CS:S settings not saving. Performance degraded.

Unfocused

Companion Cube
Reaction score
For some reason my CS:S settings don't get saved and I have to set them up again every time I run the game.

To clarify - the settings I made a long time ago, like key bindings, buy scripts, sensitivity etc. remain the same but now when I change something it doesn't stay that way after I restart the game. So each time I have to adjust my brightness, turn off HDR, change crosshair size etc.

What may be causing that?

And BTW - recently I've been experiencing performance problems with CS:S. FPS are bascially the same but every now and then the game will stop for a split second, when someone starts shooting, something blows up or at completely random moments - reminds me of the time when I had 256MB RAM, but now I've got 1,5GB RAM and everything was fine. Even when I had 256MB the game had those hickups during the first few rounds not the whole time.

On second thought, the FPS did change in the stress test, about 52 now, while it was 70-80 when I last checked it I think (that would be a few months ago probably).

Any ideas here? System needs reinstall or has a recent update caused any performance drops for anyone else?

I did defragment and verify the integrity of the cache BTW.

Have you checked your cstrike/cfg folder for unwanted commands in the autoexec.cfg or userconfig.cfg (if they exist)?

the commands for what you mentioned are

mat_monitorgamma
mat_hdr_level
cl_crosshairscale

To me it sounds like you installed a graphics config file that's also messing up your performance.

Nah, I haven't installed any configs, though I have created my own when I started playing a few years ago. Can't remember how all this works, cause I haven't bothered since and anyway any changes I made in-game were saved to my config anyway. I think I messed with the "read only" attributes for the files to prevent the servers from forcing any setting, but I unchecked that later.

As for the performance, maybe it's just a system issue, it's sluggish, firefox crashes regularily - probably time for a format (haven't done it in quite some time). :|

Back