Dota 2 Short Film Contest Detailed

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
After being unlocked via the Interactive Compendium a week ago, pockets of the community have been looking for more information regarding the Dota 2 Short Film Contest which will see talented creators take home $20,000 each. A recent post to the Dota 2 blog covered the contest in great detail, including discussing that submitted shorts will only be considered if they are no more than 1 minute in length, related to Dota 2 in some form, include no advertisements or promotions, and that they are rendered at 720p or higher.

film_contest_blog_image.jpg
While these rules might seem a tad restrictive, creators are allowed to use any Valve IP alongside Dota 2 using animation and/or live action, as using the Source Filmmaker is not a requirement (even if it would be the go-to tool for most users looking to enter the contest). The submission deadline currently stands at 4am PDT on July 13 2015, giving entrants just under two months to get something ready. As with the annual Saxxy Awards, entrants will be shortlisted by community votes on the Steam Workshop before winners are selected by Valve. Any and all winners will receive $20,000 each, while it's not currently clear what, if anything, runner-ups or special mentions will be given as a reward. Selected winners will also have their short shown off at some point during The International 2015's livestream event in August, showing it off to hundreds of thousands if not millions of viewers.

If you're looking to take part, be sure to read the full Film Contest Guidelines over on the International hub, as it provides some pretty clear and concise instructions regarding how to go about submitting your entry ahead of the aforementioned July deadline. Now, what are you waiting for? Get to work!

I could see Valve giving out those Golden Camera Wards to the winners as a supplement for a Saxxy. I'm excited to see what videos will sprout from this and maybe I'll finally learn how SFM works and upload an entry of my own.

Back