CS 1.6 please come in your time is up...

C

Cobblers

Sorry for speaking out of turn here, but why are all the CS v1.6 players complaining to Valve about a game that has now been superseeded?

Why would they want to support a game that they will not make any money on? If it was my business, or anyone elses for that matter, they would all do the same thing, which is concerntrating on the latest version.

Now some people are no doubt going to come back at me and say "they aren't even updating CS:S". Well it's very much damned if they do, damned if they don't. They brought the game out when they did, we brought it knowing what state it was in, so we should have some patience and wait for some more updates to come our way.

I feel sorry for the old CS 1.6 guys. It's a great game I'm sure, but it's old hat now. You don't see many other dev teams supporting games which are that old.

Cobblers said:
I feel sorry for the old CS 1.6 guys. It's a great game I'm sure, but it's old hat now. You don't see many other dev teams supporting games which are that old.
But those games aren't the most played online game Ever. Counter-strike 1.6 will always have veteran gamers that don't like the new Source style, given it has certain changes in it.

Also in it's state so far VALVe can't afford not to update 1.6, since it's still the most stable version of the counter-strike series.

and most Dev teams do actually go back to update older games, well I've seen it happen anyway.

-Dekstar

Well many C.S players bitched about not wanting to shift from C.S 1.3.

Now look where they are? They will just have to keep thier trap shut (they have no other choice) and adapt to the source game.

But they are right, Source does have an arcady feel to it compared to 1.6

Zelnaga said:
Well many C.S players bitched about not wanting to shift from C.S 1.3.

Now look where they are? They will just have to keep thier trap shut (they have no other choice) and adapt to the source game.

But they are right, Source does have an arcady feel to it compared to 1.6

Arcade in style? As in the lack of kicback from the ak47 etc...? Thats the only thing that i can think of, everything else is nailed perfectly imo.

EVERY version of CS is an arcade-shooter.....

besides the bugs and its incomplete state, CS:S is MUCH better ! :)

I love 1.6, in fact i play it more than source. I like source, but 1.6 i just feel more comfortable, and its less buggy, well for my setup anyway. Im not being arrogant at all here people, but ive played source alot, and its easy...you dont need to aim, just spray and it doesnt feel like i need to try as hard as i do with 1.6. Another reason why i prefer it. I think you need to stop moaning about the fact that some people have a different opinions and realise that they are different games with different appeals. It indeed is old hat, but its still the most played game on steam, EASILY. http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

Why leave behind a game that gives so much and supports so many people. Enjoy both games, i dont see why not.

considering the time the both games (1.6 / cs:s) are out, there are a lot source-players ;)

You do realise these are all personal opinions, and from people who actively play CSS more than 1.6, no doubt. There are nowhere near as many 1.6 players as CSS players, and I bet over half of them would prefer 1.6 over CSS (Vets of 1.6 would perhaps). VALVe must cater to them, as they are some of their longest serving customers.

If they truely like CS, they will move on to CS:S. Why have two versions of the same game running?

If they truely like CS, they will move on to CS:S. Why have two versions of the same game running?

Have you not been a part of this conversation, you have two versions because thousands of players enjoy 1.6 more.. so they get a say. and source is new and will continue.. thats why you have two versions, to satisfy ALL your customers.. :rolleyes:

Cobblers said:
Sorry for speaking out of turn here, but why are all the CS v1.6 players complaining to Valve about a game that has now been superseeded?

Why would they want to support a game that they will not make any money on? If it was my business, or anyone elses for that matter, they would all do the same thing, which is concerntrating on the latest version.

Now some people are no doubt going to come back at me and say "they aren't even updating CS:S". Well it's very much damned if they do, damned if they don't. They brought the game out when they did, we brought it knowing what state it was in, so we should have some patience and wait for some more updates to come our way.

1.6 Wont die unless steam kills it. The game is far to popular, its been far to popular since the day it was first playable way back when 7-8 years ago. For you who looks like have never played it you just dont know. I played it since the day the retail version came out and i still find it highly entertaining.. Old or not. Hell i believe theres even 500 or so 1.5 servers still lurking around.

