Crazy!!! I Got My NVidia FX to run HL2 in DX 9!!!

K

kamikaze_789

i have only been able to run hl2 in dx8 with my card, and i discovered a problem caused in WINDOWS, not half-life that was messing it up. here's what i have:

-Gainward NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (non-ultra) 4X AGP, w/ 128 MB DDR VRAM
-AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Processor
-512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
-60GB Hitachi Deskstar HD (running UDMA 5)
-MSI K7T266 PRO 1.0 Mainboard

up until now, i really wasn't satisfied at all with how hl2 was running on my system. and i almost listened to all of the bashers bitchin' about how valve messed up the performance of the nvidia cards. i almost got a radeon card, but then i found an article about VIA chipsets and windows xp service pack 2. it said that the via drivers were horrible with the IDE and PCI controllers, and there was a DRAMATIC difference by just using the generic windows drivers.

it suggested going to device manager and then in system devices, clicking on "update drivers" on all devices starting with VIA. select install from specific location, and then on "don't choose. i will pick a driver to install". then here's what i changed to what: (these drivers are listed under compatible devices, too.)

via pci to isa bridge - pci standard isa bridge
via cpu to pci bridge - pci standard host cpu bridge
via cpu to agp controller - pci standard pci-to-pci bridge

its crazy...all of a sudden half-life 2 started running in dx9 all by itself, and i can run at 800x600 with everything set to max except reflections and anti-aliasing, which i never turn on. aniso is at 8x, though. its damn amazing, though. i run better fps than i did at dx8 with eveything set to medium.

when i go into the nvidia control panel, i'm still able to set the same overclocks. the only odd thing is that it says that its running in PCI mode instead of agp4x. but i know its faster now...its about 35% faster in my benchmarking program.

its insane, though. just thought i'd share...any thoughts?

cool i want to do that on my 5700le i can only have 2 med and 2 high

Dasparov said:
whats the fps? also pics :D

how do i get pics on here?.....i have plenty of screenshots now that the game is pure eye candy:). as for fps, its decent...keep in mind my older hardware:). i get around 50-75 fps. it will still catch the occasional hiccup, and the water slows it down sometimes. i think that's because of my nvidia forceware, though. i'm just using 67.02 beta forceware...its weird, cuz it actually made the water lag worse than the whql ones seemed to, but oh well:).

ok, i uploaded some pics to my tripod server that's still active i guess:). oh well, i'm no complaining:). i got a little carried away when i found out that the crossbow can impale things and stick them to the wall:), as you'll notice in this first pic:). here's what i got:

d3_c17_110008.jpg

d1_trainstation_050003.jpg

d3_c17_050000.jpg

d3_c17_06a0004.jpg

d3_c17_080004.jpg

d3_c17_080005.jpg

d3_c17_090011.jpg

d3_citadel_050010.jpg

d1_town_010002.jpg

d1_trainstation_040000.jpg

d3_c17_10a0000.jpg

d3_c17_120013.jpg

f u ( l{ !!! sorry. you gotta put sierravistainternet.trip0d.com. apparently i can't post their images. (change the 0 to o). i'll post again when i find a different server. sorry guys.

if ur wanting to post images, just use www.imageshack.us

its free, and it'll give u a url that always works to copy and paste :thumbs:

if ur wanting to post images, just use www.imageshack.us

its free, and it'll give u a url that always works to copy and paste :thumbs:

nice graphics tho

ok, here goes nothing:) make sure to check out the one w/ the glass door. i was thoroughly impressed with those kinda little extras that dx9 adds:)

yay! here are the rest: make sure to check out the third one across the top row (below). i got carried away w/ the bowgun:)

Back