Critical hit system

Iron_cube

Reaction score
I noticed people barely talked about that feature.

Ever heard a zapping sound sometimes when using any weapon? Thats how you recognize these.

In my opinion, its absolutely briliant and makes the fighting less generic as you can defeat an opponent you thought you had absolutely no chance against.

(critical rocket hitting a scout is absolutely hilarious, as you simply hear a nice pop sound :LOL:)

Opinions?

How does it work? It's very useful, but I don't know how it works at all D:

Headshots are considered critical... correct me if I'm wrong. It's no different than any other game with target damage.

I thought there was no headshot crits, only for the sniper (might be getting confused with fortress forever, not sure D: )

It's a random-ish chance influenced by your per-life performance.

The more kills or damage or whatever you inflict without dying, the higher your chance of firing a 'critical shot'. (Regardless of whether or not that shot actually hits something.)

We can't tell you more than that. VALVe haven't given us the formulas. ;o

Basically, the chance of firing a critical shot is dependent on how well you're playing your class. The better you do the more criticals you get. Dieing resets it though.

Also, if you win a round, you get rewarded by being able to still fire your weapons and all your shots are critical killing most opponents in one hit. It's the ultimate reward .

Yeah, the enemies get stripped from their weapons when they lose, its so fun chasing them with melee.

I think the best set of critical hits I had was when I was a Scout on 2fort, and a heavy came at me. I had just finished firing all of my shotgun rounds and figured I'd try to do as much damage as possible before dying or retreating. I switched to my pistol, aimed high, and just unloaded, and every nearly every shot I saw "Critical hit!" I actually took him down, and believe me, it was glorious.

I think the best set of critical hits I had was when I was a Scout on 2fort, and a heavy came at me. I had just finished firing all of my shotgun rounds and figured I'd try to do as much damage as possible before dying or retreating. I switched to my pistol, aimed high, and just unloaded, and every nearly every shot I saw "Critical hit!" I actually took him down, and believe me, it was glorious.

I got a similar thing with a barrage of syringes into the top of a heavy's head.

There's nothing like crushing a heavy as a medic for an ego boost

I love it! Seriously its like random quad damage its great. Makes for those really crazy moments.

Went soldier for the first time in a long time after hearing about this, got a few friends together and I had over a 12 k/d and it seemed 1/4 shots was a critical hit.. D:

Was pretty nice, they were rushing on dustbowl and I nailed 4(!) criticals in a row on my rockets :)

I love being a heavy, and the crits start up, start seeing the greens everywhere....seeing people just DROP. Great fun.

I noticed this yesterday.

Heavy critical % rate needs to be lowered. Its just too insane.

I ran round a corner with 15 hp, and met a Scout, Pyro and Engineer, I launched one rocket and it glowed blue! all 3 turned to tomato paste and i was to busy laughing to see the spy stabbing me in the back. ><

First time I have seen crits in an FPS and yet it makes perfect sense. :D

I guess I'm the only person who hates them, then?

The game should be about skill, not some random chance of getting super-high damage for a shot (or giving more of them to people already doing well)

I didn't think the game was an mmo :(

Eh, I don't see TOO big of a problem with them. It helps to turn the battle in your favor every now and then.

The game should be about skill, not some random chance of getting super-high damage for a shot (or giving more of them to people already doing well)

TF2 is about fun.

Valve evolved from the generic "Get the most kills" games.

They want everyone to simply have fun.

TF2 is about fun.

Valve evolved from the generic "Get the most kills" games.

They want everyone to simply have fun.

Exactly. I've got enough skill based games thanks and after a while they get tedious and frustrating - at last, just a game to play with pure fun in mind. :bounce:

I still get frustrated from the crashes.

It usually happens minutes after Ive done really good GOD DAMN.

I was leading on that 32-player server, argh.

I like it. I like it alot. It makes playing better obviously rewarding, helps new people defeat old hands now and again, etc...

I love fighting soldiers and demo's that much more because of it. It's awesome to just sidestep their big shiny crits and then throw your own (or a normal attack) at em that gets the kill.

I guess I'm the only person who hates them, then?

I didn't think the game was an mmo :(

Why? That critical rocket still needs to hit someone, so how exactly does this throw skill out of the window?

And giving more of them to good people is a great idea, it gives these insane killing sprees that would otherwise be impossible. In what other game is it possible to get a 10-15 kill spree? Not to mention the tonnes of anecdotes this gives about you surviving impossible odds. TF2 is entirely tailored towards fun, being good is rewarded to avoid boring stalemates and end games that are likely to be lost as quickly as possible.

I can understand the "skill" argument, coming from the competitive CS:S scene myself. Maybe a cvar is in order to toggle this on and off? I personally enjoy it, but I play strictly for leisure. I know if I was playing a CS:S math and some dude shot me with a glock two times and I dropped because they were critical hits I'd be pissed.

But the thing is - you know that the next time you spawn, you'll just try and pwn whoever just killed you. The nemsis system ties into that... It slowly just becomes about fun, even the frustrating bits.

Come on - you have to find it funny to see a marker of "this is a bit of you" when you're dead. In a few seconds you just laugh and play on.

I found out that you get higher chances of critical hits if youre way behind the team in scores, or if you just joined the game.

I wonder if the "just joined the game" crit chance is greater than the skill bonus over time - if you just kept on rejoining the game over and over (which would be incredibly lame but I can see a few people doing it)

I walked straight into a sniper yesterday, and bathed him in critical flames. Instant chargrill.

I enjoy criticals, but I'm more interested in fun than hardcore skill

Back