Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP VS any other >350,- monitor

Dell or another monitor or wait a little bit

• Dell 2007WFP

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Another monitor

• Just wait a little , a really good monitor is coming soon.

• Total voters

Gray Fox

Reaction score
So I was originally planning on buying a Samsung 226BW, but all that panel business put me off.
Now I see the Dell for 350,- and seeing as it is an S-IPS panel it seems a really good deal, plus it has 1:1 pixel mapping, has hight adjustment, can swivel to portrait mode, has a shitload of connections, 100% dead pixel guarantee, 5 Year Next Business Day Advanced Exchange Guarantee But it is a 20", while there are plenty of decent 22"monitors for that price.

Now, I'm going to be using the monitor for gaming, but also for a lot of 3dwork and photo shop work. A big screen is very handy especially for 3d aps that divide your monitor in 4 pieces.

So I ask you, what would you buy in my place , the dell for 350,- or another monitor for the same price or below.

I have this monitor, and I really like it. But I know its advantage over 22" is the 8-bit over 6-bit panel, which has way more colors than a 6-bit, and I think it might be brighter.

But yeah, I totally recommend it! It sounds perfect for the stuff you want to use it for.

A lot of people just on Newegg's comments say the Samsung has poor color (not sure if it's 6 or 8 bit). I would definitely get a 8 bit panel with good color since you say you do photoshop stuff. The dell is an 8 bit panel, right?

Although both the Samsung and Dell models we are talking about have switched panels after they started making them.
Check this thread. Search "2007WFP". Also some recommended panels based on use.

Just got it a couple of hours ago.
It's probably an S-IPS. I checked the advance menu and it said:
RT803
http://www.hardforum.com/printthread.php?t=1111100

It also has one stuck pixel at the left middle, it's stuck on blue. Unfortunately I do not believe the 100% pixel guarantee covers it, from what I read on other forums the guy only gives you a new monitor if a pixel is fully dead. But it's hardly noticeable.
The colors and contrast are great. And it's size too, now I actually liked reading on the screen more then from a book or mag.

One big issue though, I tried playing CS 1.6, and I feel so nauseous, I also tried hl2 a little and I think that twas making me nauseous too. It seems the screen has a pretty bad response time, and it looks like it skips frames, but that just may be my old pc. Although it should not do that in cs 1.6, the fps was very high.

Does anyone know what is goingon, is it the screen or me, is it just the transition from a 15"to a 20", because from that site digital versus, this screen seemed to have a really good response time.
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6

you're lucky you got the s-ips panel most dell ultrasharps are now PVA panels (inferior) ..it's a lottery as to what panel you'll get

afaik there are no 8 bit 22" screens

Yup I am, and I only paid 355 instead of the 460,- that dell wants for it.

But the ghosting is bad, I mean when I run my mouse over a black background I can make an S with the trail.

I also tried cs 1.6 in game mode, and I did not get sick. I'm going to try to play it in desktop mode again, since desktop has the best colors.

Does anyone know what the game mode actually does, does it sacrifice color precision for response time?
Because the ghost trail that my mouse leaves on a black background, seems to be about the same size, in desktop and gamemode.

Oh and where is the self-test option I cannot find it for the love of god.

Are your running the game in the monitor's native resolution.

Yup, thats why I ran cs 1.6. because I can't run new source games that good, and certainly not in 1680x1050.
But it doesn't matter this monitor has excellent 1:1 pixel mapping.
And even when I tried running things in non-native rez it looked great.

What is the framerate when you run the source games?

Between 20 and 30's. But like I said it also happened in cs 1.6 and that runs at 70-80 fps.

Oh, I thought since you said you didn't get sick playing 1.6 that the issue wasn't there. hehe
I guess that was in 'gamemode'. What's gamemode anyway? Is that a function of the LCD screen? Or do you mean playing in full screen and not a window.

edit:I've read some say they get color banding while in multimedia and gaming mode but not desktop mode. And they say there is some motion blur which you said as well.

It's in an option of the screen itself.
But funnily enough the nausea wasn't really there that much when I played hl2. Can it be the vertical sync?

In any case how it looks like this has more ghosting then my 4 years old shitty benq. Just doesn't make any sense, maybe it's just that the mouse pointer is white and he background is black, maybe the GtG response is much better.

Also have you ever heard of any case where people had nausea when they went from a small monitor to a big one, with a different aspect ratio?

What is your refresh rate set at? I know it doesn't affect LCDs much since response time has a much bigger impact but try adjusting it.

Could be that it is a bigger screen/resolution. Try running lower resolutions than native and without 1:1 pixel mapping.

It can only run in 60hz.
It could be the bigger resolution, I'll trey running in lower, but I'll have to get used to it eventually since this high rez kicks ass.

It can run in 59hz too, oddly, maybe that might fix it?

The different modes are for different things, game mode does sacrifice color accuracy for response time optimization; desktop mode has no banding and is the most accurate for color. Multimedia mode is probably inbetween.

Sorry to bump this thread.
But could any of you please use the program in the attachment to test your monitor, otherwise get it here.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/TIREAL-TFT-Test.shtml

I'm interested in the interference and video noise test, because in the 4th test my monitor acts awkwardly, in the 5th even more so,and 6th test **** up my screen totally, maybe that is the intention, I do not know. In all other test my monitor performs good. BTW You switch between different screens in a test by left cliking anywhere.

Oh and my monitor is hooked up with a DVI-D cable, later I'm going to try the analog VGA. But DVI should be better.

Thnx in advance.

Attachments

• tfttest.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 79
Mine works just fine. What symptoms did you see? In case you're talking about flickering, that's normal because the last few are animations.

Yeah, it works just fine :O. Maybe you have a broken monitor?

Though it oddly says 75hz refresh rate and 13.33 ms :O

I see.
And ricera did you get the same or not?
And did you hook it by DVI-D or by VGA?

I didn't get the same, and I have it set to desktop mode. Maybe I can try it with the other modes.

And I have it connected to DVI-D.

EDIT: Except for banding on grayscale in gaming mode, it was fine with all of the other modes.

Ok thank you for your response.

I just hooked it up via VGA and it was the same.
Then I unhooked this one, and hooked up the old monitor, it was the same at 60hz, but when I put the old monitor at 75hz, it was a little different, it already began to deteriorate at the second image. Only know differently, it had horizontal blue stripes all over the screen, and at the 6 image it was flickering and had those blue lines.

I think it may not be the monitor but my PC.

Back