Day of Defeat: Source BETA Imminent HUGE!

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
This is why Valve ****ing rocks!

Hold on to your rifles gents, Day of Defeat: Source is about to undergo an extreme game makeover.

* added Dod_Palermo, updated map based on Dod_Salerno by Insta
* added Steamworks features, including achievements and player avatars
* added Nemesis and Revenge
* added Freeze Cam
* friendly players no longer collide with each other
* many particle systems have been improved
* changed the algorithm for bullet spread to be more like the original Day of Defeat
* reduced Garand recoil
* View position is now adjusted when zoomed with rifles and sniper rifles to help with player visibility around corners

Planned changes not in this update
* Per-player stats linked to Steam Community
* many map exploit fixes

There is a BETA planned for this update that will undoubtedly see a number of smaller updates along the road. All owners of Day of Defeat: Source will be able to partake in this BETA once it goes live.

For server administrators, a member of the HLDS mailing list has noticed that a "dodsbeta" option is now available. You might be able to get a jump on getting your DoD:S BETA server up before the client BETA goes live. And yes, this will bring Day of Defeat: Source onto the Orange Box engine, if the install directory for the server is any indication.

http://www.csnation.net/

Wow, out of the blue.

Nice... reduced recoil for the garand finally.
Bullet spread reduced to be more like DoD... YAY! These two things are the only two issues I had with DoD:S.
The guns were treated like you were firing these massives weapons of destruction.

No point in risking getting my account banned by getting it early if it comes out tomorrow.

Wait, what's this game DoD:S? Some WWII simulator?

Clients get access to it in an hour or two.

The steam moderators are deleting and banning users who post any references to this on their forums trying to cover it up..lol.

Doggunn or whatever was told to not pass around how to do it, he then started trolling the forum thus he got banned.

Good to see a solid list of naturally-obtainable Achievements.

sweet sweet sweet this is excellent news

Nice to see an update, but it's no "extreme game makeover" :p

How the hell do you get the beta? :|

Wow, we're actually going to get the update. Amazing. Will there be new visual (Film esque) effects? I remember seeing some video way back about it..

I'm downloading the beta now.

I'll play DoD:S with you if the new version actually makes it fun to play.

If not, I'll stick with DoD 1.3 or w/e the version number is.

Well its out on steam today i guess. Been playing abit, but then still liking the old DoD:S More

I like the weapon changes, the new bullet spread makes the game quite different and IMO reminiscent of 1.3 to some extent. Garand recoil also makes that weapon much more effective (although still not as powerful as the k98 for the average player) and the new map is pretty meh as it barely changes anything from dod_salerno which was a popular custom since the first six months of DOD:S's release. The new particle and lighting effects are noticeable and make the game a bit more interesting but overall not much has changed.

Yeah, they need a lot more bigger changes for it to be a noticeable update and get more players back into it and hopefully new ones.

I do love the Garand now.

Has any one really looked at the achivements yet? They are great! some look really difficult! :D

Only excited because i hope for really difficult achievements for CSS and these look like real achievements, not like the ones in Halflife2 Ep. 2

Has any one really looked at the achivements yet? They are great! some look really difficult! :D

Only excited because i hope for really difficult achievements for CSS and these look like real achievements, not like the ones in Halflife2 Ep. 2

Yes they look very difficult! its going to be a pain in the butt to unlock them all!

it's not like you need to though seeing as you don't unlock anything at the end.

Back