Custom DoD:S Map (WIP)

F

FuzzDad

For the last 6-7 months I've been working on and off on a custom Source version of my official DoD 1.3 dod_falaise map. It will not be called that and it's significantly changed over the released map. I should have it tested and ready to release by mid October. Click HERE or on the picture below for more pictures and a video flyby. I'm sure Verizon will take down the site once my bandwidth goes off the chart but what the heck.

NICE, dude !

I don´t like the kabels in "screen4".

can't wait, october it will be ready eh, lets hope dod: source is out by then :D

wow that's pretty nice ..will dl when you're done

Very nice work fuzzdad, nice to see some veteran dod mappers making the change (assuming you are the same person I am thinking of). Really like the lighting and your custom sky, nice work :)

errr wait, arent you one of the official dod mappers? I watched the flyby of the map, looks outstanding, a definite download for me.

Thats it I have to know:
What does this mean:
I may not be very good at what I do, but at least I'm slow...

btw nice mapage.

1Luc1: It's a bad angle...the cables actually look really good in-game and they sway to a wind direction I put in (as do the shutters).
Kmack: Sep 26 baby...book it!
Worldspawn: It does (beta testers play tested it long ago...gameplay's fine)
DjBourgeoisie: Yes; dod_glider, dod_falaise, dod_flugplatz
Idonotbelonghere: It's meant to be facetious (tongue-in-cheek, silly, self-deprecating).

Wow.. great work, I already thought dod_falaise from the 'old' dod was one of the better maps :)

I really hopes it goes official, professional work right here..

vary vary nice m8,it realy looks like you have captured the old dod_falaise feeling,i love the texture on those buildings,and i like the wind implement to,
should make a good atmosphereic feel.
i could talk about how good this map looks for hours.

vary nice m8

Excellent stuff man, I always loved that map.

Wow, that looks great. Keep up the good work. I will definitely be looking forward to the release. :D

Thx for the nice remarks. One thing I'll tell you is that take what you see here and mulitply it by at least a factor of 2 and you'll get how the official maps look. I'm fairly tight w/dev team and ever indication I have is they are stunned at how nice everything looks and how great the gameplay is. There were close to 30 people attached to the dod:source project. From Kirsten Perry as the art director to the same mappers who did HL2, etc...it's going to be a solid and professional release.

Fuzzdad, tell them to PLEASE darken the sky and add rain in dod_donner I saw the screens a while back (not sure if they were prefinal) and was hugely disappointed they changed it into a bright/sunny map.

DjBourgeoisie said:
Fuzzdad, tell them to PLEASE darken the sky and add rain in dod_donner I saw the screens a while back (not sure if they were prefinal) and was hugely disappointed they changed it into a bright/sunny map.

I don't think so. There's a difference between atmosphere and playability. There's no doubt that dark. gloomy, and war-torn maps look great...but in a MP environment they play like crap. You have to disengage yourself from what is relaistic to what is best for MP gameplay. The general consensus is maps should be "light and tight" as in brightly lit and small. Anzio, Avalanche, and Flash all fit this parameter and they are three of the four most-played maps.

FuzzDad said:
I don't think so. There's a difference between atmosphere and playability. There's no doubt that dark. gloomy, and war-torn maps look great...but in a MP environment they play like crap. You have to disengage yourself from what is relaistic to what is best for MP gameplay. The general consensus is maps should be "light and tight" as in brightly lit and small. Anzio, Avalanche, and Flash all fit this parameter and they are three of the four most-played maps.

Ya thats true however not every person who plays dod is a clannie or plays to compete, some just play for the look of a game or the type of genre. If every map is bright and sunny its going to disappoint alot of people. I think diversity is a good thing. From what I remember having played donner quite a bit I never had complaints on my server of it being too dark or hard to see. I think its pretty simple to make a map look dark/gloomy but not to the extent you cant see the enemy clearly. The shots I remember were on phl, several comments were made about the lighting being too bright for that map, same response over at interlopers. Sure not every map needs to be dark/gloomy, however donner is my personal favorite and seeing it all bright pretty much ruins it for me.

DjBourgeoisie said:
Ya thats true however not every person who plays dod is a clannie or plays to compete, some just play for the look of a game or the type of genre. If every map is bright and sunny its going to disappoint alot of people. I think diversity is a good thing. From what I remember having played donner quite a bit I never had complaints on my server of it being too dark or hard to see. I think its pretty simple to make a map look dark/gloomy but not to the extent you cant see the enemy clearly. The shots I remember were on phl, several comments were made about the lighting being too bright for that map, same response over at interlopers. Sure not every map needs to be dark/gloomy, however donner is my personal favorite and seeing it all bright pretty much ruins it for me.

I'm not suggesting your way is wrong...I'm just stating facts...many more people will play a light map than a dark map. In the end the regular player cares about jumping into a server and getting a few frags in a fast and quick game...he doesn't want to camp nor want to be camped...he/she wants to have fun. For the most part, the light and tight maps are played over and over again while the darker ones are not. I'll even venture that most people who play donner today use particlefx 1 or 0, puches their gamma or brightness up to 50% and use stopsound to remove the ambients. Nobody is suggesting that a dark and ambient-rich map isn;t impressive...but it's just not suited to MP play.

I agree completely, I was just emphasizing that I think though donner had an overcast sky and rain, you could still see really well. I was not suggesting it be made into a night map by any means, just that they do something to capture the gloomy feeling that map had. I would not really fuss if I did not love that map so much ;) Sorry if I derailed your topic, I did not mean to so I apologize. I'll be sure to checkout this map when its released though thats for sure.

Hey Fuzzdad, you're a brilliant mapper, wanna do a port of dod_heutau from 3.1? God, I miss that map. :(

Love glider, thats a brilliant map for sneaking around.

Back