Day of Defeat Steamworks Update In Beta

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new update adding support for Steamworks is currently available in beta for Day of Defeat: Source.
Leveraging the recently released free set of services available in Steamworks, the Day of Defeat update will add 51 achievements for DoD, player avatar display in the scoreboard and win panel, and detailed player statistics integrated with the Steam Community features (www.steamcommunity.com).[br]
This update also adds support for popular features introduced in Valve's Team Fortress 2, the PC title named multiplayer game of the year by Gamespy.com and PC Gamer. These include "nemesis/revenge" freeze cam and new effects driven by the particle system introduced to the Source engine for TF2.[br]
In addition, this update will also introduce a new map, dod_Palermo, which is a remix of the most popular community map, dod_salerno. Owners of Day of Defeat: Source, retail and Steam versions, may join the beta free of charge. For more information about Day of Defeat: Source or to join the beta, please visit www.steamgames.com.
I'm sure the introduction of 51 achievements will bring a few old DoD players out to prove themselves.[br]A poster at the Facepunch Studio forums has discovered the achievements and posted a list here.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif

Wow. I thought they gave up on this game as soon as it was released. :|

I guess I'm glad they are adding in achievements and what not.

Glad they're doing it on DoD:S first. I don't play it, and don't really intend to when this update comes out, but we all know how much the DoD:S fans need to know VALVe still care about them :E

Can't wait for CSS to get the same treatment though.

Holy shit, Valve must have just remembered they made that game!

Nice. Might get me back into DoD. I guess CS:S will be next.

Couldn't Valve have not done this for CSS instead? or is CSS getting one as well.

Why wouldn't they do a CSS one? You can already see Counter-Strike Source Beta under the server list.

I guess this is a way to see how making such a big update for an old game goes off before making it to a large player base such as CS:S

Wow. Valve updates a game that is all but abandoned and people are dissapointed CSS, a game that has recieved a bunch of updates - not to mention TON of fan made content - didn't get it.

It's like complaining a inner city school got funds instead of a private school.

Timing kind of threw me off too. I haven't even thought about DoD in ages, and yesterday I was thinking about how sad it was that DoD was all but abandonded. Now this? GET OUT OF MY HEAD VALVE.

Sweet!! I've been playing loads of DOD:S lately, and I figured Valve had abandoned it completely. Cool stuff.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685289

Welcome to the Day of Defeat: Source Beta forum. For the upcoming update, we'll be running a short beta test period, open to anyone that owns Day of Defeat: Source.

Changes in this update:

- added Dod_Palermo, updated map based on Dod_Salerno by Insta
- added Steamworks features, including achievements and player avatars
- added Nemesis and Revenge
- added Freeze Cam
- friendly players no longer collide with each other
- many particle systems have been improved
- changed the algorithm for bullet spread to be more like the original Day of Defeat
- reduced Garand recoil
- View position is now adjusted when zoomed with rifles and sniper rifles to help with player visibility around corners

Planned changes not in this update:

- Per-player stats linked to Steam Community
- many map exploit fixes

I always preffered DoDS to CSS, so when I get my PC sorted I will be looking to play some of this :D

How do you get it?? It is not in the steam beta section!?

Oh cool I'm surprised valve remember they have this :D

This will get me playing it again probably (the TF2 update didn't do much for me really) and I might play CSS as well when they do the same thing for it although i'm not a big css fan.

How about an update that makes it fun?
I'm afraid I have to agree with you there fully, I really tried to like it but it really isn't fun whatsoever on Source. This has been released for DODS before CSS for the purpose of bumping up players with the novelty of Steamworks being introduced. Although for a short period it will be successful, I'm not so sure for the long run. That "fun" injection seems highly elusive still...

If they decrease recoil on all of the guns and make the gun models a little smaller... I'd have no qualms with it.

I stopped playing DoD when it went source because they totally FUBARed the weapons. No amount of achievements or nemesis features or new maps will change that fact.

"- changed the algorithm for bullet spread to be more like the original Day of Defeat"

OMFG! This is the best news I've ever heard for DoD: S!

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there fully, I really tried to like it but it really isn't fun whatsoever on Source. This has been released for DODS before CSS for the purpose of bumping up players with the novelty of Steamworks being introduced. Although for a short period it will be successful, I'm not so sure for the long run. That "fun" injection seems highly elusive still...

Thousands of of others have found it, you must be looking in the wrong place.

I didnt realize they made actual game updates too. Awesome.

My feeling is that this is a precursor to Orange Box Engine HL2 + Ep1, not so much a precursor to OBE CSS. Thoughts?

Im glad they are finally throwing us dod players a freakin bone here, but the update is still meh. I don't see why they would waste their time remixing a map thats already played to death on most servers, instead of taking original dod maps and porting them to source. WHY?? Why valve? Why cant you bring us a remixed forest or something else for christ sake.

After playing it for a bit, my only real complaint with the beta is the crouch speed. You're practically not moving at all! I think a prone, zoomed sniper could strafe faster than that before the update!

Other than that, I'm fine with it. I'm kind of an achievement whore, and I think it rewards people by trying out different styles of play rather than just being one class all the time (works especially on snipers, 12 year olds who are like "I SAW SAVING PRIVATE RYAN AND I WANT TO BE A SNIPOR!")

How the bloody hell do you obtain this beta? I've went into the settings panel and decided to join the Steam Client Candidate beta, but there is nothing new for DODS.

EDIT: Nevermind. :|

Yeah I messaged Acid and was like "where is it bro?" and he said "it's in your games list grayed out." More like "it's in your games list dummy". :p <3 Valve should have stated where it is though.

Just played a few rounds, the game still sucks when compared to DoD 1.3.

Sigh.

In my opinion the beta sucks. I didnt notice anything different besides prettier fire, server crashes, client crashes, and slower than a rock crouching movement speeds. Certainly nothing to get people excited about the game again.

I agree, Krynn.
The garand is overpowered as **** now, there's literally NO recoil.

GG Valve, get us worked up over minuscule additions... Oh boy, ACHIEVEMENTS... just what I've always wanted with DoD:S.
Nice idea, just doesn't make the game better for the 1.3ers.

I think the bots are going to appreciate the achievements. Nicely done Valve.

In my opinion the beta sucks. I didnt notice anything different besides prettier fire, server crashes, client crashes, and slower than a rock crouching movement speeds. Certainly nothing to get people excited about the game again.

Good thinking. You do know why its in beta right... ?

Thanks for actually helping out with it, by reporting bugs to Valve, etc. Guess some of you have no idea what "beta testing" is...

And thanks for being presumptuous and assuming I didnt report any bugs or comments. I made 4 reports in the 15 minutes I played. I know well what beta testing is, and all im saying is that their update brings nothing of interest to the game.

I gotta say, it's DOD:S with achievements. Unfortunately the achievements are like "kill 500 people with your shovel". It's hard as it is to kill a guy, let alone kill him with a shovel. Pesh and Kryn know how bad I suck at it. :p It's like 5 sec in and bam, I die. In fact, it's harder than CS. I was never good at the game and I really just bought it for the WW2 theme and HDR.

A lot of the achievements look really steep. At the same time though, they don't annoy me anywhere near as much as TF2's.

So meh.

And thanks for being presumptuous and assuming I didnt report any bugs or comments. I made 4 reports in the 15 minutes I played. I know well what beta testing is, and all im saying is that their update brings nothing of interest to the game.

Haha Krynn, I love you.

I've never been a fan of Day of Defeat, but it's good news I guess.

Back