Dota 2 "The Reborn Update" Release "In the Coming Weeks"

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a recent blog post to the Dota 2 Steam Community group, Valve have revealed the "Reborn Update" for Dota 2 will ship "in the coming weeks", finally swapping the game over to the new Source 2 engine after several months as a separate beta client. Prior to the update, Valve's team will continue to work on "ironing out issues, refining the dashboard and iterating based on your feedback" before looking to redesign the in-game HUD in order to get the heavily work-in-progress client up to speed as quickly as possible.

day1_header.png
Despite these upcoming improvements, the Source 2 client set to be introduced with the Reborn Update will not be feature-complete by any means, but Valve have commented saying the last few remaining features that need work will be finished "quickly", likely sometime before the Fall Major begins in early October 2015. For the time being, today's update to the Reborn beta has introduced sizable improvements to the maximum map size (something always heavily restricted in Source 1), full support for the 64bit client, and the addition of all remaining Source 1 assets (including items and music packs). There's a significantly longer list of changes and improvements over on the Reborn update page if you care enough to want to check it out.

It's also worth noting that, from today onward, all released content for Dota 2 will be added to the Source 2 client ONLY, effectively spelling the beginning of the end for Source 1.

time to start placing bets on what gets a source 2 upgrade next. TF2 or CS:GO?

Well not TF2, Valve already mentioned that TF2's source 2 port isn't even considered atm. And I doubt CSGO will get one that soon if ever.

It's wrong to assume Valve will go ahead and port all of their Source 1 games to Source 2 "just because they can". There's no need at all for TF2 or CS:GO to be ported at the current time. It isn't just a case of taking the assets and copy/pasting them until they work - it takes months of refinement and bug fixing just to get the software back up to the standard it was previously at.

TF2 just needs some fixing, but I think they are at that point where it is not profitable. CSGO should just adapt some features from DotA 2.

TF2 just needs some fixing, but I think they are at that point where it is not profitable. CSGO should just adapt some features from DotA 2.
"Not profitable" - Team Fortress 2 broke even a long, long time ago. Porting TF2 to Source 2 won't fix the bugs it does have, it'll just create more.

I don't play Dota 2, but I'd like to weigh in.

Once they've finished porting Dota 2 to Source 2, I hope they don't become too ambitious with any new features. I'll always have a place in my heart for Team Fortress 2, but after so many updates and additions, it's just not the same game anymore.

CS:GO...

"I’m sure it’ll end up on Source 2 at some point," Valve's Erik Johnson said. "Counter-Strike is growing." Behind Dota 2, CS:GO is the most actively played game on Steam. [...] "Fundamentally what Source 2 does is let everyone at Valve who makes game content be more efficient, it allows us to do everything more efficiently."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08...t-a-counter-strike-international-championship

It'd make a lot of sense to move to a more efficient system if the game is growing. But Erik said "Counter-Strike" is growing, not "CS:GO". This could mean that they have barely even started to look at porting CS:GO, so it might be awhile, and we may, may have to wait for the next Counter-Strike game.

Last edited:
"Not profitable" - Team Fortress 2 broke even a long, long time ago. Porting TF2 to Source 2 won't fix the bugs it does have, it'll just create more.
Did't talk about porting there.

Did't talk about porting there.
Apologies, I didn't see the word "just" in your original post. You are correct! (Although I should point out my post technically didn't disagree with you, it actually supported what you said! =] )

I don't play Dota 2, but I'd like to weigh in.

Once they've finished porting Dota 2 to Source 2, I hope they don't become too ambitious with any new features. I'll always have a place in my heart for Team Fortress 2, but after so many updates and additions, it's just not the same game anymore.

Dota 2 core game will slowly grow with a trickle of further heroes.

However the main growth it'll have in the Reborn client is the custom game modes, in the same way Warcraft 3 because the innovation powerhouse it once was.
So the core game won't become "bloated" other than by cosmetics.

I do wonder how much VR support Reborn will allow. We know there is going to be VR for Dota 2 spectating, but if Valve provide good support in the custom game tools that could be huge.

It's wrong to assume Valve will go ahead and port all of their Source 1 games to Source 2 "just because they can". There's no need at all for TF2 or CS:GO to be ported at the current time. It isn't just a case of taking the assets and copy/pasting them until they work - it takes months of refinement and bug fixing just to get the software back up to the standard it was previously at.
well the bigger map sizes could be great for the games if used properly. and better modding tools would be something the community would love. Maybe porting them over isn't the first thing they have to do right now, but they should probably do it at some point. Especially since it's going to be a long time till either game gets a sequel based on the Jira leak.

Good. Source 2 is making progress. But as someone who doesn't care about DotA, I just wonder when we're going to learn about this "new thing" that's coming out with the Vive.

Back