1.6 plays a lot smoother and CS:S still needs a bit of work (no VAC, needs more official maps/models, bugs, etc.) Most of the 1.6 players don't really care about graphics and the physics are pretty useless in gameplay so there's no point in them getting Source right now.

MaxiKana said:

Source has terrible netcode, and laggy hitbox's.
And some people can't even get it to run.

The head hitbox seems to be bigger in CS:S
kinda pisses me off :/

DizzyOne said:
The head hitbox seems to be bigger in CS:S
kinda pisses me off :/
it's not bigger, it just lags like crazy so it has the same result.

It sounds to me that you all should be able to agree they CS:S in it current state needs more love from Valve then CS 1.6. As some of you say it is buggier, has poorer netcode, and has less content so it is going to need more of the dev attention then your beloved CS 1.6. Now I'm not a fan of CS, I dislike the buy system (awards the winning team by weakening the losing team) and the death wait, but CS:S gets me to play the game.

CS 1.6 will always be there and once CS:S is in better shape I think they will turn they attantion back to CS 1.6 if bugs arise. But I don't think they would make any major updates anymore.

I dont play 1.6 anymore I would be afriaid of getting eye cancer

No walling in source anymore. Aint complaining. I over heard some e-sports people talking about it :p

Firstly, cheers for the replies to this thread, it has and hopefuly will continue to be a good read.

I appreciate why the 1.6 players would be pissed that their fav game has/isn't being updated how they would like it to be.

And with respect to those players, and without appearing to sound too harsh here, why should I care? I'm actually one of the lucky few who got a free copy of HL2 with my ATi card, but for those that have paid good money for this game, I can't see why they would be happy waiting for future updates/VAC, just because 1.6 players who purchased their game years ago, still want to play it and have it updated.

Before CS:S, I played Ghost Recon. IMO this was the best "tactical" shooter ever, I loved the game, infact I still do. You'll still find me playing it with some of my friends as it never grows old, just like 1.6 players would feel I'm sure. Updates have now ceased for this game, although had this not been the case, I would understand that GR1 updates would then cease.

I know the above sounds harsh, but I've paid my money, I got ALOT of enjoyment out of it, alot of people still play it, but the game has come to an end, and the time to move on is here.

Why would any company keep updating a game they no longer get money for? TBH, I'm not worried if Valve do update 1.6, it's down to them and it would be a very honourable if they do so, but no company does things cause they think it would be a nice thing to do.

I'm going to chime in here and add my 2 cents. I love source and would be playing it exclusively but right now, my fps and lag isn't optimal in source so I find myself hopping on source, getting extremely frustrated with it, and going back and playing 1.6. I've messed with all the settings I could (cl_interp 0, cl_smooth 0, rates, cl_updaterate, etc.etc.) and I just can't seem to find a happy medium. Maybe if I am going about it wrong and someone had a definative tutorial or walkthrough for optimizing your connection and fps I would play source more but until that happens (or I figure it out on my own) I have to stay with 1.6.

Now, here's where I am going to sound odd. I don't feel that Valve needs to update 1.6 as right now, there is really nothing wrong with it! It runs fine on 99% of peoples machines, no major bugs or problems with it (hell, not even many minor ones), and it's a very enjoyable game sans the graphics quality.

If Valve decides to make some changes to 1.6 it will probably anger more people than not. I don't know what the current state of CPL and such is but everytime CS was updated, TONS of bitching happened, why would that change now? Valve should just continue to work on CS:S and tweak that and I think you will find more and more 1.6 "converts".

Also, one of the biggest reasons I still play 1.6 is for the fy maps! Lol, I know it's kind of gay but I've reached the point where all the regular maps are SOOO old to me (I've been playing since beta 7.1) that the fy_maps are great to put some heavy tunes on, drink some beers and just run around like an idiot! And until source can handle a stinkin gun staying on the ground, (plus the lag and fps issues I mentioned) I will be staying with 1.6

Back