Did you know that Apple did this!!? And they changed their mind..

soulslicer

Tank
Reaction score
My gosh..I just read about this. It seems that as some of you know, flash cs5 released last year if I am not wrong, allowed users to create apps and games in flash and port them instantly over to an iphone compatible program. It was also one of the selling points of the cs5 suite. But it seems that apple decided to ban such flash to iphone applications from it's app store in it's latest sdk, giving a direct blow to adobe.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/08/adobe-flash-apple-sdk/

Throughout 2010, Steve Jobs and Apple made it very clear that they do not like Adobe. At all. They prominently left Flash off the iPad, instead promoting HTML5 at every opportunity.

For some time now, though, Adobe’s had a tool to circumvent Apple’s ban on Flash for the iPhone and iPad: the Adobe Creative Suite 5 Flash-to-iPhone converter, which would have allowed developers to create apps in Flash and then port them over into iPhone.

The new change to the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement, which comes as part of the release of the new iPhone OS SDK for developers, changes all that. Originally section 3.3.1 was only a sentence long, but now it has gained several more.

Here’s the new wording of the policy in question:

“3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).”

As Daring Fireball’s John Gruber points out, the new language almost certainly means that cross-compilers are banned — you have to build iPhone apps within Apple’s pre-approved programming languages or watch your app be denied access to Apple’s app stores.

So right now, flash developed games have ended up in cydia, or as .ipa files that can be shared around in jailbroken devices. Having tried flash cs5 and Xcode over the past few days to develop apps for the iphone, I have realised that cs5 is vastly superior in terms of ease of use. xcode is an absolute bitch, you have to import every sprite or image, and objective c is still a little new to me. **** APPLE!! :flame:

wait..it seems apple changed their mind..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEUNqfk4rw&feature=player_embedded#at=46

Yup, they are also doing some really sketchy things when it comes to all sorts of content. Including ebooks and other content distribution.

Actually, they are ****ing awesome. they lifted the dammed restrictions..how come I had not read that earlier..

EPIC THREAD FAILURE..thread now dedicated to all those who wanna diss apple..

They're awesome because they lifted restrictions that they put in place in the first place?

There are some things that I like about Apple, but I also hate most of their policies and how restrictive they are with all their stuff. If Apple were to go out of business I think it would be a win for the electronics industry in general.

If Apple were to go out of business I think it would be a win for the electronics industry in general.

How so? If anything, I'd say Apple's presence is beneficial to the electronics industry.

I would never own an Apple product. **** everything they stand for...

However, pretty much anything to do with computing owes some thanks to their innovations. Not only that, but competition separates the good from the bad - and if there is inevitably more than one "good choice" for example, iOS, Android, WP7, etc. that gives consumers choices and that's a good thing.

Apple is the only tech company in the world that can do just about everything themselves - except for the components (i.e. capacitors, resistors, LCD panels), but they've even designed their own CPUs, and they've invested 3.9 billion in an LCD panel manufacturer so that they were able to increase output.

If there is a place where they can do it on their own and eventually save money, they will take that option. For example, if Samsung starts charging too much for memory, Apple has the assets to just start making memory themselves. They are sitting on so much bank and have been so frugal that they have almost endless options on the table.

I always had a Ipod but they're Computers are overpriced and their customer base consists of fags (the non gay kind)

While the iPhone is a very good device, being clean, reliable, as advertised, it's just not for me. I like customizing, hence my Rooted Droid.

I love it when someone says "Apple sucks" it's instantly deemed as them being haters. Oh internet

so they allowed flash apps back? that's good.

too bad they recently have been up to some other naughty greedy shit too

It makes sense as to why they take a cut, but I feel their cut should be INCREDIBLY smaller. Hell, I mean they are one of the, if not the, (I can't remember) top company in the US making I think it is around 30 billion a year or more. They don't need to take cuts from other companies because their iOS device is adding subscribers or at least not a 30% cut. I think if they took a 5-15% cut, it would make a huge difference to all the developers out there, and Apple would still be making so much money.

Apple isn't bringing subscriptions. They're allowing you to finally sign up in an application instead of being booted out to a website. However, they are allowing you to use your iTunes account to pay.. so I can understand why they think they deserve so much, but I still disagree completely and feel as though it should be 10% ideally.

Back