Don't Drink the Water

s1e9a8n5

Hunter
Reaction score
In the very beginning of Half Life 2, there is a man that says this. Paraphrasing "Don't drink the water... they put something in it... to make you forget".

I never thought about it before but what exactly would they want the people to forget?

I tried the search to see if anyone has talked about this before and nothing came up so if it's been answered before, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Forget the way life used to be before they took over?

Forget even shorter term things so that they remain mindless sheep in their world?

He is saying this: Don't drink the water... they put something in it... to make you forget.
I don't even remember how i got here.

Maybe they are wanting to make them forget how to make children.

What do you mean weren't "awake" at that time, the combine were the ones putting stuff in the water.

Sorry it was my fault.
You are right lefty, I've said that because I've remembered my self when Alyx said: ''The Combine can be slow to awake, but once they are wake, you don't wanna get in their way.''

The Alge's bra. The greatest combine invention since repression field.

I just don't see the significance in making them forget. They're going to have to do what their told regardless.

It's easier to tell people what to do when they forget about everything they would normally have fought for. If you forget your family, your home, and everything that you used to love, it's going to be a lot easier to manipulate you. More mindless drones is equal to less resistance members.

sorry it was my fault.
You are right lefty, i've said that because i've remembered my self when alyx said: ''the combine can be slow to awake, but once they are wake, you don't wanna get in their way.''

lmao.

It's easier to tell people what to do when they forget about everything they would normally have fought for. If you forget your family, your home, and everything that you used to love, it's going to be a lot easier to manipulate you. More mindless drones is equal to less resistance members.
That makes sense. :thumbs:

Yes essentially removing any prior knowledge of their freedom and way of life before the Combine by erasing memories reduces the likelihood people will fight or rebel against their current regime. Just like in the way if you're born into a dictatorship you know no differently. If you have no reason to challenge it, you won't. If you never knew or remembered the grass was greener, there is no desire to hop over the fence.

Maybe they are wanting to make them forget how to make children.
No, the Combine put up a supression field with restricts humans from procreating. We could hash together a scientific reason how, but it's kind of pointless. Just accept it :) With this in place they don't need to make people how to forget how to get their leg over.

I summed up everything correct said in this thread IN THE FIRST REPLY and I don't get shit. It takes til page 2 for the OP to ****ing reply to a post someone ELSE made which said the exact same thing I did.

Die everyone.

That's true,
Which means my theory was not needed, but was correct anyway :)

I summed up everything correct said in this thread IN THE FIRST REPLY and I don't get shit. It takes til page 2 for the OP to ****ing reply to a post someone ELSE made which said the exact same thing I did.

Die everyone.
Global ignore don'tcha know!? ;)

Die everyone.
It takes until page to 2 to reply because I don't spend every minute online waiting for one. Thanks for you're response. For everyone's. I appreciate it. I wasn't thinking of the less resistance aspect if they were in a drug stupor forgetting things etc. I was thinking that they could just easily stun them and what not. But thanks for the comments. More than enough.

And really Vegeta, grow up. Not every response has to have a reply. So what If I didn't respond to YOU. I read yours. I read everyone's. Your message was heard. Thanks.

I don't blame you for taking my post seriously because you probably don't know me very well, but I wasn't actually angry. One of the things I like to do on hl2.net is pretend to make a big deal out of stuff.

I don't blame you for taking my post seriously because you probably don't know me very well, but I wasn't actually angry. One of the things I like to do on hl2.net is pretend to make a big deal out of stuff.
I'll keep that in mind. ;)

Back