Dota 2 Released From Beta

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
3ysvgt6-jpg.24329

The eagerly awaited and highly anticipated launch of Dota 2 is now upon us. After nearly 2 years of development, the game is currently being released a mere month before The International 3.

Numbers during the beta indicated that Dota 2 grew to have the largest active community on Steam, "...with a monthly user base of more than 3 million users, and peak concurrent users of over 300,000." With this information in mind, Dota 2 is initially being launched in a waves system to manage the amount of traffic and stagger it to a manageable amount. This launch format functions as a rolling start, allowing Valve to introduce masses of new players to the game without compromising game or server quality for existing players. The Dota 2 Launch Page notes that the server infrastructure for the game currently features the ability to host "an additional 450,000 players", potentially allowing for around 800,000 concurrent players.

The FAQ indicates that players will be added in batches over the upcoming days. Also posted were instructions for new players looking to try Dota 2.
If you want to give Dota a try, or you have a friend you want to bring into the community, click the button above and you can get in the launch queue. You'll see your place in line, and when it is your turn we'll send you an email letting you know you're in. We'll begin sending those emails this week.

New players will be directed to the tutorial, or "New User Experience," which includes the basic tutorial, AI controlled bot matches, and human matches. You can read the official blog post, with a full blown FAQ and instruction set here, and check out Dota 2's Steam page here for a chance to sign up. Stay tuned for our Dota 2 video review coming sometime in the near future.

Attachments

• 3ysvgT6.jpg
    3ysvgT6.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 34,763
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 10,286
well...that was unexpected. I was expecting it to stay in the beta for a while longer. I mean I know the game is almost done but they still need to add heroes(though we've known not all would be in the final game since it was announced to release in the summer) and some more bug fixes and optimizations never hurt.

Half-Life 3.

No but seriously I don't play Dota so this means nothing to me.

I'm confused. A Dota 2 news post....NOT written by Nick?

Back