Disabling the HUD

Gonkz

Reaction score
I am trying to render movies with the HL2 HUD disabled. For long, boring hardware-related reasons, I'm having troubles when I use the "cl_drawhud 0" command. Basically whatever it changes about the game besides the obvious removal of the HUD is causing me shader problems with some 2D objects. "hidehud 1" doesn't cause problems, but neither does it disable the whole HUD. It leaves the health box and allows the aux power display when running, using the flashlight, etc. I want the whole HUD gone and I'm looking for a new way to do it since the console commands have failed me.

I thought I might replace the HUD graphics with blank, transparent ones. In theory that would work. I don't know enough about Source Engine modding, however. I'd like to keep this simple. I'm already doing a long, involved project without having to learn Source modding. Any ideas on how I can disable the HUD by editing the game files? Or if you know of an easier, better way, I'd love to hear it.

I think a lot of the HUD graphics are in a font (steamapps/<user>/half-life 2/resource/halflife2.ttf I think). Replacing it with a blank font could still leave the grey boxes though.

Back