CS:GO Update Introduces "Music Kits"

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
After the recent success of Dota 2's International 2014 Music Pack created by award-winning composer Chance Thomas, Valve are looking to further expand their music library with the introduce of "Music Kits" for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. When equipped, Music Kits will replace numerous in-game musical cues with alternate versions made exclusively for the game by various big-name artists.
musicpack.png
As shown on the official announcement post, nine total artists have currently contributed to the new Music Kits. These include grammy-nominated Austin Wintory (Journey, The Banner Saga), Daniel Sadowski, Dren McDonald (Skulls of the Shogun), Feed Me, Noisia, Robert Allaire, DJ Sasha, Sean Murray (Call of Duty: Black Ops), and Jocke Skog. Each different artist can be distinguished by different musical genres based off their own specialties, such as Feed Me and Noisia's focus on electronic music, or Skog's emphasis on metal.

Like Dota 2 items, a Music Kit can be freely shared with anyone in the same game as the owner, meaning you won't need to own the item itself to enjoy some of the new tunes. The owner will also receive a special MVP anthem whenever they become the most valuable player in a round.

Music Kits are currently available as rare in-game drops and through the Steam Marketplace, even though you'll currently have to spend a LOT of money to get your hands on them from the market. It's an interesting development, and it's definitely something we've never really seen Valve attempt before outside of the already discussed example of Chance Thomas. We're looking forward to finding out how they may continue to work alongside third-party music producers in the future.

How many things are they going to add to cs:go? I'm starting to worry that in a years time, the game could look completely unrecognizable. I don't know exactly how to feel about these music kits. Skins turned out to be not that bad. Stickers were kind of meh... and now Music? maybe I'm just being pessimistic because I can't help but think of those crappy custom-music-quake-sounds from 1.6

Jeez, half of them are either dubstep or just not fitting at all. I'm pretty sure they're not that good at making soundtracks. At least they are optionable.

Last edited:
This is a great addition to csgo. Many people turn off music in csgo but I dont. Maybe they will make a workshop for this too so independet artists can make music for csgo and earn some money. Anyway, the more music the better!

I'm pretty sure they're not that good at making soundtracks.
Seriously? Listen to the Banner Saga and Journey soundtrack and tell me thats shit.

Seriously? Listen to the Banner Saga and Journey soundtrack and tell me thats shit.

I was talking about half of the artists. These guys are pretty cool, but the rest is not exactly my taste.

I was talking about half of the artists. These guys are pretty cool, but the rest is not exactly my taste.
Ok now I listened to all of them and I agree. Some suck, some dont fit. 2 or 3 or so are really good. I hope we will get more music kits soon.

Well it isnt as exciting as I first thought. The original music is still the best. Some of the new have some nice parts but shitty other parts.

Last edited:
I like the concept, some of the music is hit or miss for me. I hope we get music from more artist like Jon Babb, Todd Bryanto, or Danny Baranowsky

Back