Dota 2 "Reborn Beta" + Source 2 Now Available

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite not being name dropped once in the previous two posts, the Source 2 engine has taken center stage for the final reveal of the "Dota 2 Reborn Beta".

Source2.gif
The post, while not too in-depth regarding specific details, outlines a number of important ways the new engine will benefit Dota 2 players, including more responsive inputs, better system performance, higher quality audio across the entire game (including voice chat), improved rendering using Vulkan (OpenGL), and more realistic physics and cloth systems.

The "Tiled Map System" used for level design within the new Hammer Editor will also provide interesting benefits for players, allowing different players in the same game to use a different map theme (Default, Desert, Snow, etc) without any effect on gameplay. Source 2 also boasts improved networking capabilities, helping make server traffic more stable and safer from DDOS attacks than ever before.

Let's take a look at Dota 2 Reborn's Dashboard!

As we suspected many moons ago, the Source Filmmaker is also fully compatible with Source 2, allowing filmmakers to take full advantage of the engine's new horsepower. The updated version of SFM can also take full advantage of game replays, allowing animations, different map environments, and custom camera angles to be implemented directly into gameplay playback.

As promised earlier in the week, the release of tonight's announcement post has also introduced the Reborn Beta and the first major consumer-ready build of Source 2. To download the beta and to begin participating, simply log into the Source 1 version of Dota 2, travel to the "Play" tab and select "Dota 2 Reborn Beta". Clicking the button will then download the Source 2 version of the game onto a local hard drive, where it can then be selected using a new prompt set to appear whenever Dota 2 is started from the Steam client. Game statistics, friends, match history, etc, all remain consistent across both clients, so there's no reason not to give the beta a go!

Now let's check out Valve's own "Overthrow" custom gamemode in an intense 3v3v3!

These are exciting times, and you can bet we'll have more to say about Dota 2 Reborn and the Source 2 engine very soon, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
I'm not even a MOBA player, but I'm excited. That map editor looks crazy. I may install DotA just to fool around with that.

Very interesting, I'm really looking forward to see what the Source 2 engine will offer in terms of modding capabilities! Looking forward for more.

I'm not even a MOBA player, but I'm excited. That map editor looks crazy. I may install DotA just to fool around with that.
now there will be TONS of non-MOBA custom games. Who knows, maybe someone will remake Warcraft 3?

Calling it now, they will port CSGO to Source 2.
I think thats obvious :) CS:GO is growing faster than Dota 2 and porting it will make supporting it easier and it will also be a better game afterwards and the performance boost is much better for CS:GO and I wonder what the map editor will look like.

It's only a matter of time until TF2 reloaded. Well that and someone finding a Half-Life 3 reference in the source 2 code

I
To download the beta and to begin participating, simply log into the Source 1 version of Dota 2, travel to the "Play" tab and select "Dota 2 Reborn Beta". Clicking the button will then download the Source 2 version of the game onto a local hard drive, where it can then be selected using a new prompt set to appear whenever Dota 2 is started from the Steam client.
Because steam doesn't already have a system in place to do this same exact thing?

Valve, you're weird.

I

Because steam doesn't already have a system in place to do this same exact thing?

Valve, you're weird.
It's classified as DLC for Dota 2, for the purposes of keeping your match records consistent across two clients.

Back