custom map strangeness

J

jckdnl

Hi all,

I just started creating a custom map. Got everything figured out, or so I thought. I created the map saved it and went to run map. The thing compiles fine and launches fine. However, I get some weird things. First the console displays:
material "vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny" not found
--- Missing Vgui material vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny

Then the game plays fine for a short amount of time. After what seems to be a random amount of time all my textures go away and I am left with a black screen. I can still see the hand and weapon but there aren't any textures (see attached image). Anyone see this kind of thing before?

Attachments

• hl2_error.JPG
    hl2_error.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 254
Yes, this is another example of this weird graphics bug. It should only occur when you run the map through Hammer, never when you manually start up the game and load your map.

I recently had this occur... it never has happened before. It did it when I was in windowed mode (never seen it in fullscreen). I was running the new 'de_dust' for CS:S. I assumed it was a bug with the new CS:S HDR code. While I'm not sure if this is the same problem (in my case it was accompanied by some other HDR weirdness), I got mine to go away by disabling HDR.
mat_hdr_enabled 0 -or- mat_hdr_level 0
one or the other.
not much help if you're making HDR maps of course...

as for the message... I think I've gotten that... it doesn't seem to mean anything very important.

I loaded the map manually in the game and didn't experience the error. Thanks a bunch Raeven0!

Well, one problem I had a while ago, is when I created a custom cs source map. It had no errors in the console, it ran compleatly fine on my computer. Used all normal textures... But when I would play online with it, or had it at a lan party, everyones textures were compleatly black. Then when they used the flaslight, the textures would show up.... kinda weird. I then re-compiled the map, and took out every light, including the .env sun and environmental light, then it ran fine on (fake lighting) I think me trying to make it have a env.sun had somthing to do with it. ..

Although on my computer, the env sun worked, and I had a wonderfull HDR lighting effect with the sun. Very odd to me, no one was ever able to help me fix my problem,, sorry to add this to your thread... But thanks for the help, if you could!

blackflag486 said:
Well, one problem I had a while ago, is when I created a custom cs source map. It had no errors in the console, it ran compleatly fine on my computer. Used all normal textures... But when I would play online with it, or had it at a lan party, everyones textures were compleatly black. Then when they used the flaslight, the textures would show up.... kinda weird. I then re-compiled the map, and took out every light, including the .env sun and environmental light, then it ran fine on (fake lighting) I think me trying to make it have a env.sun had somthing to do with it. ..

Although on my computer, the env sun worked, and I had a wonderfull HDR lighting effect with the sun. Very odd to me, no one was ever able to help me fix my problem,, sorry to add this to your thread... But thanks for the help, if you could!

Have you tried compiling it on another computer?

I believe I had this problem before. If it works fine on theirs then redownload or refresh all of the sdk files and make sure you build cubemaps and zip all of the textures in the bsp.

zip textures in bsp? it was all reg hl2 textures, none added. i built cupemaps and all. I tryed to do it on another computer, but I never had time, I left the state, and am now in a diff location. W/o my comp )-: Also I tryed refreshing my textures and sdk files. what doesnt make sense, is that the textures would show up when the flashlight is used. The screen was never PITCH BLACK... They had small light from the SKYBOX and thats it....

nope no help for me, all my textures were standard cs source textures. used in de_dust and cbble and such. It worked, once I took out ALL lights and used fullbright

Back