Donnie Darko

JellyWorld

Reaction score
My cousin lent me this DVD and I'm about to watch it, who else here has watched it? I've heard it's a nice movie. If I'm not wrong it's rated R (which, over here, means I have to be 21 to see it :p) so that makes me 7 years underage. I don't think it's even legal to sell R dvds here, so I think my cousin got it from Canada where she studies, especially since its a Region 1 disk.

I don't think theres anything in it that warrents it being an R rated film anyway..it's just probably gonna be a bit confusing for younger people...it's not a 'nice' film as such, its a very good film, and one that requires a lot of afterthought :)

MrMan said:
I don't think theres anything in it that warrents it being an R rated film anyway..it's just probably gonna be a bit confusing for younger people...it's not a 'nice' film as such, its a very good film, and one that requires a lot of afterthought :)
Most R movies don't have much to warrant them being Rated R anyway, Igby Goes Down had like, one nipple scene and they made in R.

It's an A+ film.
I loved it.
If you love moves that require thinking, you'll enjoy it.
If not... You'll probably not like it as much.
The only things that really warrant an R rating is the excessive swearing in it... and a few..."gruesome"...scenes.

Ok i've watched 1:33 of it and I think I'll go to bed and watch the rest tomorrow. It looks like a scary scene is coming up and I don't take too well to scary scenes at 2:40am

Pussy...

EDIT: Ha, just kidding...

But seriously, what's the difference between watching it at night and in the morning? I've never really understood that?

I don't think it was a scary film at all...it's not even supposed to be...unless giant rabbits aren't your cup of tea, but then i was bought up on Beatrix Potter so im numb to their effects

Clever movie. Saw it ages ago and liked it, but I remember thinking that the ending seemed a bit twee and tacked on.

It's a decent movie. A great soundtrack. However, I found it to be a bit pretentious. I dunno, it's a good flick, just overrated in my opinion. Probably count on watching it a few times.

Bohonkie said:
It's a decent movie. A great soundtrack. However, I found it to be a bit pretentious. I dunno, it's a good flick, just overrated in my opinion. Probably count on watching it a few times.

Overrated?
I'd say it's underrated.

Ok I've just finished watching it and I don't understand the ending at all. Maybe I should watch it again sometime later. I don't get why it's rated R, I don't see a single scene worthy of an R rating.

He gave his life for the girl. Went back in time. I believe. I havent seen this in a while so. Alot of archetypes in this movie.. just research it on he web and youll be good. < google.com , wikipedia.org>

nofx said:
He gave his life for the girl. Went back in time. I believe. I havent seen this in a while so. Alot of archetypes in this movie.. just research it on he web and youll be good. < google.com , wikipedia.org>
Yeah, I figured out that bit...

FictiousWill said:
Great movie. (I'm saying this because I'm manipulated living.)

Nice try, but there is no such thing as Manupulated Living, only Manipulated Dead.

(You might, however, be the Living Reciever.)

Here try reading this site...
It should help clear things up. :D

Quality film with a great soundtrack, as others have already said it certainly makes you think after you've watched it!

Oh and for anyone that can get the BBC, its on BBC2 Saturday night 6th Aug.

:D

DarkStar said:
Nice try, but there is no such thing as Manupulated Living, only Manipulated Dead.

(You might, however, be the Living Reciever.)

There was a Manipulated Living, everyone in the town was the Manipulated Living. Skip a chapter in the philosophy of time travel?

And I'm the Living Receiver :).

Very good movie. Love the lines and acting. A lot of afterthought.

Ok Iam 12 lol and i ve seen it I get because He see's through the future and he see's the what happens to everything in his life so he see's the girl dieing cause she got chocked and ran over so he didnt want that and because the world was ending he didnt want to live so he stayed in his bed laughing until the the Jet engine killed him so he saved every body in the whole world cause if he lived the whole world would end he saw through the future or maybe went back in time i ono but thats hat happened and funny thing is i saw this movie 3 days ago at my cousins at night it's freaky cause the rabbit freaked me out a bit and yest he movie is R rated cause of the cussing lol its funny Chut-up go back to china BITCH!

