Did combine launch headcrabs into city?

gweedodogg69

Reaction score
Did the Combine launch those rockets with the headcrabs in them? or did they come from somewhere else? Also...I wish there was more aliens then there was. Headcrabs, Zombies, Barnacles, and Antlions...4 types with at least 2 different (cept barnacle) variations each. 6. In HL1 there was...Headcrab, Zombie, Lil dog thing, Barnacle, Green spit alien guy thing, those mini Nihilaths, Alien Slaves (Vortigaunts), those big dudes with the infinite ammo alien bee sounding gun thing, and of course the grunts and black ops...there might be more. HL2 had the mentioned aliens plus some combine which were really all the same, just different models.

More answers which I would have loved to be answered in a more thorough way. I certainly wouldn't mind playing a free expansion filled with nothing but interactive storyline and scripted events. Would be great to get to piece all those little things together in such a way. heh.

I just want to Combine headcrab question answered, cause...why would they do that if the Zombies attack the Combine?

My guess is Breen fired them to areas to have alot of rebels, to clear them out, he hardly cares if he loses afew combine doing it.

When I did the gravity gun cheat in the beginning (of course after I beat HL2 with no cheats) when I teleported to Breen's office, I killed him I guess and I wouldn't transport out of Breen's office.

I even no clipped that "map" and found the gman, of course I killed him too and threw a body around. Made a .dem file of it. If you want to see it, I'll upload it. I was crackin up when I was doin it.

Heheh, I loved how the Combine used the headcrabs as biological weapons... I'm presuming that the two new varieties are genetically modified originals. What happened to the flyin' crabs, by the way?

Oh, and
I'm sure I spotted a Gonarch in the Citadel, but the .GCF bares no reference to one. It must have been one of those "Synth" biotech war machines that appear in the storage bays (and the .GCF) but not in action, like the Stalker/Prowler. Pity. Might've been interesting to fight...

Its little things like this that sort of annoyed me about HL2. Like I've said, I don't mind them answering all the big questions, but little ones like this they didn't even address...

:cheers: I am pretty sure the Combine launched those headcrab filled pods. There were some launched in the Resistance filled areas, obviously to take care of the Resistance. It'd be better to have more in-depth info though.

It's a bio weapon (active). Combine (from what I saw), shot up the zombies, which were civilian and resistance fighters that had been effected by their bio weapon, made sense to me they were shooting em. Kinda hard to be an effective resistance fighter with a headcrap on top.

Considering they seem to be made out of the same stuff as the citadel and the fact that there are combine markings on the shells themselves, i think it's safe to say that the headcrabs are launched by the combine. On top of that there are alot of those shells (empty and unused but ready for launch) laying around at Combine base in front of the citadel (the old museum like building)

I think the Combine would take care of a lot of Alien species that they couldn't use. They probably wouldn't let any Bullsquids or stuff run around, so they'd just shoot them as soon as they get near a city. As for headcrabs, they use them (to good effect) to supress rebel areas without having to go to too much trouble themselves. They probably only used them in out of the way areas (like Ravenholm) which they didn't go to, but when the rebellion occured, they got desperate and started shelling the city.

The Barnacles could either be a way to stop people going where they shouldn't, or maybe they are just really hard to get rid of.

EDIT: Decided to put that in spoiler tags.

it was mentioned by resistance fighters at several points that the combine launch the rockets with the headcrabs in.

you just have to be careful and listen to dialogue

Heres the deal. Remember when Breen says "its safer here?" why would it be safer? well, because there arent any aliens to kill you. The only time you are outside city 17 is when you are out at the coast and at nova prospekt. Even eli's lab and the canals are still in city 17. We only see the antlions because they would kill off anything else that tried to live there. Therefore we never see the other aliens.

They're bioweapons. If you're the Combine, what is easier...

1) Shelling a town full of resistance with headcrabs while your troops establish a perimeter outside the town (to keep people in).

2) Wasting valuable resources in all-out urban warfare with troops sweeping from building to building, basement to basement...

Clearly, the Combine choose #1. Let the Xen crabbies do the work for them. ;)

Ravenholm has some crashed missils in it...so yes, it was "delt with" by the combine.

Possibly a city that smacked of rebellion?

Quelaar

Im pretty confident this is just another piece of story valve left out. Whats the point of guessing if there is no real answer.

it's pretty obvious. the combine can't control humans effectively if they are spread out, so they do whatever possible to make other areas uninhabitable for humans so they'll go to the nearest big city.

i think the combine originally were protecting the humans, so it became attractive to the people to move where they could be protected from the xen aliens.

however, we all know how that turned out...

Quelaar said:
Ravenholm has some crashed missils in it...so yes, it was "delt with" by the combine.

Quelaar

The Prima Strategy guide explains all this. Yes - the rockets are fired by the combine into areas where the resistance is active.

This is also why Alyx says "That tunnel leads to Ravenholm. We don't go there anymore"

Yes they did, you can see stockpiles of the rocket shells they use to carry them in inside the combine HQ in the museum

Quelaar said:

Quelaar

Yep. Alyx says that Ravenholm used to be an old mining town occupied by refugees from City 17. Obviously the Combine started shelling it with headcrabs to stop that from happening.

It states in the little prima hint book that after the 7 hour war the combine had these type of "janitors" called Cremators they had a large spray hose that dissolved organic matter from the streets of City 17 after an unrest had been quelched. So it seems the combine killed all the aliens that had invaded Earth and cleaned them up. There is a Creamator head in a jar in Eli's lab that Alyx found. I think I have a pic here.

http://img127.exs.cx/img127/8466/hl22004-11-2200-59-49-00.jpg

The stolen build had Cremators, I remember. Nobody knew what they were, though. I really need to get the Raising the Bar and Strategy Guide....

raising the bar mentions that early drafs of half-life 2 had you actually seeing one of the headcrab launching cannons. and yes, the combine built them.

NiteX said:
It states in the little prima hint book that after the 7 hour war the combine had these type of "janitors" called Cremators they had a large spray hose that dissolved organic matter from the streets of City 17 after an unrest had been quelched. So it seems the combine killed all the aliens that had invaded Earth and cleaned them up. There is a Creamator head in a jar in Eli's lab that Alyx found. I think I have a pic here.

Yup, noticed that head too. Looks like the same type of species that Dr.Breen communicates with through the large screen. I'd guess that's the parent/head species of the combine.

Quelaar

Are there any bullsquids in HL2?

A lot of potentially awesome stuff got cut :(

NiteX said:

So THAT'S what it is. I was wondering what that funny round mask was.

I wonder if we'll see the Cremators in HL3 or an expansion. After all, what with the head in the jar, they obviously haven't been wiped from the HL universe...

its obvious the combine use the headcrabs as a sort of biological weapon to contaminate areas so resistance cant go there.

The antlions are perfect for controlling unwanted movement in intercity areas. They just set up those ground-pounders where they don't want the little critters.

Is it confirmed that the antlions were created by the combine as well?

Back