Dota 2 will be Free to Play; Introducing the Dota Store

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score

Valve has confirmed that Dota 2 will indeed be free-to-play, and you'll be able to customize your characters with items from the Dota Store and Steam Workshop.

Now, the game's not released yet. The Store & Workshop introductions are done in preparation for you and the developers. So if you want to play, like right now, then take this Dota 2 survey to enter the pool for a free invitation into the beta if you haven't already.

In the Dota Store you can purchase items to customize your heroes. But, if you're looking for some immediate free alternatives, then look no further and visit the Steam Workshop.

It's important to mention that Valve is not trying to make this a pay-to-win game, so all items are cosmetic and they do not affect gameplay. Also, you can earn any Store item without paying by just playing the game, or trading with other players. There's a FAQ on the Dota 2 website that answers many questions.

Visit the Dota 2 blog for more info, artwork, and videos on the game.

Press Release:

CONFIRMED: DOTA 2 FREE TO PLAY

Introducing the Dota Store and Steam Workshop Integration

May 31, 2012 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today confirmed that Dota 2 will be free to play and announced the Dota Store in preparation for the game's release.
Upon its opening, the Dota Store will offer items created by Valve and members of the community that may be used immediately and carried over after the public launch of the game. Early Access to the game is not required to purchase items before launch. However, gamers may get into the game now by purchasing the Dota 2 Early Access Bundle of items.
"The opening of the Dota Store is a big part of our final push to launch," said IceFrog, design lead on Dota 2. "With support for the Steam Workshop, the majority of the items made available on day one were created and being sold by members of the community. By making the game Free to Play, we hope to give gamers the ability to decide how - and how much - they want to invest in the game."
Targeted for full release on the PC later this year, Dota 2 promises to take the unique blend of online RTS and RPG action that has made Dota popular with tens of millions of gamers around the world.
Later this summer Valve will host the International Dota 2 Championships 2012 in Seattle, WA.
For more information on Valve and its games, please visit www.dota2.com

Attachments

• post_header.jpg
    post_header.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 11,610
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22,293
In Team Fortress 2, over $3.5 million has been paid out to Workshop contributors since the system went live in Fall of 2010.
Bloody hell.

Key points worth noting: Only cosmetic items will be sold in the store and all heroes will be free of charge.

Still not my kind of game, but I suppose I'll give it a whirl at some point.

Keys and crates, the things that killed TF2.

Damn those items that don't even show up during gameplay ruining the game!

Didn't see that one coming.

Now, the game's not released yet. The Store & Workshop introductions are done in preparation for you and the developers. So if you want to play, like right now, then take this Dota 2 survey to enter the pool for a free invitation into the beta if you haven't already.

There's also an Early Access Bundle from the dota2 store now which includes a beta invite along with some items.

Keys and crates, the things that killed TF2.
True, except no, they haven't even said there'd be anything like that in the game. And wait, I'm pretty sure it was mostly an incredible array of gameplay altering items and weapons that had no sense of balance or class distinction that really did the job. And now that I think of it, whatever argument can be made for item obsession causing the deterioration of the community (which I still think was never that bad or real of a phenomenon) won't be nearly as great due to smaller scale and more personal multiplayer interaction.

True, except no, they haven't even said there'd be anything like that in the game. And wait, I'm pretty sure it was mostly an incredible array of gameplay altering items and weapons that had no sense of balance or class distinction that really did the job. And now that I think of it, whatever argument can be made for item obsession causing the deterioration of the community (which I still think was never that bad or real of a phenomenon) won't be nearly as great due to smaller scale and more personal multiplayer interaction.

http://www.dota2.com/store/?l=english#cat=2

was I the only one that looked at the store?

Oh, my bad, entire post retracted. There will be crates and keys. This game will have to be shit.

Crates and keys are fine. You only get items post-match, and no items affect hero stats or gameplay in any way.

Yeah, I won't lie, my interest in the game went up after I found out there is a Dota Store. Hi, I'm casual.

Back