Cyborgs; Hybrots; Remote/Software Controlled Organisms

VirusType2

Reaction score
Overview: Remote Controlled Mice Today, Remote Controlled Humans Tomorrow

93o7q.jpg

You may not have to wait until the year 2154 for your own remote-controlled body. Mark Stephen Meadows discusses wetware technology and how the science-fiction of Avatar is quickly becoming science fact.
http://gizmodo.com/5708415/todays-rc-mice-are-tomorrows-avatars?skyline=true&s=i

Further detail on the history of melding electronics and organics:

2010: Synthetic genome used to control bacteria (which amounts to building software for a living organism)
it means that other genomes could be created, including a human genome that could be combined with the genome of other systems, such as, well, anything that runs on genes and chromosomes, which is most anything that's living.

2009: Remote, electric muscle activation (remote controlled insect)
In January, Professor Michel Maharbiz and postdoctoral researcher Hirotaka Sato, both of electrical engineering and computer sciences, demonstrated the first wireless control of a rhinoceros beetle at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers’ MEMS conference in Italy. Implanted on the live insect: six electrodes, a microprocessor, a radio receiver and a microbattery. Using a laptop to deliver commands to a base station, the researchers sent radio signals to the beetle’s gear, stimulating the brain and flight muscles to fly, turn and hover. Maharbiz, director of the Berkeley Sensor & Actuator Center, says the DARPA-funded research could elucidate the neurobiology and biomechanics of insect flight, and the cyborg beetles could be used in the future for delicate search-and-rescue or surveillance missions.
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~maharbiz/Cyborg.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...fai=Cu9cq360BTYaBOoqOyAS6s5ndDgAAAKoEBU_QLnLm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAeV96bTRiI

2008: Learning brain cells control robots

A robot controlled by a blob of rat brain cells could provide insights into diseases such as Alzheimer's, University of Reading scientists say.

The project marries 300,000 rat neurons to a robot that navigates via sonar.

The neurons are now being taught to steer the robot around obstacles and avoid the walls of the small pen in which it is kept.

Hybrid machines

The blob of nerves forming the brain of the robot was taken from the neural cortex in a rat foetus and then treated to dissolve the connections between individual neurons.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7559150.stm

Hybrot
A hybrot (short for "hybrid robot") is a cybernetic organism in the form of a robot controlled by a computer consisting of both electronic and biological elements. The biological elements are typically rat neurons connected to a computer chip.

2007: Scientists Start to Fuse Tissue and Technology in Machines
a revolutionary experiment in combining a mechanical device with living tissue. The robot is controlled by an immature lamprey eel brain that was removed, kept alive in a special solution and attached to the hockey-puck-sized robot by wires so it can receive signals from the device's electronic eyes and send commands to move the machine's wheels.
http://www.raven1.net/eelrobot.htm

1990s: Scientists establish dialogue between computer and neurons in a Petri dish

Would it be cool to have Replicants? (Y/N)
rachelandroidreplicantb.jpg
I don't know, but the remote controlled beetle is simple, and simply astonishing.

yeah this tech won't be perfected till 2154 though. Many things can and will go wrong in its infancy

New York University professor and artist Wafaa Bilal chose to undergo painful surgery to have the base of a digital camera implanted in the back of his head, all for the sake of art. His project, The 3rd I, is meant to explore the state of privacy in the modern era as well as examine the corners of our lives we rarely pay attention to.

It's also a sign of the times regarding the march of biotechnology into our lives. In this case it's in the service of art, but it's anyone's guess how long it might be before the utility and practicality of bionic implants turn more of us into walking cyborgs. What's your prediction?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nNKbO9-Eg
He's going to wear it for 1 year (24/7), and it will snap 1 picture every minute. It goes live December 15th, where it will be continually uploaded to the internet.

Protip: just use a sweatband or hat to hold it up.

Someone should do one with a constant video stream for 1 hr on mute though. i wasn't listening to all of it but did they say he'll take a picture on the crapper or during a shower?

Someone should do one with a constant video stream for 1 hr on mute though. i wasn't listening to all of it but did they say he'll take a picture on the crapper or during a shower?

24 hours a day for a year (I guess he doesn't sleep on his back). The camera lens will be capped during the class he teaches, however.

Sorry Virus, but none of this is new. Sure it's interesting but none of this is really "news".

