitor the cpu usage in task manager I see about 65% cpu usage while constantly dragging.

I would check to see what process is eating up all that percentage and end it. Just make sure that its not something important that you are ending.

Back