Tis one of my favorites...It's a good catch, makes you think and such. 10/10

CrackatiCs said:
Ok Iam 12 lol and i ve seen it I get because He see's through the future and he see's the what happens to everything in his life so he see's the girl dieing cause she got chocked and ran over so he didnt want that and because the world was ending he didnt want to live so he stayed in his bed laughing until the the Jet engine killed him so he saved every body in the whole world cause if he lived the whole world would end he saw through the future or maybe went back in time i ono but thats hat happened and funny thing is i saw this movie 3 days ago at my cousins at night it's freaky cause the rabbit freaked me out a bit and yest he movie is R rated cause of the cussing lol its funny Chut-up go back to china BITCH!

Everything you just said is wrong.

DeusExMachinia said:
Everything you just said is wrong.

Indeed it is.

But atleast he actually got something out of the movie... I guess.

Great movie!

But I was damn scared the first time I saw it... Frank looks creepy!

...and I think one has to be at least 17+ old to understand most of it.

Recoil said:
Great movie!

But I was damn scared the first time I saw it... Frank looks creepy!

...and I think one has to be at least 17+ old to understand most of it.

I was 14 when I fully understood the movie.

You, sir, must be very intelligent!

Can you explain what exactly the end of the world is? Donnie's end or the actually real end of the world?

Recoil said:
You, sir, must be very intelligent!

Can you explain what exactly the end of the world is? Donnie's end or the actually real end of the world?

Wait, what exactly are you asking? Donnie's end of the world was the two universes collapsing on each other, the real end of the world for us is anyone's guess.

Nah, by his end I meant his own death.

So, the two universes (different times I suppose?) collapsed, thus giving him the opportunity to time travel and... die before?

Well he never actually time travels believe it or not though he does have the power to. When the plane engine crashes through his house, it creates a corruption in time and generates another universe, a tangent universe in which the whole movie takes place. Everything you see happens in the second universe created from the plane engine.
Donnie brings the jet engine and himself back to the primary universe, giving the engine a reason for being there, closes the portal to the tangent universe and then decides to die. Now, why he decided to die I guess was because he knew something better awaited him or because he didn't want the chain of events that lead to Gretchen, Frank, his mom, and sister's death. If you listen closely, you can hear car honking at the end. That's Frank trying to wake him up.

O LOL IAM SORRY I didnt get it then thanks Deus for pointing that out that helped me sorry guys If I pointed you in wrong direction :)

Its cool, just search online. Especially www.donniedarko.com. That helped me tremendously with background info. And of course, I've read the Philosophy of Time Travel so that helped a lot too.

Ooooh thanks, now I get it a lot more.

(...but you didn't figure that out all alone, that's what I meant earlier :p)

I figured out most of it by myself ;). I was quite obsessed with the movie a year ago, analyzing every detail and rewatching scene after scene to understand what was happening and such. But the Philosophy of Time Travel put the cherry on the pie.

DeusExMachinia said:
Well he never actually time travels believe it or not though he does have the power to. When the plane engine crashes through his house, it creates a corruption in time and generates another universe, a tangent universe in which the whole movie takes place. Everything you see happens in the second universe created from the plane engine.
Donnie brings the jet engine and himself back to the primary universe, giving the engine a reason for being there, closes the portal to the tangent universe and then decides to die. Now, why he decided to die I guess was because he knew something better awaited him or because he didn't want the chain of events that lead to Gretchen, Frank, his mom, and sister's death. If you listen closely, you can hear car honking at the end. That's Frank trying to wake him up.
Well how did he return to the primary universe, that's what I want to know.

Through the portal at the end. When everything seems like it goes backward in time showing the whole movie and then wakes up in his bed.

Oh and as for Frank's motivation, I guess you could say he wanted to help. When someone dies in the Tangent universe, they become the Manipulated Dead and can contact the Living Receiver through the Fourth Dimensional Construct. They manipulate the Living Receiver into doing the necessary events.

Here's the Philosophy of Time Travel. Give it a read.

Back