Sorry Virus, but none of this is new. Sure it's interesting but none of this is really "news".
Well the post was pretty verbose, so I decided to remove the disclaimer about 'nothing new, but that I had never seen it posted before.'

SO I DELETED IT in the interest of conciseness. And who said it was news? Or had to be news? YOU WANNA GO?

COME AT ME BRO

No but seriously, the article is from December 9. But it had just touched on the history of these developments, so I searched the world high and low to uncover more detail on the touching. Hence the accurately titled history recap.

Come on', I found a video of a remote controlled beetle. That's the highlight of my week.

Yeah it doesn't have to be news... eh never mind.

And meanwhile the vast majority of people still think this stuff is sci-fi/fantasy, and if you talk to them about it seriously, they think you're high or something.

Yeah it doesn't have to be news... eh never mind.

And meanwhile the vast majority of people still think this stuff is sci-fi/fantasy, and if you talk to them about it seriously, they think you're high or something.

Really? High?

Well shit, I don't believe what Warped says, I think we are on the verge of an explosion of scientific wizardry.

I mean, it's like, we don't have to start with controlling worms and work our way up over 100 years or whatever, we actually have the technology to just jump straight to humans on half this shit.

All the different fields are converging and applicable to each other. Our incredible computing advances in the past 30 years, combined with the advances in DNA and genome study, and breakthroughs in scientific medical equipment like CT scans, as well as satellite GPS, nano technology, cloning, atom microscopes, 3D virtual/augmented reality, and countless other advances like discoveries on how the different aspects of the human body and brain work. (for example, controlling a computer with your mind). Let's not forget our Japanese robot friends.

This stuff is all going to really peak at the same time and they will probably be used together more and more often to the point where they may be inseparable.

I think in a matter of years it may be extremely popular to wear a miniphone wristwatch (Like a smartphone, but a wrist-watch) that is controlled primarily by your voice using a discrete miniature bluetooth earbud, giving you the power of internet connected cellular GPS communications (you know, all the stuff that smartphones have now, plus more).

The smartwatch that controls the smarthouse and unlocks your smart car - the car that knows where you are going before you even get in the car because your smartwatch has synced with your car and home computer which knows you have plotted a trip. The car may or may not drive itself, but it certainly gives good directions, and your house knows to turn off all the lights when you leave and reduce the heat, and check for fires, and automatically locks the door and sets an alarm and feeds the dog. Or something cooler which I do not have time to imagine right this moment.

15 years after that, the mother****ers just read your mind.

I agree, however the kind of people I'm talking about are your average joes, who don't keep up to date on all this stuff or simply don't care. Hell I know of a few who think the cellphone is the peak of what modern technology has to offer, and that the Internet is a waste of time...

The problem arises when these same people are given the option to vote for or against things like stem cell research, and inevitably they make a decision on emotional kneejerk reactions (it's weird, I don't see the benefits, we shouldn't be playing god, therefore I'm against it).

Also I think you should take a look at this article, related to what I'm talking about: http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/works/shocklevelanalysis.htm

Oh my, people could rape countless of girls by controling them and get away with a "hey, she came onto me".

It's called We3. Short graphic novel, you could read it in an hour or two.

I'm surprised Danimal didn't comment on the remote controlled cyborg surveillance insects like the Rhinoceros Beetle.

6JgI7.jpg

Brainwaves: Here Comes The Wetware
Today’s sets handle much more than mere alpha/beta wave measurement: Emotiv’s, in particular, can track eye motion, facial expressions, emotional state, and even directional thoughts.
Columbia University’s Paul Sajda has scored $4.6 million from the Department of Defence for his EEG cap and machine-learning algorithms used to improve image recognition and classification.

Gaming is also a big market (making the Kinect seem so five minutes ago) but the ability to connect neural headsets and mobile devices is even more interesting. Garten—who will be speaking at Le Web next week, and at CES in January—sketches a compelling vision of stylish headsets growing more common than Bluetooth earpieces today, and their users interacting with phones, kiosks, and other devices without so much as twitching a lip or finger.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/04/wetware/

EEG cap and machine-learning algorithms
"Reading our brain signals and being able to distinguish 'interesting' from 'not interesting' prior to us having a conscious perception of seeing the item tells us that there is a substantial amount of processing that our brain does prior to the conscious awareness of the perception."

Images are cycled 10 per second. You don't have time to decide how to group the image, for instance "funny looking", but your brain has already subconsciously decided if the image is interesting.

Back